Dancing with Bluesbadagirl and DJ Soul Driver, Version 2.

Dancing with Bluesbadagirl and DJ Soul Driver, Version 2.

A Screenplay by Calculus
"

Superhero.

"

A Radio Drama:

Bluespidergirl and DJ Soul Driver at the Chi Spot Club

By Niko Chike.


Ambience:   Sound of city traffic: horns blowing, screeching brakes, car engines in moving cars.  A loud WHIIISH sound.  Sound of peddling, labored breathing.  

 

BLUESPIDERGIRL: [chanting] Ima do this.   Riding on steel.   Ima do this, and make a change that folks will feel for real. 

 

Ambience:     Sound of construction work--hammer, jack hammer, metal against metal.  Bus stopping and then the sound of the bus lowering itself to the curb so that a passenger can exit safely.

 

[Sound of trash can falling and hitting the ground.  WHIIIISH sound again.]


VOICE 1:  Dag!!  What was that?

 

BLUESPIDERGIRL: [A loud WHIIISH sound.  Sound of peddling, labored breathing.  Chanting]  Got to make it there to folks' insides, where the good parts hide sometimes.


[Sound of screeching brakes and a swerving car. Car honking.]

 

[Sound of car door opening fast then slamming shut]


VOICE (man):     Hey, you on the bike!  You almost hit me!  Hey!


BLUESPIDERGIRL: [A loud WHIIISH sound.  Sound of peddling, labored breathing.   Chanting]  Ima do this.   Riding on steel.  Ima do this and make a change that folks will feel for real. 


[WHIIIISH sound again.  Sound of trash can falling and hitting the ground.  Swerving, screeching brakes.  Car horn honking. WHIIIISH sound again.]

 

VOICE 2:  Yo!  What was that?

 

VOICE 3:   It looked like a blue rocket on two wheels.

 

VOICE 4:   I think it was a bicycle, yo.  A very fast one.

 

BLUESPIDERGIRL: [A loud WHIIISH sound.  Sound of peddling, labored breathing.   Chanting.]  People are dying, yeah, I got to get to them quick; I'm rushing to the club to make this soul trip.

 

BLUESPIDERGIRL: [A loud WHIIISH sound.  Sound of peddling, labored breathing.   Chanting.]   I can do this.   Riding on steel.  I can do this.  Make that change that folks feel for real….  I'm bluespidergirl.  A black superhero riding on two blue bike wheels.  I dance into folks' souls and make them feel…..

 

[WHIIIISH sound again. Sound of trash can falling and hitting the ground.  Swerving, screeching brakes.  Car horn honking. WHIIIISH sound again.]          

 

[Enter 6th and Broadway theme.  Loud.  Then it pans down]


[Sound of heavy traffic, honking horns, voices of people on the street, feet walking; sound of the locking of a chain around a bike on a pole, then running feet and heavy breathing.  Voices of people standing in line are heard.  Sound of the loud muffled thump, thump of the bass of music.  Sound of bracelets, laughter, chatter of folks standing line.  Someone coughing.  Sound of entry rope clasping and unclasping.]


UPSET PERSON IN LINE:

Come on man.  He said he was gonna put my name on the list.  I talked to him earlier today.


BOUNCER GEORGE:

Sorry, dude.  If you want to get in this club, 15 bucks.


BLUESPIDERGIRL

[Out of breath.  Breathing heavily].  Hey, what's up, George!  Is Soul Driver d-jaying right now?


BOUNCER GEORGE:

Yeah, yeah.  He just started.  Go on in, spidergirl.  You know you always on the guest list….


BLUESPIDERGIRL:

Thanks,man.


[Sound of door opening.  6th and Broadway theme music with heavy bass flowing out.]


UPSET PERSON IN LINE:

[fading into background]  Yo, I'm tryin' to tell you, I talked to him at like 5pm today.  He said my name would definitely be on that list…..


BOUNCER GEORGE:

[Fading into background]  [Sound of door closing in the background.]   Look, man--. 


AMBIENCE:

Voices, laughter, coughing from smoke, loud house music.  Different pieces of people's conversation as they are moved past.  Sound of glasses clinking together.  Sound of drinks being poured.  Sound of an altercation between a man and a woman. 


AMBIENCE:   Sound of bracelets jingling as woman talks. 


WOMAN:        No, you called me a "B"! 


MAN:              You need to check yourself--


WOMAN:       You need to check yourself.  Like your messed up teeth.  Tacky looking self, trying to talk to me…..


WOMAN 2:    Mmmmm.  I don't know who she thinks she is looking all whatever. 


WOMAN 3:    Her ugly self.  Everything she got on is fake--her hair, her nails, her eyelashes, that mole on her chin… 


WOMAN 2:    [Loud laughter]


WOMAN 3:    No serious!  Did you see that fake draw on mole on her chin!  Dag!!


GROUP:         Go Tasha!  Get your groove on!  Go Tasha, it's your birthday!  Go Tasha, get your groove on!

 

WOMAN 4:    Janine, you got a safety pin!  My strap broke!


BLUESPIDERGIRL:  Excuse me. 


WOMAN 3:

Oh, yo, that 's that dancer who tore it up last time!


[Fading into the background]  What's her name?


MAN:  Bluespidergirl. 


WOMAN 3:    Oh, yeah, that's right, cuz when she dances her arms and feet man look like they be all over the place.  Under them strobe lights it looks like she got about 3 or 4 pairs of them.  But she be killing it.  And she always wears blue--blue knee highs, blue sneaks, blue t-shirt, blue lipstick…..


[A few seconds, then, the sound of a door opening, then closing.  Music suddenly muffled.]


DJ SOUL DRIVER:

Eh!  My girl!  How ya been?


BLUESPIDERGIRL:

Hey what's up Soul Driver?  I'm alright. Listen, man, I--


DJ SOUL DRIVER:

Hold up, let me feed this track in….


AMBIENCE:

Sound of him working on the turntables: clicks, pressing of buttons, moving solids against other solids.


DJ SOUL DRIVER:

Awight.  Yeah, last time I saw you, you were on the dance floor with a big circle around you looking like you had the Holy Spirit whipping up your insides.  You were moving.  I forgot you could dance that good.  Oh, and that head spin!  I was done!!


BLUESPIDERGIRL:

It was the music man!  You had me feeling it!   But, look, I need it again, Soul.  My spirit needs to take another trip.


DJ SOUL DRIVER:

Word?  Where to this time?


BLUESPIDERGIRL:

It's really crazy, right now, Soul.  Real crazy.  And I can't really get into it, but some folks need me real bad and I gotta get my spirit there and intervene before things get really messed up.  You're the only DJ who has over and over again made my soul fly up out of my body to places that are weighing heavy on my mind.  And I need that again tonight, Soul.  Something real deep and soulful, like some gospel house or something.  It's real serious, yo.  My spirit needs to get there real quick.


DJ SOUL DRIVER:

I got you.  Give me a few seconds.  It'll be the next track, awight?  I'll tell security to back some folks up so you can work it out on the dance floor, okay?   You know I got you. 


BLUESPIDERGIRL:

Yo, thanks, Soul.  You're the best, man.  [Door opens.  Sound of loud house music again.  Sound of door closing.]


[Current track segways to the next one, "Callin You Lord."  Sounds of the crowds on the dance floor.]


BLUESPIDERGIRL:

[Sound of sharp exhalation of breath in time to the beat of the music.  Sound of feet moving on, across, against the floor.  This goes on until the word "Power!" is sung]


[Sounds of people commenting in wonderment]. 


GROUP OF FOLKS: Alright, now!  Go 'head, girl.


[A couple of beats and then...]


MALE 1:

Dag, Girl!  Get it!


BLUESPIDERGIRL

[Sound of sharp exhalation of breath in time to the beat of the music.  Sound of feet moving on, across, against the floor.  Sounds of people commenting in wonderment]. 


MALE 2:

Yo, Raheem.  This is the jawn I was telling you about, remember?  Yo, she be doing headspins, backflips, windmills, all that--.   See!  Look man!  Agggghh!  [Loud outburst from crowd of wonderment].  That was an ill headspin!  That's what I'm talking about! Work it out girl!  Don't hurt yourself!


FEMALE 1:

Go 'head girl!


BLUESPIDERGIRL:

[Sound of sharp exhalation of breath in time to the beat of the music.  Sound of feet moving on, across, against the floor.  Sounds of people commenting in wonderment]. 

 

SECURITY DUDE:

Awright.  Back it up, folks.  Give her some room.


BLUESPIDERGIRL:

[Sound of sharp exhalation of breath in time to the beat of the music.  Sound of feet moving on, across, against the floor.  Sounds of people commenting in wonderment]. 

Fly me up.  Lift me up.  Drive me up....  Come on.....Take me there.

[Sounds of the club fading--music, people's voices, sound of clinking glasses.  Bluespidergirl's voice getting louder. ]

 

BLUESPIDERGIRL:

Fly me up.  Lift me up.  Drive me up....  Come on.....Take me there.

Fly me up.  Lift me up.  Drive me up....  Come on.....Take me there.

Fly me up.  Lift me up.  Drive me up....  Come on.....Take me there.

 

[Sound of traffic outside is heard loudly, then it fades out.  Sound of birds and wind blowing. 

 

BLUESPIDERGIRL:

Come on.  Music, keep me up.  Move me there.  Fly me, fly me, fly me…

 

[Then sound of waves washing up against a shore, sound of heavy wind blowing. Then this sound, except for the wind, fading as well. ]

 

BLUESPIDERGIRL:

Come on, keep me up.  Move me, move me, move me there….

 

[Sound of a ship moving through water--motor of engine, water being moved.  Sound of the decks of a large navy ship.  Metal against metal as work is getting done.  Sounds of feet moving across a metal deck Intercom system voices and signals.  People talking to one another. Doors opening and closing.  Things sliding or being pulled across the metal deck.  Sound of folks walking up and down metal steps; then the soundscape changes. Below deck: The space is more contained.  Sound of feet moving on (what kind of floors?)  Sound of a television, some chatter, some music playing, typing on a keyboard, laughter, the rattling of a newspaper.  Intercom signals and voices.

 

SAILOR 1:

I can not wait to get off this freakin' ship tomorrow!  I'm sick of looking at your ugly mugs.

 

SAILOR 2:

Takes one to know one, Chrome Dome!

 

SAILOR 1:

Tiajuanas, Tequilas, and Mexican Juanitas, here I come.  Tomorrow, manana.  Hasta luego!....

 

BLUESPIDERGIRL:

Where is he?....  Take me there….  Move me there…..  Where is he?…..

 

[Sounds of the chatter, laughter, television, music, voices, typing on keyboard, feet moving, rattling of newspaper fading to a muffle.]  In the foreground is the voice of Pablo Paredes.

[Sound of bed springs creaking]

 

PABLO PAREDES:

God, I don't know what to do.  [Sound of bed springs creaking]  I'ma mess right now.  I can't do this.  We are going to Iraq in a freakin' week.  And I feel this big sense of dread.  I don't want to go.  It doesn’t feel right. But if I don't go and just take off and never come back to this ship, what will happen to me?  I'll be running forever or end up in a prison for the rest of my life.  I don't want that for myself.

 

BLUESPIDERGIRL'S CHI:

Hey, what are you doing?  Get up!?  [sound of scuffling.]  Aren't you his chi of Pablo Paredes?  Why are you curled up in a ball in the corner?

 

PABLO PAREDES'S CHI:

[yawning.] Huh?  Who the heck are you?….

 

BLUESPIDERGIRL'S CHI:

I'm the chi of the Bluespidergirl, a superhero who dances in order to send me to different places around the world to help out other folks' chis that are not doing such a hot job.  Like you.  Come on, man, get up! Your person is going through something right now, and it's like you have just given up.  What's wrong with you?. 

 

PABLO PAREDES'S CHI :

Yeah.  That's right.  I don't care anymore.  I've seen too much.  Too much crazy stuff.  You have no idea what I've seen.  6 months in Iraq--6 months of hell.  Watching folks blow other folks to bits, and then laugh about it.  Listening to folks singing about mowing down kids and women.  I--.  In a world with so much ugliness, my one little person doing good don't mean a thing.  It's not going to change all that ugliness.

 

BLUESPIDERGIRL'S CHI:

Look, I know it probably doesn't seem like it, but it does matter.   This time it does.  I wouldn’t be here talking to you if what your person decides to do in the next few days didn't matter.  He can't go back to Iraq.  He needs to get off in San Diego, and not get back on this ship.  You need to tell him that.  And it will matter.  Believe me, it will matter.  Tell him not to get back on this ship.  You have to make him not get back on this ship…..

 

AMY GOODMAN (Host of the syndicated public affairs show, Democracy Now):

We speak with Navy sailor Pablo Paredes, who the military is calling a deserter and a fugitive after he refused to board his ship in San Diego as it prepared to ship out for the Persian Gulf. He joins us from California where he is now underground.

… He could be arrested at any moment by the military or another law enforcement agency. On Monday, Petty Officer 3rd Class Pablo Paredes refused to board his ship in San Diego as it prepared to ship out for the Persian Gulf. Remarkably, Paredes sat on the ship’s pier as his fellow sailors boarded. … [Begin FADE OUT….]  For nearly two hours, he spoke to reporters explaining why he was refusing to board. Paredes told the journalists he was young and naive when he joined the Navy and “never imagined, in a million years, we would go to war with somebody who had done nothing to us.”[1]

 



[1] Goodman, Amy. "Navy Sailor Charged as 'Deserter and Fugitive After Refusing Iraq Deployment.'" Online: DemocracyNow: The War and Peace Report.  www.democracy.org. December 10, 2004.

© 2016 Calculus


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
Added on June 5, 2016
Last Updated on June 29, 2016
Tags: Niko Chike