WE ARE AMERICAN WOMEN, THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN’T DO!!!

WE ARE AMERICAN WOMEN, THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN’T DO!!!

A Story by CGR
"

Just some history I am working on.

"

VOTE IT IS NOT ONLY A RIGHT IT IS A RESPONSIBILITY!!!

With it being an election year, I thought it would be a good time to remind the women of this country why it is so important that we exercise our right to vote.

woman suffrage 2

Most people don’t know that the women’s suffrage movement actually began in late 1820s and early 1830s. It gathered support through the years, until the beginning of the Civil War. When the war ended, and the 14th (ratified in 1868) and 15th (ratified 1870) amendments to the United States Constitution were ratified. The women came up with what the thought was the “winning plan” but it would take another 50 years before women could vote. Their marches, protest, pickets, the arrest, and the ridiculed would continue until the end of Wold War I.

Although the accomplishment, sacrifices, and contributions that women have made to this country can be traced to its inception, this time in history was no doubt the women’s time. They not only kept the home fronts running, by raising the children and gardens. The women came out of the kitchens. They stepped into the workforce and took over the factory jobs. They built the building of their country. The women were in large part responsible for keeping the factories and farms running while the men were away. They help to manufacture items  that would help the country to win the war. They volunteered to be part of the war by enlisting to be nurses.

On Monday, May 19,1919. The sixty-six Congress of the United states ratified the 19th amendment to the United States Constitution. It reads in part “…The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex…”

However, it was the following year 1920 when the election was held, and women cast the first votes.

Women have had a long history of standing up for these Great United States, and I believe it is most important that we educate ourselves on the issues, and then we make a statement and VOTE!!!

Don’t be a follow just because a woman is running it DOES NOT mean she is the right woman. Please Vote, but educate yourself before you choose.

WE ARE  AMERICAN WOMEN, THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN’T DO!!!

CG Renner 18 Aug 2016

Sources :

http://www.archives.gov/global-pages/larger-image.html?i=/historical-docs/doc-content/images/19th-amendment-l.jpg&c=/historical-docs/doc-content/images/19th-amendment.caption.html

© 2016 CGR


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on October 14, 2016
Last Updated on October 14, 2016

Author

CGR
CGR

TN