The concept of respect

The concept of respect

A Story by Shadow25

Through what I’ve seen as I’ve grown up is that there is a lack of understanding of respect between older generations and younger generations. Respect is interpreted in different ways, but the one thing that everyone should understand about respect is that it’s given and earned. The lack of understanding from older generations stems from here as they expect to just be given the respect from younger generations when most of the time they are not giving respect back in the manner in which they want to be treated. It’s safe to say that they act hypocritically when it comes to this topic of respect.


The definition of respect is, “Respect is a way of treating or thinking about something or someone,” (Vocabulary, 2020). To break the term ‘respect’ down to its raw basic principles it’s based on having a courteous manner towards other people and taking their emotions, circumstances, and thoughts into consideration. It’s often confused that obedience is an act of respect. Being obedient doesn’t mean that you’re respectful. For example, if you’re being told by your elders to do something that goes against what you feel strongly about and you have to break your values and morals just to obey them you are being obedient, but not respectful. This is not being respectful to yourself and living a life where your actions uphold what you believe in and comply with your values and morals that you live by. It’s also disrespectful on their part as they were not respectful in the sense that they had no consideration for how you felt about what they had asked you to do and expected for you to just do as you're told and to be obedient because to them this is what they see as being “respectful”.


Respect is a complicated matter because there isn’t just one type of respect. Respect is given and shown to any person, including yourself, as well as objects, both animate or inanimate. Respect between people is given and received. Just because someone is seen to be inferior to you does not give you the right to not show them respect as we are all human- we are all the same and should be valued and treated the same.


We need to start treating other people how we would like to be treated by them. Elders expect us to just give respect when they should be setting the leading example and teaching the younger generations that respect goes both ways. Instead, they are stripping generations from who they are and forcing them to oblige and in turn, lose respect for themselves and their morals or values.


One type of respect is no more important than another and everyone needs to start thinking and making a concerted effort when it comes to respecting. It’s a complicated matter and things are not just black and white. Respect falls part of the grey area of life due to its complicity but the more we open our minds to the concept of respect and what it entails, the more we will understand and grow into becoming mindful people.




© 2020 Shadow25


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

15 Views
Added on July 28, 2020
Last Updated on July 28, 2020
Tags: respect, generation gaps