My jolly sailor

My jolly sailor

A Story by Kat Loch

“No, you can’t; not with the British waiting for you out there. You won’t return, Will. I, no one, will be able to bear it.” A girl clothed in a floor length, pale green dress stood with proper posture in front of William. Her light blond hair seemed to tumble down her thin back as she anxiously ran her hand through her hair.

As I stood in the archway, I studied the determination on Will’s face. It showed his broad courage and fearlessness. He spoke back to the girl in low tones that I could fortunately hear.

“Sophronia, I must leave. The French will not wait.” He took her hands in his and stroked them with his thumb.

I leaned against the stone arch, spinning the bracelet Will gave me when he proposed two years ago. It now was often on my wrist, beneath my sleeves so no one could see it; especially Will himself. If he did, he would never speak with me again.

Glancing up at him once more, I saw him lean in to carefully kiss the girl on the lips. I smiled to myself and covered my lips to hide it. Ever since I’d met William, I knew he’d be something maybe a little closer than friends. And since he called off the engagement, I’d grown away from him and settled as just friends; so, in the end, it just makes me happy that he’s found someone perfect for him.

The girl turned on her toes and walked in my direction, pulling out a handkerchief from one of the almost invisible pockets on the sides of her dress. She wiped her eyes carefully and gracefully stepped up the stairs.

“Morning, Maria Eve.”

“Good morning, Miss,” I pushed myself off the arch and bowed courteously for her, even though I really didn’t need to.

I listened to her shoes scuffling the stone ground of the hall fade before I slowly made my way down to Will, who was walking in short, tight circles.  He had his hand on the hilt of his sword, drumming his fingers on it softly.

As I neared him, standing in the pale gray sand of the beach, a delicate wind picked up. It played in Will’s dark, mid-back length hair that fell in ringlets, giving off the appearance of a true pirate that ploughed the seas fiercely.

He heard me coming, for he stopped mid-step and turned to face me. His black eyes were rimmed with purple that of sleepless nights and they seemed to pierce me as I approached.

“Maria, nice to see you today.”

“Will,” I nodded in greeting to him and stopped a few feet in front of him. I tightened the shawl that embraced my shoulders while the wind still danced around us. Gazing out onto the sea, I noticed the familiar ship that peeked out from behind a great cliff.

If his ship was ready, why was he still here, about the shore?

“How are you doing today?” He shrugged, loosening up his shoulders.

“Oh, fine. How about you?” I straightened out the dress that was crinkled around my hips. Whilst I was doing that, I noticed that my hands were slightly shaking. Odd.

“Maria, oh, I’m so confused!” His hands flew to his face and he clawed his cheeks with his fingertips. “Sophronia said she’s with child and that I shouldn’t leave. She thinks I’ll die, fighting against the British. And the worst part of this all is that I’m almost positive that her child isn’t mine…”

William fell to his knees, sighing heavily. His sword made a scraping sound as it caressed the earth.

Breaking the quick, but awkward silence, a cannon shot through the air and exploded in the gray sky.

Will leapt to his feet faster than I ever thought possible for a man with sorrow and confusion filling him. He turned to me, yanked me into a gentle hug, patted my arm, and raced up the slight hill that led to the cliff.

I crossed my arms and let nature play like children around me as I stared at his ship preparing. Within minutes, it was further out in the open and I could see Will standing at the helm, jacket flying out behind him.

As time passed, I gazed out into the darkening sea to watch his ship fade on the horizon.

© 2011 Kat Loch


Author's Note

Kat Loch
:P

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

nice I like it it reminds me of Pirates of the Carribiean on stranger tides

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
1 Review
Added on December 23, 2011
Last Updated on December 23, 2011

Author

Kat Loch
Kat Loch

About
I've learned my lessons and burned them into my heart. Here I am again, trying to live like no bad had ever happened and trying to reteach myself to forget and only hold onto what's actually going to .. more..

Writing
xxx xxx

A Poem by Kat Loch


Let me in. Let me in.

A Poem by Kat Loch