Valentines Day

Valentines Day

A Story by Brenden
"

Sometimes only words can express how important someone is to you

"

*Click* *Click*

*Wrrr*


“Wow. Haven’t used one these in a very long time...”
*Click*


“Hi Peggy. It’s me, your husband. I wanted to make something like this back when we were younger, but my ego always got in the way of sharing my feelings. Seeing as it’s valentine's day and the days are getting shorter for me, I figured there is no time like the present to talk about our story. One that needs to be documented as it was something from a fairytale, a mix of chaos and bliss, a hurricane over a beach.

I remember the first time I ever laid my eyes on you. 10th grade science class. You were the new kid at the school, so damn beautiful. And I...well I was the school nerd as you are well aware as I’ve been made the but end of many of your jokes. I remember looking at you, praying you would take the empty seat next to me that had been vacated all my life. But you didn’t, you sat right over by Dean where a girl like you would end up…  I never gave up on you though. Even after you and Dean started going out I was always there, three rows behind you. So when fate decided that we were to be lab partners I was ready to make a good impression. I didn’t as we both you. Breaking that test tube all over you...sorry about that Peggy. But it was enough to get my name in your mouth and after that our friendship started.

People talk about being cursed with being stuck in something called the “friend zone” but I never felt of us like that. I felt it as a blessing to be around you that much. Helping you with homework, getting food with you, just talking to you about your problems. I knew you thought of me as a brother and I also knew that you and Dean were now going on three years but still I couldn’t stop loving you. So when college happened and you and Dean went to some university a thousand miles away the warmth you provided to my body left and I was a mere shell for the time. Not seeing you for those four years were the darkest days of my life. Then, when I finally saw you again in our hometown, you left again leaving with nothing more then an invitation to your wedding.

But still, you were the apple to my eye. So I went to the wedding. And I watched you two get married. And then when you two moved back to our hometown after college I watched the fights. Saw the tears. And was there every second. So when you two got divorced, I was the first shoulder you went to cry on. Remember, you tried to make love to me right then and there? Never would I have let anybody, especially myself take advantage of you. But from there on, I knew the feelings were mutual.

That first date we went on was exactly how I thought it would go. Terrible. And it was all the better since we were able to laugh at the circumstances the entire time. The flat tire, not having enough to buy two tickets, slipping in the rain and soaking my entire outfit, no other girl I know would have been able to laugh that off and realize that because everything went completely wrong it turned out to be a perfect date.

Then of course there was meeting your parents, moving in together, and finally after four years I decided to propose. This was a decision I made the moment I met you, but I was a man of respect and liked doing it old fashion, so the minute I got your father's blessing I went out and bought that ring. Now that day, that was the only date I ever took you on where I wanted perfection. From the weather, to the my outfit, to the food, you deserved perfection. And that’s exactly what we got. A morning spent drinking on a beach, an afternoon spent hiking in the woods, and night spent in a hotel room with a beautiful balcony is where I finally asked the question, on none other than valentine's day. Cheesy I know, but you know I was bad with anniversaries, so I needed to make it a date I couldn't forget.

You cried terribly, I never wanted to make you cry, but the smile that broke through the tears warmed my life and finally the empty seat next to me was taken. And our marriage was something from a fairytale. Never fighting, never yelling. Fun, youthful, spontaneous date nights.

It was a life too good to be true. And so it was.

I remember the doctor's office Peggy. Walking in thinking you had a cold or some sort of flu. Walking out finding out we were going to be having a child. You wanted to name him after me so we did: Tommy Anderson Jr.

And then I remember walking into the doctor's office again. Not to long after Tommy was born thinking again it was a flu or a cold. But the place that had just brought us so much happiness and life, now told us of death and despair. I remembered how you smiled and told me it was going to be ok. I should have been the strong one but I was weak and I’m so sorry for that Peggy. I was the one who stayed up at night crying and full of fear. And I remember, even in your final moments the last facial expression you had was a smile…..”

*Sniffles*

“Oh god Peggy. I. I. Don’t know why it had to happen. Like this. You were my lifeline, my light at the end of the tunnel. But, Tommy’s doing good, just graduated from college actually he wants to be a uh, architect. Can you believe that Peggy, our little boy building skyscrapers? He’s such a great kid I wish you could see…….”

*Wiping tears from eyes*

“I love you Peggy and I miss you so damn much. Forever and always, your valentines.”

© 2016 Brenden


Author's Note

Brenden
Ignore grammar problems

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
Added on February 12, 2016
Last Updated on February 12, 2016
Tags: lovestory, sad, heartbreak

Author

Brenden
Brenden

Writing
Sideline Sideline

A Poem by Brenden