Last Wish

Last Wish

A Story by Broken Hearted Faux
"

Warning! Some readers might cry!

"
It’s been years since I’ve seen Charlotte, and I’ve often thought about her, wondering if she’s alright and out of the hospital. Countless times over the years I’ve tried to hunt her down and visit her but haven’t had so much luck.

I’ve married since then, the last time I had seen her. She had been in and out of the hospital over the last few months of college, our last year. She had read up on her ancestors one day on the computer, finding out horrible news of Cancer was on her dad’s side of the family.

That very next day I had found her curled up on her bed, hands balled around a crumpled paper, and a positive on her blood test. The poor 17 year old, blonde girl, the one who was my best friend since kindergarten, had just found out she had Cancer.

She had told me that the doctors offered many treatments and promised to make her better. She had gone in, clinging to that promise, and my hand. Day after day, her usual routine. I had to watch my best friend get worse, and worse, till finally she couldn’t leave her bed from all the chemo, and she had gotten sick.

“They promised….” She spoke up weakly. “They promised…”

I squeezed her hand and nodded. “I know, Charlotte…I know.”

Her sad, blue, bloodshot eyes trailed over onto my face, and the best smile she could muster was there, shining dull, but it touched my heart. I wiped a tear from my cheek, bent over and kissed her nose, squeezing again.

“Everything’s going to be alright.” I promised quietly.

She nodded her baldhead, grabbing her nightcap and sliding it on as I picked up my backpack. She slowly rested her back against the hospital bed, and I tucked her in, giving her a small nuzzle before stroking her cheek.

“Rest good, Char.” I headed toward the door. “I love you.”

Her face beamed the best it could again. “I love you too, Vi.”

The lights dimmed as I left, and the doors quietly swung behind me. Another long day after school with Charlotte…I rubbed my eyes and ignored the time on my watch. The staff gave me the usual goodbye, using my name like we were friends. I had made it to my car that night, through the cold, chilly air and climbing into a warm vehicle. The usual pain struck my heart though as I pulled out of the driveway.

It was the every-day panic of worrying too much on the inevitable. Was Charlotte ever going to be better? Would I ever have her in my classes again? Would I ever be able to laugh with her normally again? Who would take her to Prom?

The girl with no hair…

A smile perked on my lips a little.

I would. If no other guy would, then I would. I loved her enough to always be there.

My memories take a pause, as there’s a knock to my front door. I’m the only one awake, finishing up the last of the dishes. Carson had fallen asleep watching Transformers, while John fell asleep on his bed out of town on a job trip, reading his usual chapter of his new novel.

Grabbing a hand towel off the counter, I run it over my hands a few times to get them damp before I open the door. I found myself staring at a bundled up form of Charlotte. Cheeks bright pink, nose a little frost bitten, her smile radiant as ever. She waves gently at me, revealing a mitten on it, and shivering to shake me from my trance.

I usher her in, taking her jacket kindly and hanging it with the others. My eyes flash towards the flow of her blonde hair out the back of her beanie and I beam. My fingers automatically run through it, and she smiles gently.

“You’re all better…” I found my mind speaking for me.

Her answer is hesitant, but I let it slide, “Yep, all better.”

“And your hair grew back!” I exclaim, hugging her tightly. “How did you find me?”

She shrugs, smiles gently again, “Wishing I guess. I wanted to spend tonight with you…I’ve missed you a lot.”

Tears fill my eyes and I drag her into another tight hug, “I understand the feeling…we haven’t seen each other in years.”

She nods, takes my hand, “Could you do me a favor?”

“Of course, anything,” I smile, heart racing like a horse.

She beams, “Would you put on a song, and dance with me?”

My head nods quickly, up and down, making me dizzy, but I manage to guide her to the living room. After putting Carson into his bedroom and shutting the door while turning on his nightlight, I return back to Charlotte who’s sitting by the fireplace, hands outstretched toward the flames.

With her back to me, I can see her blonde hair in a wave down her back, covering her shoulders and blue sweater. Her jeans cast shadows on the carpet that dance with the flames, and making small waves over her shoes.

I help her up and guide her to the stereo, playing a techno song, but getting her shaking head as a response. Her fingers go to the NEXT button, and the disk jumps a little, changing over to a slow song.

She rests her head on my shoulder, arms around my waist as I tie mine around her neck. We sway to the music, silent and eyes closed as she breathes me in a little, arms tightening around my waist.

We swayed all night, till dawn came and exhaustion knocked us out cold on my bed.

The next morning my eyes find themselves waking to her face. Her eyes don’t move. Her body still. Her chest never rises, hands never taking mine.

Later that day, after breaking my aching sobs, I had brought her to the hospital, and had heard from the doctor the news as to why my best friend was gone. She had known she was never going to get better, and had spent her last years looking for me. Around 2 am, the Cancer had gotten to her heart, and everything shut down.

© 2013 Broken Hearted Faux


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aww sad but good c':

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is really sad! A wonderful story.
A note though, cancer shouldn't be capitalized unless your specifying the type of cancer. And I think you should work on the timeline. I think that's the right word. What I mean is that I had a hard time telling whether they were fresh out of college, now adults with kids. I'm assuming the first part was a flashback but I can't tell, I hope that you clarify.
You have amazing voice and a great flow to the story. I can see it all in my head so perfectly. Even though this is a short story i get a sense of how close they are and the strength of their friendship. This has to be my favorite line and a great example of what I was just talking about "I would. If no other guy would, then I would. I loved her enough to always be there. " you really show his dedication to her here. Amazing work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Broken Hearted Faux

11 Years Ago

^^'' um. to clarify. It wasn't a boy at all in the story. It was a girl Violet (hence why Char calle.. read more
Imara

11 Years Ago

Oh that was completely me misreading (I was secretly reading when I was supposed to be asleep >D) So.. read more
Daw. :( that's sad.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Broken Hearted Faux

11 Years Ago

^^'' thanks

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 7, 2013
Last Updated on April 7, 2013

Author

Broken Hearted Faux
Broken Hearted Faux

Salt Lake City, UT



About
Hello, the name's Lexy I've been on and off from Writerscafe between life and inspiration. I was once a dedicated writer, always with a pencil in my hand and a notebook by my side no matter whe.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Broken Hearted Faux





Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)
Compartment 114
Compartment 114