Pacifier

Pacifier

A Story by Brett Hernan
"

Number .96, in a series from a 240 age monstrosity from between 1995 and 2004. Plenty of others from the same collection exist. Not talking to anyone for months helps.

"


   In that year a comet passed the Earth. The inhabitants of each hemisphere looked for it, climbing to hill tops at night, speaking about it at the dinner table and each person thought the same thought in a different way.

    I was helped to wake up each morning by thousands of factory workers in Hong Kong on July the seventeenth, nineteen eighty five. The lady lived in a valley surrounded by dry rocky hills and cattle. In her photo album there were only pictures of sunsets, trees and the visiting red breast robin.

    Some wondered what the effect would be if it hit the Earth.

The plans for that particular model of paper plane were revealed only on a need-to-know basis.

   That night, the satellite was tracked, as it made its gentle arc between the stars, by a reclusive mad scientist in a bush hut on the outskirts of town.

I enjoyed underwater trampolining.

There was someone watching it with binoculars.

   The kids had hacked into the computer system and were adding zeroes to the cellular phone’s credit account.

Tying a scarf around the teddy bear’s neck under the little girl’s arm.

   The only movement in the dark of that night was in an illuminated oblong where the car port door was still open and the inventor took one step back way past bed time trying to remember what he had forgotten last night.

Grandma enjoyed the TV commercials and said she thought the programs were dull tonight even with her hearing aid out.

So I just up and called dial a phone call. It was engaged.

    No deposit freedom blaze. Matter exists constantly delineating and increasing. In its most prevalent state mind exists founded on temporal cycles, at its most concentrated point lie the relics of the predominant species, in a lion’s den a few bones, a bird’s nest, gems on silver wire, the skull.

   Outside the point of frequently occurring matter hangs an irrepressibly overwhelming immeasurable vacuum in which matter is void of any known semblance to the life forms contained within the world where we find ourselves intersecting.

White hot metal becomes solid steel.

The villain takes the long run.

   Drink, I will drink this solemn sea of blades, confined within this frame, the portals of this forum, enterprises, boots of leather, hand maiden document, spears, automatic doors, electric suction mat, it refuses, I deny.

   Dreams reward in anticipation of continual actions, designated weather vein, mercury rises and falls in abstract measures, it is a sign, a grain of sand, the willow folds the carpet, the murmuring television continues alone.

    Before, twelve in colour, preservation, nourishment, Sun lamp, distortion, compartment incorporated, brush, since nineteen hundred and six, broom, ethereal refund, flaming asterisk, proportionate to the uncompromising linear decay, profuse, divorced, confused under glass.

   Every day I stink beneath the hot glass Sun, I bear the crown of the pulverised rubble, at my back you sit, turn, reclaim, dismember in antiquities flashes of history’s proven maintenance attitude, when you die it disappears, many lives which I have discarded, retreat into the phenol patch beside the empty land for sale, all life trapped, humans need to be told, blood flows.

   The humans violate their own sensibilities and so find it quite appropriate to do so to each silent moving other.

Adult amusement park complex dungeon vodka martini.

“We still have tomorrow.” she said.

“Why only tomorrow?”

“I thought you could do that by yourself.” she said.

“What is it?” I asked and she answered,

“Nothing at all.”

“Very well.” I said.

© 2017 Brett Hernan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on October 15, 2016
Last Updated on June 16, 2017
Tags: Brett Anthony Hernan, Tasmania, Tasmanian writers

Author

Brett Hernan
Brett Hernan

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia



About
Low-resolution sample only. Born 1968. All of the images accompanying each of these written works are my own. (Except that one of the guy putting a flower into a soldier's rifle barrel!) more..

Writing