The Three Dollar Bar

The Three Dollar Bar

A Story by Britton Summers
"

A veteran deals with the prospects of being home after years of being in the war.

"
The Three Dollar Bar 

To any veteran who has been disrespected on the home front. Also to my grandfather Tommy, or Grampy, who’s stepdad’s name was John Harbin 

John Harbin did his daily routine. He drove to the work place, he’d work until 5, he’d then go to the bar. John often noticed people strange or dirty looks, he grew to get used after a while, but they always seemed to irk him. It wasn’t his fault of all the things that happened in the war. Politicians often politicized wars, people would hate him for ‘killing the Iraqi children’ and all of that crap or love him for being a ‘hero’. John never thought of himself much as a hero. Veterans had no say in what they thought of the war, maybe except Chris Kyle, who he had seen on the news promoting his book. John was often disgusted by the hate that the man got. John often went to the bar to think about it. The war, he saw action and he saw things he knew that no human should ever see. He did get help for any psychological issues he may have development. He never thought that the war was the worst part. The worse part was getting back home. John knew that vets really had no say, unless you were one to write about your experiences, or protest it, like John’s friend Mark Cranston, he was wounded in the war and when he returned home, he started joining protests, demonizing the vets still in Iraq due to their patriotism. John often saw these kids outside of the Walmart he went to, hold signs and pass flyers to people demonizing veterans. John hated these kinds of people. They didn’t know what John and other veterans did in Iraq and Afghanistan. They had no right to be the judge and jury of people like him. John didn’t always agree with what his fellow vets did. He did see people get killed in gruesome ways. He also saw some of the children who the protester kids wanted to ‘protect’ try to kill some of his friends. John knew that the kids were ignorant and didn’t know what John had seen. John walked into the bar and sat on the stool. The bartender, Joe, saw John and was the usual tender when John came.
“ hello, John. “ Joe said “ what may I get you today? “ 
“ the usual. “ John said 
John laid down 3 dollars and Joe gave him a Budweiser. 
John began to drink from it, He looked up at the TV and saw that on the news what the news usually said. 
“ Same bullshit? “ Joe said 
“ Yeah Joe. “ John said “ same bullshit. “ 
“ how have you been John? “ Joe said 
John looked at him with a bored expression “ I’ve been alright. “ 
“ You don’t look alright. “ Joe said 
John sighed “ Just fricking people. They don’t understand. They don’t understand what us veterans do, Joe. “ 
“ I hear you, John. “ Joe said 
John gave him a sarcastic glare but Joe ignored it. 
“ Those little s***s at Walmart. “ John said “ have no fricking idea. I can’t believe I served two tours to save their dumbasses. “ 
Joe gave him a look of sympathy “ don’t worry, John. They’re idiots. They don’t know what they’re talking about. “ 
John wasn’t satisfied with the answer, but it was a start. 
John stayed at the bar, drinking and watching the news. He really hated the news. All it was were people talking about who’s getting elected next year, gay rights, and other things that John never really cared for. John left after a couple hours. He didn’t drink enough to where he got drunk. John got in his car and then drove back to his house. He saw the Devon building gleam in the distance. He always admired the great sites of Oklahoma City. It was his home. That’s where he decided to stay after the war. John turned on Ike Quebec and began to listen to the soothing music as he headed home. When he got back to his house. He turned off the music and began to walk to his house. 
“ hello. “ a voice said 
The voice sounded familiar and he turned to see his neighbor Jerry standing at the lawn. 
“ hello, Jerry. “ John said “ how are you? “ 
“ I’m fine, John. “ Jerry said “ I’m fine. “ 
John said nothing more and walked again towards his house. 
“ would you like come to our prayer circle? “ Jerry asked 
John froze, but said “ no thanks, but thank you for the offer. “ 
He walked back to his house. John never thought much of religion. He didn’t mind it much either. It just wasn’t his suit. John came from Illinois and he sometimes thought of home. Oklahoma was nice but he always had an affinity for Illinois, his true home. John lived in a house by himself, he didn’t mind it as he didn’t like many people. He would’ve liked a family as it did get lonely. John then went off and went to bed. He dreamt of his old home in Illinois. 

John got up the next morning, he felt it would be a brighter day today and he wasn’t to let it get ruined. He went to Walmart by his house to get some groceries. The same kids were protesting the war outside with a picture of dead Iraqi children, calling soldiers imperialists. John tried to ignore them and walked into the store. He grabbed the things he needed, paid, and left. The kids were still there. John had enough of it. He walked over to the kids and angrily tore the fliers from their hands and threw it on the ground. Everyone looked at the scene. 
“ sir, what the hell? “ the lead kid, a girl, asked 
“ I served two tours in Afghanistan. “ John said “ those kids you try to protect, some of those kids tried to kill me. You people have no idea what we do out there. People I knew! People who were my friends died! I didn’t want to be there! There wasn’t social justice in Afghanistan, it was only kill or be killed. I’m sorry if we bombed a damn hospital! “ I don’t think they knew that! War is awful! And sometimes I regret going to keep people like you safe! “ 
John took off in anger, people clapped as he walked to his car. He then drove off in a fury. 

John drove to the bar. He needed a drink to help him out and also to clear his head. He was sick of it, the politicians, the protestors, everything. He drove towards the bar and parked when he got there. He  got out and then walked in the bar. Joe was there as usual but John saw someone else. It was a women. She had brunette hair and she was also at the bar, drinking a gin. John decided that he should go talk to her. He walked over and sat down. 
“ hello, John. “ Joe said “ you’re early. “ 
“ yeah, off day, Joe. “ John said “ give me a usual. “ 
Joe went to get it and John left 3 dollars at the table and then decided to start a conversation with the woman. 
“ hello, ma’am. “ John said, politely 
The woman flushed and said “ hello. “ 
“ My name’s John. “ John said “ what’s yours? “ 
“ Margaret. “ the woman said “ friends call me Marge. “ 
“ Marge. “ John said “ that’s a nice name. “ 
“ thanks. “ Marge said 
Marge noticed John’s tattoo of his time in the military. 
“ You army? “ she asked 
“ Was in the Rangers. “ John said “ Not anymore though, I stayed here after a while, it’s where I was stationed last. I grew up in Illinois. “ 
Marge smiled “ my ex-husband’s from Illinois. “ 
John smiled “ why aren’t you with him now? “ 
“ divorced. “ she said “ he was a drunk. “ 
“ Then why are you here? “ John asked “ most people I know who know alcoholics often stay away from drinks. "
“ he was a nice drunk. “ she said “ still is. “ 
“ you got children. “ John asked 
“ one. “ she said “ Tommy, he is the love of my life. “ 
She pulled up a picture of him on her phone. He was a small boy, he had black hair and was pale. 
“ that’s nice. “ John said “ he looks like a good boy. “ 
“ He is. “ Marge said “ he’s a doll. “ 
John and Marge talked for about an hour. John told her about his service, what he did in Afghanistan and Iraq, and how he got to Oklahoma. 
“ I have to get going. “ Marge said “ it was nice talking to you. “ 
Marge slid a piece of paper. 
“ call me if you get a chance. “ Marge said 
John smiled “ I will. “ 
Marge left the bar and John followed shortly after. 

John walked outside and to his car when he felt a tap on his shoulder. John turned around. 
“ Sir. “ It was a man “ I wanted to sat I saw your tattoo. Thank you for your service. “ 
John smiled “ Thank you, sir. Thank you very much. “ 
The man walked off and John got in his car. 
“ People must love people like me after all. “ John thought. 

© 2016 Britton Summers


Author's Note

Britton Summers
I have a sympathy to veterans, even to this day. So this story's a bit personal to me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on September 3, 2016
Last Updated on September 3, 2016

Author

Britton Summers
Britton Summers

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, OK



About
My name is Britton, I am a writer, novelist, thinker, and minor philosopher. I primarily like to write science fiction, literary fiction, horror, philosophical fiction, and much more. I also write on .. more..

Writing