Daddy

Daddy

A Story by Brittany W
"

:)

"

                The phone rings just as im about to tape my poster of  Zac Efron to the wall, I set the poster on my desk and walk toward the living room where the phone continues on to its third ring. I notice the caller ID says "Freezer Services” and pick up immediately because this is my fathers work.

                “Warzynski residence,” I say jokingly           

                Only this time I didn’t hear a chuckle and my fathers voice, this time it was a man I’d never heard before.

                “Is Jennifer there?” the stranger replies it’s a distraught voice.

                I hang up righter after the man says that. Why would he be asking for my mother? Why wouldnt he just call her work? My stomach dropped and I knew something wasn’t good. The phone rang again and I knew it was my fathers work, I just let it ring and went back into my room. I continued putting up my posters and put the weird incident behind me. Just as I finished, I heard my sister walk into the house followed by my aunt. I went into the living room to see whats going on.             

                “Brittany, grab some of you stuff, you’re coming to my house for a bit, alright?” my aunt said in a rush as she helped my sister put her softball stuff away.

                “Whats going on..?” I asked worridly.

                “Its really nothing Brittany, you’re father just had an accident at work, and uhm, hes in the hospital unconcious but hes going to be okay sweetie, so just don’t worry. We’re going to pick up the girls from your grandmas and head back to my house until we figure out whats going on,” She replied, with a warm smile.

                For a second that smile comforted me, but it also worried me. It was one of those smiles with a hidden message beneath, with the truth behind it. We headed out of the house and into my aunts car. Our family all lived close so it was only a ten minute drive to my grandmas house to pick up my cousins. We arrived there and headed into the house, my aunt rushed to get the girls together and she chatted with my grandma. I was in a daze, things just didn’t seem right and I was trying to stay calm. I could hear my grandma talking in the background.

                “I’ve been praying Sandi, ever since Jenny called me I’ve just prayed and prayed. The girls even prayed with me…” She continued but I stopped listening.

                I saw my sister go and sit on the porch and I stepped outside with her. I didn’t say anything but I did make a small prayer.

                “God please say he’s safe, please make my daddy better and please make sure he’s alright,” I whispered, and then my aunt came out with the kids.

                We headed back to her house and all was a daze up until the moment everything changed and became so vivid. I sat at the kitchen table with my youngest cousin Mackenzie to my right and Candace to my left. My sister sat in front of me doing homework and my Aunt was in the living room. We were talking about a coloring book when the phone rang. Everyone fell silent. I heard my Aunt get loud.

                “Jenny, Jenny! Calm down, take a deep breath I cant understand you..”              

                We all rushed to the living room and sat on the couch,  my aunt was facing the window, her back turned to us.

                “Oh, Jenny, did you say dead, did you say he died!” she began to sob.

                Everything stopped. This couldn’t be. How could this be. My aunt turned around with a look of horror and embraced me, she knew I was the closest. I think my sister was in the bathroom throwing up, and my cousins knowing nothing more, cried. I thought I was dreaming, and I actually pinched myself. But to my deep deep understanding I wasn’t dreaming, I was awake. My world collapsed and I was left with nothing. The one person who meant the most to me, who was always there, who was on my level, who just in every single way understood me was gone. I needed him, my body ached to know I would never speak one more word to him. To never hear his voice again, or hug him, or kiss him, or him be any part of my upcoming life. What the f**k was I going to do?

 

 

Im not going to go on, one to not bore you any further and two, because I’ve lived this moment over and over again in my mind and I know I’ll never forget it. I know it’s a day late, but I wrote this for fathers day because I’ve never actually written it out and I know its quite poorly done. But Happy Fathers Day daddy :) I miss you so very much, I love you and need you with everything in my being and even though its been four years, its really not any easier knowing youre gone, and sometimes I try to supress the thoughts of you because they’re too much, and it pains me to know that they’re only memories and I cant make anymore with you. You were the most amazing person in my life and Im still lost without you.. come back, just for one day so I can say I love you and hug you, or visit me in my dreams so I can see you and for one moment think you’re actually there. I miss you, once again I love you, and Happy Fathers Day to the best dad I’ve ever had.

-Brittany

© 2011 Brittany W


Author's Note

Brittany W
i know its been a while since i've wrote anything, and this by far could have been better but it was what i had at the moment, thanks for listening and reading :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

-_- Speechless. You are such a good writer! My curious mind wants to say "Sooo, what happened??". But I think it is better left with a hearty smile and a hug, knowing what it is to have a dad that shares so many things with me as yours did with you, it would be a disaster not having him around, it would end life as I know it.

It is a pleasure to listen to you, if only metaphorically so. I'm looking forward to read more! Thank you for changing the course of my day, this will definitely remain stuck in my thoughts.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

There are moments that are seared in one's mind forever. Where you were when the Challenger exploded, or when those towers fell in New York. Death of a loved one, especially a father. This story captures the contradictions inherent in such events... trying to comprehend what's really going on... knowing in the back of your head that something is disastrously wrong, but not quite putting your finger on it... slowly realizing how bad it is, and then the hard aweful truth, when the world falls out from beneath you.

Excellent imagery. Thank you for sharing this difficult part of your life.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I'm so sorry for your loss...that's a really hard thing to go through. I can't understand the pain you feel everyday knowing that your father has been lost. Losing someone close to you is always hard. I'm very sorry for your loss and I wish you the best. This was an amazing write. I loved the emotions. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


ok this teared me up... wow, really sorry for your loss. glad you wrote it out and shared it with us, i know that helps. there are so many that have lost parents and thats NEVER easy, at the same time ur super lucky to have actually had a father in your life, something not all of us have. great work with this i m putting it into my favorites

Posted 12 Years Ago


Touching and powerful. Reminds me of a night of horror I had. I'm glad you have those good memories though. Keep being strong.

Posted 12 Years Ago


you are an awesome writer you know. you have a real voice.

my father died a year ago.

i will read more of your stuff. i will be putting on some of my stories too (for anyone seeing this, it is an AD, like read me)



Posted 12 Years Ago



I can relate because I lost my daddy when I was 15. I was the apple of his eye and I worshipped the ground he walked on. I still miss him today. Well done! A very emotional write straight from your heart! Keep on penning!


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm so sorry for your loss, this story brought a tear to my eye. Thank you for for sharing such a personal experience.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Glad to see you back on and writing. We all have to handle loss as best we can. Writing can certainly help get through complex emotions.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

-_- Speechless. You are such a good writer! My curious mind wants to say "Sooo, what happened??". But I think it is better left with a hearty smile and a hug, knowing what it is to have a dad that shares so many things with me as yours did with you, it would be a disaster not having him around, it would end life as I know it.

It is a pleasure to listen to you, if only metaphorically so. I'm looking forward to read more! Thank you for changing the course of my day, this will definitely remain stuck in my thoughts.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

544 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 21, 2011
Last Updated on June 26, 2011

Author

Brittany W
Brittany W

MI



About
Add me on Tumblr, even if we dont talk :) http://bbrittanylynn.tumblr.com/ Hey, my names Brittany and im pretty easy going, i love reading which is probably the main reason i love to write. Anyw.. more..

Writing
Why? Why?

A Poem by Brittany W


Battles Battles

A Poem by Brittany W



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Battles Battles

A Poem by Brittany W