Perspective

Perspective

A Story by Hannah Bullock

Looking in the mirror, the reflection stares back.
The first thing that comes to mind is the flaws. Too skinny, too fat, too ugly, bad teeth, flabby arms, unhappy with the overall presentation of the image in front. Scars from the hardships show on the surface of the skin. In the eyes, the pain from the scars unseen to the naked eye shine bright, but is hidden behind a not so perfect smile. Noticeable bags hinder underneath the eyes from the sleepless nights, because of the thoughts of a haunting past mistake or situation. Jaw is clenched, tongue is being bitten to keep back the words better left unspoken. Thoughts such as "Help", "I'm giving up", race through the mind, but are pushed back in efforts to not burden anyone. White knuckles clench nothing but air as every day becomes more of a struggle, before the imperfect reflection grabs at its body, and starts comparing each and every part of the body to something and someone else. A hot tear falls from the hopeless eyes, leaving a warm, salt trail down the blemished, pale face, with more to follow. The reflection sniffles, and the concentration is shifted to the nose. Too long, too big, too small. The thoughts start again, and the tears come harder. Feelings of hopelessness, and giving up on life cloud the mind.

A knock on the bathroom door comes, tears are wiped and the image in the mirror sweeps away as it goes to answer the door. In the doorway which is now open, a familiar presence is shown. Perfect hair, face, body. Everything that wasn't seen in the mirror.

Switch perspectives, to the person in the doorway.

The door opens, introducing a familiar soul. Face reddened from crying, lips quivering as a smile is forced, but the red eyes give away everything. The feelings of imperfection, and unrealistic expectations. Eyes meet, and a reassuring smile flashes upon their face. It still doesn't meet their eyes though. Still standing in the door way, looking upon the person in front. Perfect nose, perfect lips, perfect body. Not too thin, not too chubby. Thoughts run wild as eyes take in every inch of the persons body. The very person who looks like a mess and is so clearly close to giving up and yet is everything the person in the doorways mind and heart wants. So lost in thought, not a word was uttered.

The person infront, tries to shut the door as nothing is said by the person who knocked. 



The person in the doorway, now has two options. Flee or comfort.  Although this decision seems easy enough.. It could be a matter of life or death, depending on which path is followed. What would you do? 

Neither sex of either individuals is specified, or created in a way to reflect upon any certain person, whether fictional or real, in modern day or throughout history.  Unfortunately  even though skin color, eye color or any detailed details are given, statistically 83% of females will associate and picture themselves as the reflection in the mirror, compared to 47% of males. Numbers that are way too high for such an "Advanced" and "Accepting" society. Which is why, as part of the 83% of women, I urge you to seek help if you, yourself have put yourself in the reflections shoes. One of the hardest things in life is living with society's body shaming, for males and females. if you are the 17% of females, or 53% of males who stood in the doorway, I hope if the time comes, you make the right decision. 

But most importantly, no matter who you are, your beautiful. No scars, pimples, yellow teeth, or any other imperfections you see in the mirror can change that. Remember that as you compare yourself to people you know, and the photo shopped pictures in the magazines, someone you know is more than likely comparing themselves to you.  

If you ever need someone to talk to, no matter who you are. I'm never to busy. 

© 2015 Hannah Bullock


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on April 9, 2015
Last Updated on April 9, 2015
Tags: Perspective, think, society