LOST MEMORIES

LOST MEMORIES

A Story by Breana Seabrooks

"Twinkle, twinkle little star. How I wonder what you are." Her voice echoed in my head, singing that old catchy tune. For some reason, it sounded as though she were right here. I walked into my bedroom and lied back on the bed, covering my eyes with my arm. I don't know why I head been hearing her sing in my mind. My mother had died eleven years ago. I had only been seven. It was the last thing she ever sang to me, and for some reason, that was the only thing I remembered of her. Her voice was angelic. She sounded like a goddess when she had sang that to me. Then just like that, remembering her made me start to cry and become angry. I hated the fact that I couldn't remember anything about her, and my father never wanted to talk about her, no matter how much I asked.

The crazy thing is, I used to remember so much about her, up until the day I had gotten hit and knocked out by that tree branch. I had just turned ten years old. After that I woke up in a hospital room with my dad and stepmother at either side of me. I remembered almost nothing. My father tried to fake his new wife to be my mother but I knew differently. Turns out I had been in a coma for a while, something like 6 months.

I got off of the bed, tears in my eyes, and threw all the stuff on my bed on the floor. Why couldn't I remember her? Why would he pretend this new woman was my mother? I had been so confused. Then I heard a sound. "Little star," I heard. Then it came to me. My mother used to call me that. She called me her little star because she didn't like to call me Envy, like everyone else did. She hated the name and wanted no one to call me by my real name. She didn't want for them to know who I was because then then I would be known, and I would forget. But I never did. "Little star." I heard it again and looked around my room. Nothing. I saw nothing. "How I wonder what you are." Then I saw something, standing at the door. She was here. And then it hit me. Just like that, everything came back.

My father was a mean and crude man. I suddenly remembered that night. My parents were arguing...about...me. And then dad threw her out. She called my name and I came and rushed into her arms. My father tried to pull me from her, but I held on tight, then he hit her. She fell to the floor and some guy came, picked her up and carried her to the car outside. And then he drove away. I ran and hid in the corner. "It's okay," m father said walking to me with open arms. "Mommy's okay. She is just...sick. She will be all better soon. Then she will come home." For some reason I believed him and ran to his waiting arms. The next day he told me she died in the hospital. I thought it was because he killed her. But I later I found out that she hadn't. The guy that came to take her had driven her to another part of the world. And left her there. She nearly froze to death. She came back for me. My father tried to make her leave but she wouldn't. And he did something that caused that tree branch to fall and hit me over the head. It was all his fault.

I looked to my door. She was smiling at me, knowing I remembered. I was alone no more.

© 2015 Breana Seabrooks


Author's Note

Breana Seabrooks
Wrote this from a writing prompt a few years ago. Hope you like. Enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That´s nice, some parts of your story show your worst and your best feelings at the same time. I really enjoy this changes that make me feel between angry and worry about, I can see how you can´t take the song out of your mind.

Cool.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 29, 2015
Last Updated on June 29, 2015

Author

Breana Seabrooks
Breana Seabrooks

Detroit, MI



About
My name is Breana. I love to write, I've been doing it since I was a little girl. I try my best to write something everyday, but of course, sometimes don't get around to it. I guess my real reason of .. more..

Writing
Wild Animals Wild Animals

A Screenplay by Breana Seabrooks