South

South

A Story by The Poet of Black Wings

South, the name of a mysterious university. 
Here, it is as if time stands still. Seasons never change here in this dusty badland, forever a cold summer.  The sun hides itself on the horizon, never reaching higher in the sky. Seemingly afraid to come closer.  
The land is overseen by a megalithic tower, which makes up the primary facility of South. It must climb a mile into the sky and a mile deep into the earth. The surrounding area it watches is dotted with buildings that are used for housing, or bunkers.
The technology here is terrifyingly advanced, with no explanation behind it. It simply exists here, unknown as to why by south’s student population. Terraforming capabilities, force fields, holograms… Guns that can turn a man into nothing but ash in a matter of seconds.
The people are even more terrifying.  The majority of residents here have… powers. Abilities that make them… better than normal humans. Some are almost godlike. 

No one, save for the shadowed council that lords over the land, knows how they end up at south, or where south is. You could be lying down to bed, in your home one night, and wake up in this place. No explanation as to why. Just that you’re “special” and are needed here. Most try to escape at first. All efforts are futile and sometimes lethal… no matter how much they say they need you, you are always expendable.

© 2014 The Poet of Black Wings


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an interesting setting, but like most of your stories, it is too short and doesn't feel like it has been fleshed out like it deserves. This is not entirely unique, but it is at least interesting in concept; especially the bit about how those who are needed just wake up there, and as much as you are told you are needed, you are still expendable. Seems like the story of my life... >_> Anyway, I suggest you take this setting, and try and think up an equally interesting and creative story/characters, and try writing it into a full story, and not just a flash fiction premise. I think it would be really good as a Surreal piece, almost like a futuristic version of 'The Castle' by Kafka.

Posted 10 Years Ago


The Poet of Black Wings

10 Years Ago

All of my stories are really previews into something more. The stories were really intros into role .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
1 Review
Added on February 9, 2014
Last Updated on February 9, 2014
Tags: university, school, college, high school, unknown, powers, magic, trapped, fear of the unknown

Author

The Poet of Black Wings
The Poet of Black Wings

About
i hope my poems, among other writings, will speak for me. Edit - Full disclosure, if you ask me to read something, I will, and I'll be brutally honest about what I think about it. So, be ready for .. more..

Writing