Autumn

Autumn

A Story by Briana
"

This is a story I've been working on for a bit. I don't really know where it'll go, but I do know that I would like to finish it.

"
It was a day like any other. A cool Autumn day that held the promise of joy for her. One week. That’s all she could think about. One week until the day arrived. The day that would determine where she belonged and with whom. She was 24, not yet 25 years old. Her eyes were a golden chocolate brown that shone with unending joy and laughter. She was of average build, her long black hair flowing about her shoulders, free only for the moment. Her tan skin spoke of her latin heritage and her facial features boasted of royal ancestry. In her room, she sat, awaiting the voices in the hallway to cease and knock on her open door. 
She began to braid her hair into an intricate weave that had been passed down secretly by the womenfolk through the generations, a small freedom they subconsciously clung to. She allowed her mind to wander. Suddenly the voices ceased. She quickly finished her hair and donned her plain white cap. Tying it securely as she heard footsteps approach. She wiped the smile from her face and planted a solemn countenance in its place as the Elders made their way into her room. 
There were five of them plus her parents. A total of 4 men and 2 women. The elders found a place to sit with in her sparsely decorated room. She kept her eyes downcast as she awaited the news. “Nicola,” said Elder John. He sat in the chair at her desk. He was a rather rounded man, his facial features grossly puffed up like a balloon. He always blamed it on allergies or family heritage, but Nikki knew the causes of his physical appearance were gluttony and laziness. He continued, “We have come to a decision. We just wanted to let you know that your future and the future of our village has been taken into careful consideration. Trust that we know best.” 
“And,” Elder Michael interjected into the empty space. Ironically, he was quite young for an Elder. 43 Years old, if she wasn’t mistaken and if rumors held true. He was the youngest Elder to ever be elected by the village. Most men would say it was because he had obtained wisdom beyond his years, but once again, Nikki saw past the surface. She knew wives had urged their husbands to vote for him out of adulterous lust for the handsome man. Most of the men were blind to their wives intentions and voted for him over the 56 year old Mr. Garrison. “We are in agreement and we shall stick to the traditions and wait 7 more days to announce the will of the Lord.” The room fell silent as the men smiled at each other and looked at the young woman to gauge her reaction to their news. 
“I am grateful to the Elders for taking such a personal interest in my future.” Nikki’s voice broke the silence. Her voice was low and husky, an alto voice that had always been breathy when speaking. Although the tone when she sang would be considered anywhere from a mezzo-soprano to a contralto, it was a voice that had been passed down through the generations on her mother’s side. It was the reason she’d been confined to her home and watched carefully since she hit her childbearing years. She never spoke in public and always kept her face downcast. She wasn’t to draw attention to herself, for that would cause dissention. She smiled a soft smile and nodded in deference to the Elders. She had a feeling that she would be dealing with them frequently in the future. 
As the Elders left the Barachois estate, the shook Lord Barachois’ hand and nodded to the Lady of the house. They strolled back into town, trickling into the village and making their way into their prospective homes. Markus Aurelius Barachois turned to his wife, a woman he had brought back from war. She smiled at him and led him into his home, his castle. Kashka was a woman of strength and cunning. Her husband had won her as a slave from her home country. She spoke many languages and his was one of them. They had fallen in love and she had been a great helpmate to him throughout the years. They had born a pair of twin daughters, Nicola and Corynthia. They’d lost Corynthia to a children’s illness at a young age. From that point Nicola had been their world. Soon she would know the decision the Elders had agreed upon. If they could have had any kind of say in the matter, she would be staying with them for the rest of her life. But alas, their hands were tied and there was nothing they could do to change the minds of the Elders, not without causing dissention and getting them banished into the Pale. Markus may have been the leader of the village, for the King had given him the land, but the Elders were the spiritual leaders and they would do their job. 
When Nicola went to sleep that night, she had the dream. A dream that plagued her every night since she turned 12 years old. The first time it had occurred, she’d been terrified. She’d woken up with tears streaming down her face and she’d run to her mother. She soon overcame and stopped her childish reaction to the dream and instead began to control her dream. She was aware that she was asleep in reality, although everything she saw and felt appeared to be real. 
In the dream, Nicola walked barefoot through the woods in her nightgown. Her hair was free and she felt powerful. Around her, men lie bleeding and dying, their mouths open in silent screams of agony. Between her and the only oak tree in the forest, stood a weeping willow. Sitting in the tree as if it were a throne, was an extremely handsome man. His appearance promised pleasure, luxury, fun, fulfillment and anything a person could possibly want. But, as in reality, Nikki looked past the surface. She saw behind his bravado. And all she saw was pain, sadness, desperation and ultimately death. He was a ruler of Darkness. 
He beckoned her near and she felt fear and death reach for her. A cloak of sickness fell upon her person and her body trembled, frozen in place. His voice was smooth and sensual, yet her body reacted in fear and she wanted to run, but she was unable to do so. 
“Come here, beautiful.” He stretched his seemingly harmless hand out to her, but all she saw was a hand full of thorns that stretched into claw-like fingers ending with razor-sharp talons. “I can offer you the world. You could be my queen. I could give you anything and everything you want.” His smile looked more like a sneer to her. He thought he had her. He lowered himself from the tree and walked over to her. He looked like a jaguar stalking its prey. He circled her, his eyes roaming over her body like she was a prize or a piece of meat that he was going to purchase or steal. “What do you say...Nicola? I could even bring your twin back. I can offer you the freedom to do as you please. All you have to do is kneel before me and call me master and king.” 
She liked the sound of what he offered. She liked it every time. But she didn’t like the way he made her feel. She didn’t like what he was asking of her. This was always her reaction. Nothing in the dream ever changed. But this night was different. She could feel it deep within her. Tonight, or at least sometime very soon she would have to make a decision to reject everything he was offering or give in to her human desires. She fought within herself and the struggle would have to end. Soon she would have to say enough and make a decision. 
He smiled at her again, cockiness and obnoxious surety oozed from his features. “It’s not a hard decision. I’m offering you the world. I’m offering you everything you could possibly dream of. Just ask and it’s yours. All I’m asking for is just a small thing. Just kneel for 4 seconds and call me master and king. Be my queen and rule the world by my side.” His smile sickened her. It was too sweet. It was too fake. It was too good to be true. She couldn’t accept. But she didn’t want to give up on his offer too quickly. She would decide soon enough. She could hold out a little longer. She gave him a slight smile and turned just a little to the side. 
He jumped within her view. “Wait. Don’t leave. I’m lonely. You wouldn’t be so heartless as to leave me all alone in this cold dark forest, would you? Can’t you offer a little acceptance and understanding? I see kindness in you. That’s all I want. Let me renegotiate.” She struggled to look away from him. He looked pathetic to her. He looked so desperate and low. “I just want love. That’s all I want. I only want someone to love me. Is that too much to ask?” He was trying to play with her emotions. And she did what she did every time. She gave him a smile full of pity and she turned away again. 
He jumped in front of her again, “Wait!”. She stopped and looked at him. He smiled. “I can give you all the things that make you comfortable. You can do whatever you want. You can do the things you’ve done all your life. I can make things easy and help you understand the way everything in this world works. I can give you powers you can only dream of. I can give you the power to fly, the power to make others do what you want them to do. I can give you any gift, free of charge.” He grinned, thinking he had her. His body language showed his arrogance and self-importance. 
She tilted her head, and briefly considered what he was offering before turning once again away from him. She heard him huff as she began to pass by him. “Okay. But you’ll be back. I’m the only one that can make all your hopes and dreams come true. I’m the only one who can give you what you want and need.” She walked past him, keeping her thoughts working through the muck of her mind. She saw a light up ahead of her. She knew it would lead her back into civilization. Back to the world she was so comfortable in. 
As she approached the light, a man stood at the edge of the wood. He said nothing. Giving her a kind smile, a smile that held genuine peace and love, he raised his arm and held his hand out to her. She felt peace and unrelenting joy flood her being. The man never said anything, he simply smiled at her and offered his hand. There was a sadness in his eyes that never really reached her. What was he sad about? Why would he smile if he was sad? Why did he hold his hand out to her and not speak? What did it all mean? She smiled back at him and passed him, careful not to touch him either. As she passed him, he lowered his arm and watched her, making no move to stop her or beg as the other had. This man was also handsome, although not in the same way as the first. This man’s appearance spoke of compassion, joy, love and understanding. He exuded confidence and peace. She tried to see past his surface. But it were as if everything he presented was the truth. She knew he was a good man, but good men died. Good men were used and ultimately became bitter and angry at the world. She continued towards the light and it led her out of her dream world and into the real world. 
She woke up sweating and breathing hard. Sitting up, she slid her feet into the slippers at the foot of her bed. Every night was the same. She made her way to her desk and began to write about this night and the questions that raged in her mind. Would she ever receive answers to her questions? She had to believe that eventually she would know the meaning of it all and why she struggled with this dream every night

© 2016 Briana


Author's Note

Briana
This is still a work in progress.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like your writing style and I think the story could really go somewhere

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana

7 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm really hoping for this to become a short story or even a novel...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

376 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 25, 2016
Last Updated on October 25, 2016
Tags: Fiction, Work in Progress, Struggle Between Light and Dark

Author

Briana
Briana

Plainview, TX



About
I'm a 23 year old girl who's always thought about writing. I'd gotten some compliments about my half-finished stories...but I finally want to finish them... more..

Writing
There Were Two There Were Two

A Chapter by Briana