Stay Home Save Lives

Stay Home Save Lives

A Story by Brett Pritchard
"

Stay Home and Save Lives, don't be selfish even while time flies. Live in concealment and do not reach out, Stay Home and Save Lives until time runs out.

"

Prisoner Zero; the following judgement is hereby passed upon you and judgement is to be final.

In relation to the charge of basking in the glorious glow of unrestrained and unrefined hedonism, joy and unfiltered access to all of life’s many pleasures, you are found; guilty as charged.

In relation to the charge of loving freedom, adoring activity, as a result habitually engaging in congregation of a spurious description, you are again found; guilty as charged.

In relation to being dedicated to the pursuit of fierce ambition and drive, as well as relentlessly fighting to retain, enhance, increase and even proliferate your possessions, social mobility and quality of life, you are once again found; guilty as charged.

Your selfish and thoughtless actions have brought modern civilization and all of those residing within it to the very brink of extinction.

Your cruel barbarity, insular affection for materialism and terminal self interested perspective, have withered away and eroded the very fabric and framework of modern life itself.

With your crimes having been of such a serious nature, this necessitates strongly that your punishment must be as absolute and all consuming as is possible on a tangible human level…..

With all of this taken into account, all of these facts considered and the many variables surrounding them placed under intricate analysis, a suitable mode of punishment has indeed been arrived at.
The sentence for your unforgivable crimes against humanity shall be delivered to you now…

We’re sending you home.

Smile not Prisoner Zero, rejoice not, detecting as I do the unmistakable suggestion of relief dancing a hesitant jig across your repulsive features. Listen instead to the sentence in its totality before you permit yourself to revel in your misplaced belief of good fortune.

Oh yes; we are sending you home, there is no subterfuge there, the fix is not in. You shall go home indeed Prisoner Zero.

Home to all of your familiar possessions, creature comforts and adornments. Home, to those who love and appreciate and understand you fully in ways that this court does not, could not and in truth has no desire to.

Home sweet home Prisoner Zero; where the heart is or so they say.

You eye me suspiciously Prisoner Zero, your perplexed but nonetheless accusatory gaze seems to be addressing this court with a question…? What’s the catch?

No catch Prisoner Zero, not as such, not exactly. I deceive you not when I tell you that are to go home, this is utterly true and home is where you shall go.
Home is to become more familiar to you than the very air you breath Prisoner Zero.

In fact, your home and all of the many ‘joys’ within are to become your entire world, your universe, and you are to inhabit it completely. You are to be enveloped within it, force fed it, made to choke on it until the very taste of both it and everything within it makes you sick.

That is to be your punishment Prisoner Zero, you are indeed being sent home but you are going home to stay. You are permitted to venture nowhere else. One foot set outside of the four walls of your humble abode shall Prisoner Zero be seen as the harshest transgression imaginable!

Your sanctuary shall become your hell Prisoner Zero. Your joy shall be rendered to misery. All of the items you hold so dear shall gradually have the meaning squeezed from them, just as your sense of self and identity are irrevocably squeezed out of you. There will be nothing left.

Life as you have known it is now over Prisoner Zero and while your freedom continues to exist, the definition of that word and all that it encompasses shall be diminished in stature to such a degree that it means nothing at all.

I sense a knowing gleam in your eye Prisoner Zero, tinted perhaps with belief that you are more intelligent than this court. Yes the look of relief has absconded, but I detect still a glimmer of hope. That simply will not do.

Oh I can understand it Prisoner Zero, it makes sense. After all; if my word is my bond I send you from this place today unaccompanied. You will after all be free, what assurance have I that you will abide to this ruling and remain at your homestead?

Craftiness is a strength of yours Prisoner Zero, this is something of which this court has taken note over time and is very much aware. However, it is also something that this court is prepared for…. We have you outmaneuvered this time I’m very much afraid Prisoner Zero.

We are aware that in the dead of night when the hounds of pleasure come calling and the thrill of the city light beckons your heart, out you shall slip like a moth to the flame. This has been considered and while indeed to violate this ruling by leaving your dwelling and risking further punishment might be a risk you find yourself willing to take, it simply doesn’t matter.

You see, the world isn’t there. We moved it while you weren’t looking. It’s closed.

Indeed Prisoner Zero it was said to you that your punishment must be all consuming, absolute, an envelopment of justice and rule from which there can be no escape. Ever.

While the dread you feel may be palpable when I describe confinement to your home, unable to venture out into the world you love and all of its wonders and splendor, we have you might say one upped that scenario. For it simply would not be enough to have you remain at home with the world passing you by outside, it must be harsher still. I have taken the world itself from you.

You shall remain at home voluntarily, the deliverer of your own punishment, it’s enforcer even. Because even if you should stray outside, you shall simply discover the crushing reality that all of the pages in your favorite book are blank if you will.


There shall be nothing to miss out on by being at home. Nothing waiting for you beyond the walls of your homely confinement. No system to beat, no oppressor to triumph over, no victory to snatch from the jaws of defeat. Not this time.

This is to be the true apotheosis of your punishment and its beautiful poetic justice.


All that you love. All of those pubs, those coffee shops, those clubs and those places of gathering of which you were so fond Prisoner Zero; they aren’t there. They’re gone. They sit empty, desolate and devoid of life.

We’re sending you home Prisoner Zero and home is where you’ll stay, willingly, because the word has been emptied of everything, just as this sentence shall empty you.


Confined and constrained to your dwelling, your frustrations and anxieties shall become manifold eventually turning inward, becoming self consuming. You shall eat your own heart and consume your own mind until there is noting left.

By the time the world is put back, if indeed it ever is, it will be too late for such as you Prisoner Zero.

By the time your sentence reaches its end, you shall be left naught but a hollow husk of a man that was, while all that you once were inside of your selfish heart shall have been thoroughly digested by your despair. Until given time, your ever enduring despair is all that is left of you.

Until eventually, finally, even your despair deserts you. Leaving a shadow of a person, an idea of a human being, not really there at all. Simply and utterly nothing.
Now leave here Prisoner Zero, leave here and go home….. After all, there’s no place like it.








© 2021 Brett Pritchard


Author's Note

Brett Pritchard
As always I appreciate all views and welcome all feedback. Hope everyone is alright out there and stay strong.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on January 24, 2021
Last Updated on January 24, 2021
Tags: Social Commentary, Pandemic, Isolation, Depression

Author

Brett Pritchard
Brett Pritchard

Wolverhampton, West Midlans, United Kingdom



About
I'm an experienced writer of varied interests. Was published in Starburst Magazine and Doctor Who Magazine. Something of a man out of time. I enjoy Science Fiction, fantasy, and horror stories. I'm a .. more..

Writing