Chance of a Lifetime

Chance of a Lifetime

A Story by Brylee S. Hoffman

Today we are docking in Long Island.  We have been on this boat for almost a month now and my legs are itching to feel solid ground.  We are from Louisiana, my daughter and I.  She’s an aspiring dancer.  She has lived, slept, and breathed ballet since the day she could walk. And this is the only way for her to reach her dreams of becoming a Broadway star.

            The boat jiggled as we slid up to the dock.

            “Honey, come on we’re finally here. Get your stuff together.”

            “Alright mom I’m coming. I really don’t see why we had to take this little boat over here anyways. Why couldn’t we have just flown like normal people?” She said in a scuff.

            “I just thought it would be more of an adventure. Just think now you’ll have a story to tell your grandkids!” I said in a failed attempt to cheer her up.

            “Wow this place is beautiful!” I said as we clunked off the old wooden dock.  It was apparently night time already and the stars were twinkling gallantly above our heads and there was a cute little adobe building that appeared to be vacant.

            “I could really get used to living here, mom.”

            “Me too, but no, little missy here wants to live in New York City.” I teased and she just walked off rolling her eyes in a huff.

            We continued on walking up the shore in silence just taking in all the noises and smells; immersing ourselves into the nature.  Just as I took a big whiff with my nose, it was filled with an over whelming combination of lipstick, powder, potatoes, and carrots.

            “Irises.” I mumbled, not meaning to.

            As we turned the bend, there was a magnificent field of blue irises. My favorite kind.  Somehow in all the darkness they illuminated the entire sky.  I stood there for a while just taking in the aroma.  They reminded me so much of when I was a little girl, running around playing tag in the fields. Those were the good times.  I was startled out of my daze by a scream.  Jane.

            “JANE! WHERE ARE YOU!” I darted through the trees to find her being held down by an old creep in 16th century clothing, “What the hell are you doing with my daughter!? You perv!”

            “Mom!” she whispered, “Shh! I’m pretending to be his prisoner! Just watch.” More men in goofy costumes rode up on their horses and one came trotting in from the water.

            “You crossed into my land my lady, are you a spy from the other side?”  The man bellowed to be sure everyone could hear.

            “No, I swear I’m not!”

            “Liar! Tell the truth!”

            “Um Bob it’s 11 o’clock already. I have to get home to my wife,” Said an unidentified voice from the other men.

            “Really? Time does fly when you’re having fun!” He turned to Jane, “Thank you for your assistance young lady.” And he bowed to her.

            “Oh it was no problem. I had a blast!” I was so confused right now and on the verge of screaming at someone for some unknown reason.

            “Will someone please explain to me what the heck just happened here!?”

            “Let me introduce myself ma’am. My name is Bob. What you just saw here was a bit of a reenactment from the renaissance time. We like to get together on the weekends and have fun,” he said beaming.

            “And why did you need my daughter for this?” I said calming down, but only a little.

            “She asked what we were doing so I told her and she was interested so I asked her if she wanted to be a part of it and she said yes.” He looked at me solemnly, “I didn’t force her into nothing. I promise miss.”

            “Phew! That was a pretty good show you guys put on out there.  You really had me convinced.”     

            “Sorry for the scare, it was all in good honest fun. So anyway what are you two beautiful young ladies doing out in the wilderness?”

            “We just got off a boat on the beach and now we’re on our way to the bus stop to NYC.”

            “Oh that’s a long ways away. What’s there?”

            “Broadway, I’ve got an aspiring ballerina here,” I looked over at Jane. She would never know how proud of her I am.

            “Wow, you know I’ve always wanted to be on Broadway,” he pondered, “I’ve just never had the guts to audition.”

            “You should come with us!” Jane interjected.

            “No I don’t think so; I have a life here for me. I can’t leave it.”

            “Well we better be off, It’s been great meeting you, Bob,” I was getting too tired and we had a while to go.

            “Goodbye my ladies.” And he bowed out.

            “Jane, don’t you ever do that to me again!”

            “I’m sorry mom, it was fun though.”

            “Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever.” This time I was the one that walked off rolling her eyes. 

            We walked on to the bus and eventually made it to our new apartment in New York City. However, I had never thought about furniture. The pictures were fully furnished.  So then we went on an adventure at 3 o’clock in the morning for some mattresses. I was in love with the fact that this place doesn’t close down at 8 o’clock at night. We found everything we needed and I mean everything!

We got someone from the store to drive us along with our couches, beds, and dressers. You name it we bought it.  As we were carrying our stuff to our rooms, Jane dropped everything.

            “Oh my gosh, mom! They’re holding open auditions for a play on Broadway! We have to go! Please!”

            “When is it?” I asked already knowing my answer.

            “Tomorrow! Please, please, please!” she pleaded.

            “Well we didn’t come all this way to pass up an opportunity like this, now did we?”

            “AH!!!! THANK YOU, MOM!!!” She shrieked and bounced.

            “Now get to bed, you need rest!”

            She hopped up the stairs, twirling, and singing all the way up. This could be the one; the role and opportunity that can change her life forever.

            We got up bright and early in the morning so we were the first in line. Then they called her in to start the day long auditions.  I pulled her into a hug.

            “I’m so proud of you.  Make the most of it honey, this is a once in a life time chance. Now go nock them dead.”

            I sat there for hours upon hours waiting for even one update.  She finally came out around 3 in the afternoon.

            “Mom! Guess what!? I got a part!” Chills filled my body, it actually happened.

            “AH! I’m so proud of you!” I practically bulldozed her with a hug

            “ And here’s the kicker! Guess who my dance partner is!”

            “Hey there miss, it’s great to see you again.” That voice was so familiar. I turned around to see his face.

            “Bob?!”

© 2011 Brylee S. Hoffman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on September 28, 2011
Last Updated on September 28, 2011

Author

Brylee S. Hoffman
Brylee S. Hoffman

Santa Maria



About
I love to write!!! but i never let anyone read my stories. :) I tend to write more of the teenage romance stories. Please read and review them! I can use all the help i can get! Thank you and enjoy!.. more..

Writing