Pitbulls

Pitbulls

A Story by Bubbles
"

General Education on Pitbulls

"
First things first, lets get one fact straightened out. "Pitbull" is one of the broadest terms to date. When somebody uses the term "pitbull" it could mean any one of these breeds, so don't fall prey to what most do, assuming things about the dog not knowing anything specific about the dog or the actual breed.
An American Pitbull Terrier is a medium sized, solidly built, short haired dog commonly nicknamed pitbull, though they are not quite as muscle built as the stereotypical pitbull.The American Staffordshire Terrier on the other hand, is that stereotypical animal that is so discriminated against. They are the same size as a Pitbull Terrier, but heavier built, which leads to looking more intimidating to most people whom have no experience with the breed.The American Bully derives from the American Pitbull Terrier, but is generally smaller.A Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a smaller, stubbier built version of a Staffordshire Terrior, often confused with a bulldog. The American Bulldog is a working dog a little different from a Staffordshire Terrior,  but definitely stands out in a crowd.Last but not least is a Bull Terrier, which is a breed of dog in the terrier family, with a rather stubborn temperament. As you can see, when someone claims the word "pitbull" anywhere, it can mean so many different animals which are all unique in their own way.
When i use the term pitbull, I am using it to cover all of the above dog breeds. There are quite a few things that are commonly heard about pitbulls that aren't real, just more hate against a breed like another. They do not have locking jaws, which is the most common assumption, they are just very strong and you must be mindful of that.They are not all inherently vicious. That is a generalization only taking into account the stories that make it into media, which are all bad, never with enough information on the story, and constantly criminalize pitbulls because they are born with more muscle than others. No dog is born mean, just made that way. Any dog, no matter the breed, should be trained and worked with to gain a mutual trust and bond.It doesn't matter the breed, any dog can be aggressive or ill mannered. From the smallest of beagles to the biggest Staffordshire terriers, if you are not willing to put in the time to spend working with this living being, than you have no business with a animal anyways. Do not stand in the fire and complain that it is hot, do not take in this living animal and expect it to be well mannered and socialized without spending anytime or energy teaching it to become that way. It is animal abuse to neglect your animal of training, because when that animal does that gets it in trouble, not knowing right from wrong, nine out of ten times the animal will suffer death and the human may have to pay a fine at most. It is not fair or right so sentence animals to death just because you are careless or lazy. The truth is that if not given the proper attention and care, they can be aggressive and dangerous, but this is something you should know before getting a pitbull. This is not to scare you away or frighten you of pitbulls, just to let you become more aware that they are a handful and even if you have the best trained sweetest pibbie in the world, people will still be cautious of your animal.
It is true that they are a more aggressive breed. But that is not their fault in any way shape or form. Humanity twisted their loyalty and forced them to fight other animals. People bred them for aggressiveness to get their kicks off. People put them in fighting rings and made them fight till the death. The truth is that Pitbulls predate the United states, they were bred in England for bull baiting and were brought to America by settlers who used them for other reasons. Besides that, they had many uses on farms, from hunting and protection to helping livestock.In World War 1, They were used on posters for army recruitment and other advertisements as a representation of the United States. In the UK they quickly gained a reputation for being trustworthy with humans.They were valued in the United States for more than their fighting abilities, they were entrusted to protect homesteads from predators and were vital helpers in many forms.They were also constantly held responsible for watching after and taking care of children. As cities grew, Pitbulls remained a much loved animal for they had amazing qualities of friendly brave hardworking animals. While that is true for many dogs, quite a few didn't have such a glorious tale.Many suffered from unpeakable cruelties, and the relentless biases of a misinformed public. The all loved dog began to be exploited through dog fighting in huge numbers in the eighties and were soon associated with thugs and poverty and crime. The media shamefully capitalized on fears by promoting stereotypical images and their entire image was slowly but surely dragged down with horrible headlines and damaging stories. While many fight with me to restore Americas sweetheart back to their original place of honor, some still take a kick in taking their animals loyalty for granted and making them do horrible things, even though it is a felony in all states.Even the most responsible owner will face discrimination and hate. The larger threats to these animals are more mainstream than the threat of dog fighting, and result in losing their homes and a early death, being sacrificed to a crowded shelter because nobody dares take in a "dangerous animal". Despite the pressures many of these animals and owners endure, they are still and will always be this countries hero dog.
If you plan on owning one of these breeds listed, you must know that they will need lots of time and energy dedicated to perfecting their temper and manners along with training. They will need lots of space, and the best thing to do would be to get your animal spayed/neutered. There are enough animals in this world without homes or families, be a responsible pet owner and fix your animals. Pitbulls in general don't cost lots of money in grooming because they don't have a lot of hair to hide dirt and bugs in. They have lots of energy and will need to be able to run free and play and jump around or the nervous energy will build, meaning lots of chewed up items and reckless behavior.Given time and attention they can have a amazing temperament and are generally great people dogs. They will have to be slowly introduced to lots of people and other animals though, as they can be very protective and that needs to be worked with. If you are not sure you can properly provide for this animal for up to 15 years, than do not get one, the world does not need another homeless animal.Pitbulls are highly affectionate and make for great service or therapy doggies. While the cards may be stacked against them, any dog can be an amazing partner given a chance.
While some say I am biased because i was raised with bulldogs and staffordshire terriers, I am not. I have seen both sides of this animal, I have lived beside people who owned fighting dogs, i saw them starved for aggressiveness.I've been attacked by animals who weren't taken proper care of or given any love and attention and were in turn spiteful and neglected.  I took in a pitbull with my mother who was three years old, abused and neglected and never once did he ever show anything but loyalty to me ,and would've given his life to protect me from any danger. Given a chance and a shot in the dark, they are the sweetest most kind and dedicated animal you will ever encounter.
The discrimination against pitbulls will never magically stop, but being informed of the facts about them and the breeds and spreading this information will greatly increase their chances of once again being valued as a living being rather than a dangerous killer. All a pitbull wants to do is please its owner, which unfortunately can be used to its demise. Don't be that person. Do the right thing.Love all animals.

© 2016 Bubbles


Author's Note

Bubbles
I apologize for any grammatical issues

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on December 15, 2016
Last Updated on December 15, 2016
Tags: pitbulls, dogs

Author

Bubbles
Bubbles

Alford, FL



About
I'm a pitbull activist and general dog enthusiast, i love spending time with fluffies and i love educating people about dog aggression. more..