Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Nigel doesn't like you.

Nigel doesn't like you.

A Story by Brett Pritchard
"

Many children have imaginary friends. But what happens when imaginary friends outstay their welcome into adulthood? What happens when they get ideas...?

"

 

 

Are you scared?

Don’t worry, I am too at least a little bit, but he isn’t.

He follows me everywhere. He’s always at my side.

Watching, studying, waiting, judging all.

 

Nigel.

Nigel doesn’t like you.

 

I’ve always liked you personally but Nigel says no.

Nigel says you talk about me, says you laugh at me and make fun of me.

That’s right you can’t see him, nobody can apart from me but he’s there, Nigel is always there.

Nigel doesn’t need to be seen or proven. He lives through me, beyond me.

It’s a shame that he has such a dislike of you but there it is.

Nigel is never wrong.

 

I was nothing before Nigel you see, I was a doormat.

A plaything for the devious.

A sideshow for the cruel.

Nigel changed all of that and thanks to him, I found strength.

Nigel see’s things that I could never see, he notices things that I would never be able to notice.

 

Like you….

 

Oh yes don’t misunderstand me I noticed you alright, right at the beginning, superficially speaking, I noticed your nice smile, your beautiful face glowing with promise, and you were kind to me…

Nigel see’s past that.

Nigel see’s your inner evil, Nigel isn’t seduced by nice eyes and a lilting voice.

Nigel is cold, Nigel is clinical, Nigel cannot be lied to.

 

I’m not angry, I want you to know that, I’m not at all angry, you aren’t to blame.

All the same, I think it’s best for both of us if you aren’t allowed to continue on this …. Dark path.

 

Now now, don’t cry.

I don’t want you to be upset, after all it isn’t anything personal.

Nigel is just looking after me, just helping me to do what’s best for me and for you too.

You don’t want to be evil do you? I’m helping you.

 

Insane?

 

Insane….

 

Am I?

 

No.

No, I don’t think so.

Nigel might be a little mad  at times that I grant you but I’m not mad.

Why thanks to Nigel, I’m stronger and happier than I’ve ever been before.

I’ve never been so happy.

Hush now, it’s very nearly over.

 

Before I go, before you go, Nigel just wanted me to pass on a message from him, doesn’t speak you see, after all only I can hear him so what would be the point?

 

Nigel wanted me to tell you that for all your airs and graces, all your pretty clothes and smells, Nigel wanted me to tell you that you stink. You’re rotten and only Nigel really understands just how rotten you are.

Me? I can’t see it myself but then that’s Nigel you see.

He’s carried me this far, I’m not about to question him now.

 

I’m leaving now. I’m going to lock this door and go.

Nobody will ever find you here, at least not until afterwards…

Goodbye.

 

Come along Nigel…

 

What’s that Nigel…?

 

Oh, Nigel wants to stay with you a while, stay with you until the end.

 

You see it’s true he’s always with me and nobody can see him, apart from when he’s here.

This is where I found him so many years ago and he’s been following me ever since.

I tried outrunning him you know, but he’s always there.

So one day I started listening to him, best thing that I ever did.

 

Now he’s going to be with you for as long as you have left.

Maybe you'll starve or maybe you'll just scream yourself to death.

 

He’s there, just behind you, you should still be able to turn your head, take a quick look….?

 

Yes, that’s him.

He lives here always and yet still he's always with me.

 

Have fun you two, I shall be going now….

 

Oh now it isn't any good screaming at me, nothing to do with me after all, it’s him.

 

Goodbye.

 

 

 

Talk to Nigel…..



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2018 Brett Pritchard


Author's Note

Brett Pritchard
Let me know what you think...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
Added on June 9, 2015
Last Updated on October 3, 2018
Tags: Horror, Scary, psychological, fear, repression, satire

Author

Brett Pritchard
Brett Pritchard

Wolverhampton, West Midlans, United Kingdom



About
I'm an experienced writer of varied interests. Was published in Starburst Magazine and Doctor Who Magazine. Something of a man out of time. I enjoy Science Fiction, fantasy, and horror stories. I'm a .. more..

Writing