Just Like You

Just Like You

A Poem by Broken Wings
"

A poem about past pain and personal growth

"
I live in a house too, but mine is so different from yours, you walk on carpet and I walk on eggshells.

I have goals and dreams too, but mine you already have so they seem simple to you, but to me they mean everything.

I have a past too, but it's like the stories you read about in your morning newspaper, to you they are just sad stories about strangers or problems in the world, for me it's an everyday struggle in a seemingly endless reality.

I have family too, but they are the opposite of yours, yet you still are blind to how lucky you are, you have the family I always dreamt of.

I go on holidays too, not to a place with sunny beaches or luxury spa retreats, but to a place deep inside my mind to escape the outside world and it's demons.

I have secrets too, not about boys or gossip, or the latest fashions, but about things that break the heart and force you to grow old, secrets silenced.

I'm different too, the type of difference that isn't celebrated and nurtured, but mocked and rejected out of fear and ignorance.

I get afraid too, not of the boogie man but of the very place I should be loved, I'm afraid to speak, to do wrong, to sleep and to wake.

I have anger too, not because I can't play with my friends or watch television, I am angry at myself for being so unlovable and angry at the world for leaving me in this place.

I love just like you, but I don't receive it and have no one to give mine to.

I cry just like you, wet tears on my pillow as I pray for change or an angel to take me out of this place.

I have strength just like you, except I use mine to survive daily. A strength stronger than any metal, a strength that can scale the tallest buildings.

I'm grateful just like you, to be alive, to have clothes on my back regardless of brand, food and shelter from the unforgiving forces outdoors, I know what it's like without them.

I grew up just like you, with a different past, different experiences and struggles, but still made of bone and flesh like you.

so maybe I'm not like you, maybe I've suffered, maybe I've survived not lived, maybe my achievements seem small and I'm quiet and shy, maybe some days I break down and need an escape but its one untaken, maybe I'm poor and have no family to call my own, but maybe I'm proud.


proud to survive, proud of my strength when tested. Maybe I'm rich in other ways, in experience, character and heart, I'm grateful to have what I have, to have overcome so many struggles and turned out like this when it could have been so different. I could have been like them, the ones who made me suffer but I am stronger than that.

I am me and no one can take that away, even though the took everything else, I will fight and survive, I will always love and smile, because  I am proud.

© 2013 Broken Wings


Author's Note

Broken Wings
Sorry for any grammar mistakes or spelling errors. Your feedback would be gladly accepted.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is an honest poem. Every line speaks of nothing but the sad truth about life. Yeah, we all experience same things in life, but the intensity or depth is different. We all ate, but we eat different kinds of food. We're not the same in all aspects. I like the analogy you put here.

Punctuation again, in separating two different ideas in every line. But that's not a crime. So, cheer up! You've done just great. I'll read it again once it's edited.
Thanks for posting this.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

"I'm different too, the type of difference that isn't celebrated and nurtured, but mocked and rejected out of fear and ignorance."
and
"you have the family I always dreamt of."

these lines hit so close to home, I really connected with the piece of writing it honestly left me in awe, and speechless, you have no idea. you are brilliant this is amazing, be you, the best you can be no matter where you came from it just matters where you go. I loved this, thanks for entering my contest also, and the thanks for the time to view my contest and submit. thanks, again keep writing I have such high praise for this piece.



Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Broken Wings

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much hun! Wow that really means a lot coming from you, I love your work too. I'm sorry .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
DJ
A profound and honest view on the harsh realities of life. I agree with all that wolfwind said. Many do turn a blind eye to the suffering of others and some are far too quick to judge without knowing the person or their struggles. I connected to this piece and look forward to seeing more of your work in future, it comes from a very real and painful place and I think its beautiful.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Broken Wings

10 Years Ago

Thank you Cairo, your words mean a lot to me, especially from such a great writer as you are.
DJ

10 Years Ago

You are very welcome :)
A very deep and powerful piece of poetic prose. It takes us through the harshness of real life that exists in many places. Your words show us the very real truth that many people turn a blind eye to the hardships of many others upon the surface of this planet.
I would wish that more people had the strength to over come as you have shown here. It would make the world a better place. I also wish that more people looked outside themselves to see those who live a different life.

Thanks for sharing!
Aaron

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Broken Wings

10 Years Ago

Thank you Aaron, your comment is really kind and I am so glad that you understood this piece. I agre.. read more
This is an honest poem. Every line speaks of nothing but the sad truth about life. Yeah, we all experience same things in life, but the intensity or depth is different. We all ate, but we eat different kinds of food. We're not the same in all aspects. I like the analogy you put here.

Punctuation again, in separating two different ideas in every line. But that's not a crime. So, cheer up! You've done just great. I'll read it again once it's edited.
Thanks for posting this.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 28, 2013
Last Updated on July 30, 2013

Author

Broken Wings
Broken Wings

New Zealand



About
Hi everyone, I am a student in beautiful New Zealand. My writing stems from my personal experiences and emotions. I am wanting to better my skills, read all your creations and express myself through .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..