An Uncanny Pantheon

An Uncanny Pantheon

A Story by Cambion
"

This is the pantheon of a Pathfinder campaign that I authored. The gods and goddesses are numerous and their intrigues are the stuff of legend... in a basement in Massachusetts every week.

"

An Uncanny Pantheon

© Copyright 2012 to 2015 C. H. Watson. All rights reserved.

This is a pantheon I wrote for an old Pathfinder campaign.

The First Ones
The First Ones are the major gods and goddesses of the universe. They embody the basic forces of the universe and are rarely known by mortals.

Ankarakari - Goddess of Matter, Energy, and Radiation
Ankarakari manifests as a glowing nebula with dark borders sometimes thousands of light years in size. She perceives all activity within the material universe and can see through even the most impenetrable barriers. When she wishes to socialize with human-sized beings, she possesses an avatar to do so. Avatars of Ankarakari are transported back to their home planes when she is finished with them.

Alignment: L/N
Titles: The nature of this deity is known only to a very few, so she has no formal titles. There are no temples or churches to her, though she is worshiped whenever the beauty of light, warmth, or other properties of matter and energy are praised.
Realm: Ankarakari has palaces on the Astral Plane and in the hearts of stars, especially pulsars, on countless Prime Material planes.

Iszazsi - God of Magic and Dreams
Iszazsi manifests as a pillar of distortion to those who can perceive him directly, although these are few. He is imperceptible by mortals because his body exists at the margins of the dimensions in a realm of bizarre and arcane geometries. When he wishes to walk among mortals, he takes the form of a gnome, a winged cat, or an empty set of wizard clothes that cling loosely to the shape of a man.

In the ancient times, Ferylindine could not conceive children, and pleaded with Iszazsi to use his magic to help her. For long he brewed a potion of vapors and kept it bottled in a ray of starlight. When Ferylindine consumed the potion, it was not long afterwards that she discovered that she was pregnant by Hutharc. When she gave birth, it was to many gods and goddesses at once. Each time afterward that she became pregnant, the magic showed itself anew and she gave birth to many godlings.

Even though Iszazsi is the god of dreams, he is not privy to the contents of the dreams of others. He loves to listen to gods and mortals alike describe their dreams, sometimes sculpting demi-planes in interpretation of the description.

Alignment: N
Titles: Iszazsi is not worshiped directly by mortals, but rather when magic is used deftly, magic items are crafted, spells are written, or dreams are remembered.
Realm: Iszazsi dwells in every magical object and sees every magical being in the universe. He is the source of the arcane power used to cast arcane spells and provides the life energy for every intelligent magical item. Magical artifacts of great power claim a piece of his godly essence.

Sola - Goddess of Knowledge
Sola is the goddess of all knowledge known and studied by intelligent creatures. From books, scrolls and spells to musical compositions and divination, all knowledge is her domain. Her ire is raised when intelligent creatures practice censorship and she often uses her godly influence to cause hidden stores of knowledge or lost arcana to be revealed. Sola is the mate of Iszazsi. She constantly chides him about his secretive nature, but understands the danger of knowledge in the wrong hands.

Alignment: N
Titles: Sola is known only to a very few and has no formal titles among mortals. She is worshiped when scribes create tomes, when poets take up a quill, and when teachers speak before their classes.
Realm: Sola dwells in a seemingly infinite library called the Eternal Archive. Everything ever written can be found here amidst shelves that climb as high as mountains.

Cyndalina - Goddess of Time
Cyndalina is both the oldest and the youngest of the First Ones. She knows all that has happened and will happen, but never intervenes, even during desperate times. She is truly invisible and rarely manifests, but her fellow gods and goddesses can sense her presence. When Cyndalina approaches other gods or mortals, she takes the form of an impertinent teenaged human. It is thought by the few that know her that when joy transpires, Cyndalina becomes wistful and the flow of time seems quickened. Likewise, when boredom or suffering occurs, she becomes reticent, and the passage of time seems drawn out.

Alignment: L/N
Titles: Cyndalina is as old as the universe and as new as an early spring breeze. She is so far above the ken of most mortals that she is utterly unheard of. Mortals that play with time magic are often punished by Cyndalina, who has had an eternity to think of ways to keep order in the flow of time.
Realm: Cyndalina's stronghold exists outside of the normal flow of time, and can never be invaded. Its walls are made of time-stopped reality and appear as mirrors. This palace is called the Palace of Forever and a Day.

Weerg - God of Paradoxes and Cruel Irony

Weerg is a trickster who is infatuated with his own (truly vast) intellect. He delights in riddles, paradoxes, ironies and conundrums and often disappears for ages crafting cunning plots in which mortals or other gods will be outfoxed by his diabolically clever machinations. Though of evil alignment, Weerg's sadistic streak is limited almost entirely to mental manipulation, and rarely sows misery for misery's sake. He is embodied as a giant platypus-man hundreds of feet tall, though he changes his look and size frequently for his own amusement.  He has always carried a torch for Sola, but his trickery has never worked on Iszazsi, her mate.

Alignment: N/E
Titles: Weerg exists at the margins of the intellect and is virtually unknown to all but his brothers and sisters. Even the Dynasty have little knowledge of him. He is worshiped when mortals try in vain to solve riddles, when mortals make hypocrites of themselves, and when a tragic irony is revealed.
Realm: Weerg can often be found in inns, taverns, and tea-houses in the guise of a callow youngster who speaks of things he does not understand. If a pedantic soul should make the mistake of trying to educate him, Weerg will suddenly begin speaking with his full godly intellect, which will affect the unfortunate soul as per the Feeblemind spell. Weerg will then make his victim pay for his drinks and depart satisfied.

Tasselisse - Goddess of Destruction

Tasselisse is the rush of flames in a burning castle, the cataclysm of an erupting volcano and the last gasps of dying stars. When chaos finally wins over order, Tasselisse is there to savor it. Violence, mayhem, fury, and death delight her, and she intervenes when she can to cause glorious catastrophes.
Unlike Weerg, Tasselisse has no qualms about inflicting suffering for the sake of suffering and delights in corrupting lawful clerics with promises of power. Tasselisse is embodied as a titanic onyx statue of a marvelously voluptuous woman. Her armor is in a constant state of conflagration and her weapon is the Star Harvester, a polearm with a tip that acts as a Sphere of Annihilation.

Alignment: C/E
Titles: Unlike most of the First Ones, Tasselisse has made herself known to mortals by direct intervention throughout the ages. Evil clerics and antipaladins who know about her will invariably worship her as the strongest source of chaos and evil in the universe. Her cults are notoriously bloodthirsty and her antipaladins especially depraved. Among these, she is entitled The Blood Fountain, Star Killer and Lady Mayhem.

Vaxxe - God of Death

Vaxxe is the end of the road for all mortals and nothing escapes him. He sees all living creatures in the world and all the dead dwell in his kingdom. He is embodied as a tall mummy that floats wherever it goes, arms crossed. Vaxxe is not an evil god, despite his domain, and never seeks to create intrigue. Only when the living seek to cheat death does he take an interest in mortal activities. Liches must take precautions in their preparations lest Vaxxe seek them out and punish them. All undead are considered abominations to Vaxxe.

Alignment: L/N
Titles: Vaxxe (pronounced vacks) is like the other First Ones in that his godhood is understood by a very few. Death, however, is universally understood by mortals; and in dying, each mortal praises Vaxxe at last. When a suffering soul cries out for death, when an aged person comes to terms with their mortality, or when the living are slain in the natural order, Vaxxe is exalted.
Realm: Vaxxe collects the dead in his palace called the Sepulcher of Ashes. There, the souls of the dead dream their unknowable dreams.

Amolon, God of the Seas - God of Space and Oceans
Amolon's domain is all the space of the material universe and every ocean of every world. He delights in travel, even though he can see the entire universe clearly wherever he is. His brothers and sisters often travel with him, for his good-natured personality and enthusiasm are a capital distraction for bored gods. He is embodied as a titan that wears a traveler's outfit. Amolon can teleport, planeshift and become a cloud (or nebula) at will.

Alignment: C/N
Titles: Mortal sailors often beseech the sea for mercy and swift passage, and when they do, Amolon is listening. Prince of the Waves, The Traveler, and Old Foambeard are a few of the names that he has been given.
Realm: Amolon has palaces in every ocean of every world in the universe. On Caszyrri, his palace is called Coral Maze, and has never been seen by mortal eyes, except perhaps for the drowned dead that sink slowly towards its borders.

Inklira, the Mist-Crafter - Goddess of Celestial Phenomena
Inklira is the goddess of every constellation, nebula, quasar, pulsar, and black hole in the universe. Like a weaver, she has tapestried the universe with all the delights of the night sky. She is embodied as a female-shaped region of swirling blackness in which stars and nebulae are visible. Only Inklira knows how long a star will live or what lies beneath the clouds of gas giants.

Alignment: N/G
Titles: Inklira is called Mist-Crafter, Star Priestess, and Lady of Infinite Beauty by the few that know of her. She is praised when the skies are beheld with awe, when astronomers discover new planets or stars, and when constellations are named.

Hutharc - God of Art and Inspiration
Hutharc is the god of artists, revolutionaries, adventurers, and those who suffer in pursuit of inspiration. He is embodied as a middle-aged man who is constantly working on far too many projects at once. Hutharc delights in arriving at clever solutions to seemingly impossible challenges, finding new uses for old things, and indulging in imagination. Since the beginning, he has been the true love of Ferylindine.

Alignment: N/G
Titles: Hutharc is one of the best-known of the First Ones. Many religions have claimed him as a figurehead. Even an evil religion once tried to use him as their figurehead, but they quickly found that when the name of Hutharc is invoked, creativity is irresistible; and creativity led those that they oppressed to overthrow the rule of evil. Good religions that worship Hutharc invariably prosper.
Realm: Hutharc is welcomed in all the palaces and houses of his children, the Dynasty.

Ferylindine - Goddess of Life and Creativity
Ferylindine is the source of all life energy in the universe. Where she walks, flowers bloom, grass becomes greener and a refreshing breeze rises up suddenly. She is embodied as a supernaturally beautiful young woman who is eternally lost in the beauty of the world, especially life. Ferylindine is the mistress of ten thousand hobbies, and has produced whole libraries worth of poetry, shelves full of beautiful pottery, garden worlds, and the musical themes to which much of the universe was created.

Early in Ferylindine's existence, Weerg tricked her into drinking a diabolical concoction under the guise of friendship. The concoction was a masterpiece of cruel irony that caused Ferylindine to become unable to bear children. For ages, Ferylindine and Hutharc tried to have children in vain. At last, Ferylindine approached Iszazsi, whom she considered dreadful and fell. To her surprise, Iszazsi set upon an epic labor, and brewed a potion of vapors for her. Reluctantly, she drank the brew, and her fertility was magically restored, much to Weerg's annoyance. Soon after, Ferylindine gave birth to the first generation of the Dynasty, and the universe was delighted.

Alignment: N/G
Titles: Ferylindine is worshiped by all who live by their creativity. Bards, craftsmen, parents, artisans, and farmers all ask her for her blessing. By these, she is entitled Lifecrafter, The Godmother, and Queen of Seedlings.
Realm: Ferylindine is always beside Hutharc, and all the universe is their home.




The Dynasty
The Dynasty are the children of Hutharc and Ferylindine. The following were the result of Ferylindine's first pregnancy.

Saicha the Cold Star - Goddess of Love and Hate
Saicha is a bright orange woman of surpassing beauty who dresses in a black and tan body suit. She floats serenely if she is pleased and skulks upon the land if she is angered. Her hair is dark red and slowly flows and writhes in an animated simulation of flames. Saicha is the goddess of sexuality, sensuality, and intimacy; but she is also the goddess of rage, anger, wrath, and brooding. Those that know her know that whether she is protecting her friends or attacking her enemies, fierceness is her defining feature.

Alignment: C/N
Titles: Cold Star, Her Holy Ambivalence
Realm: Saicha dwells in a palace called the Pleasure Trove. It is said to be even more luxurious than the dwelling of Kolus.

Talanari - Goddess of Healing, Sleep, and Memory
Talanari is a waif of small stature and the most delicate of limbs. Though she is pale, a blush is always visible on her cheeks. Her eyes are large and her eyelids seem heavy. She is known to grant rest and amnesia to those who have suffered a great trauma and can heal any injury with a touch.

Alignment: L/G
Titles: Lady Solace, Dreamlight Maiden

Murp - God of Mud and Lava
Murp is a hulking giant comprised of flowing mud and lava. Wherever he steps, he leaves a scorching area of boiling mud and molten rock. If he wishes to communicate with others, he can concentrate upon making a face emerge from his amorphous head, in which case he looks very menacing and serious. Murp prefers solitude or swimming in the mantle with his earth and fire elemental friends. When Murp was a baby, Ferylindine nursed him on the elemental planes of earth and fire and Hutharc taught him to sculpt volcanoes.

Alignment: C/N
Titles: Pyrelord, Lord of the Avalanche
Realm: Murp has an enormous castle within the world called Mantlehome.

Z'i - Goddess of Fog, Mists and Dew
Z'i is a violet-skinned woman of thick build and medium height. She is bald, though quite comely, and has thick black tattoo marks on her face and neck. Her clothing is light blue and resembles an ornate one-piece swimsuit. She wears heavy jewelry on her limbs and floats instead of walking. Z'i is the goddess of all the ways that vapors coalesce and is exceedingly gentle in her ways.

Alignment: N
Titles: Mist-Maiden, Morningsparkle

Caszyrri - Goddess of the World
Caszyrri is a very heavy woman of very short stature. She moves slowly and deliberately and is never in a hurry. She has a pleasantly beautiful face and the warmest of personalities. Ornate gowns and oversized jewelry adorn her ample form and her perfume is made from all the flowers in the universe. She is a friend to all her brothers and sisters and even the First Ones will dine at her table to listen to her stories or ask her counsel. Caszyrri has been known to allow The Maker of Scarecrows to visit with her when the burden of his fear and isolation become too harsh to bear.

Alignment: N/G
Titles: Great Mother, World Mother

Hysha - Goddess of Clouds, Rain and Wind
Hysha is a surpassingly beautiful woman of medium build with nearly translucent skin, freckles and long, black hair. She flies wherever she goes and when she is dressed, she wears embroidered cloth robes and a crown of white metal with cut blue jewels. She is clever and speaks little, but when she speaks passionately, she is irresistible. Hysha can turn any cloud into a floating mansion simply by occupying it and is said to keep birds and fish from all over the world in her palaces.

Alignment: C/N
Titles: Lady Rainbow, Cloud Maiden, Lady Tree-Shaker

Pio - God of Shadows and Buried Treasures
Pio (pronounced pie-oh) is a handsome rogue who is seen as something of a mysterious little brother to the other gods and goddesses. His complexion is of the sort that casts his eyes in shadow and makes his features seem darkened. He is clean-shaven and always dresses formally. He wears a rich courtier's outfit, large black boots and a wide-brimmed hat with silver feathers. He is known to disappear for weeks or months on end without explanation. Treasure-seekers often ask for the blessing of Pio before an adventure. One of Pio's favorite activities is to torment The Maker of Scarecrows.

Alignment: C/N
Titles: Prince of Shadows, The Vault-Crafter, The Secret Master

The Maker of Scarecrows - God of Fear and Isolation
The Maker of Scarecrows is embodied as a young boy of under ten years old, though he constantly alters his appearance to resemble a twisted representation of an adult man. In his adult form, he has the look of a man-sized boy, though gaunt, with hollow eyes, pale skin and ragged locks of black hair that spill over his brow. He spends most of his time alone, for he is filled with fear; but in mastering it, he has become the Master of Fear, and is deadly to those who threaten his solitude. When his loneliness becomes unbearable, he crafts a scarecrow to crouch beside. It often happens that the scarecrow absorbs the magical essence of suffering and will, some time later, become animate and stalk a living person that it judges the most isolated and forlorn of his or her people. A very few are granted eldritch powers when such a scarecrow chooses them.

The Maker of Scarecrows will sometimes visit with Caszyrri when he feels desperate. It is a quality of her nature that she can grant respite to his soul and refresh his will to persist.

Alignment: N/E
Titles: The Maker of Scarecrows, The Master of Fear, Mister Mooncalf
Realm: The Maker of Scarecrows has no home; cornfields, fens, moors, graveyards, and even the surface of the moon have been his haunts at one time or another.

Sekti - Goddess of Plants and Fungi
Sekti is a young woman of lithe countenance and delicate features. She has black hair that glows with ultraviolet light and faintly visible tracings of pale green light adorn her skin. Her gown is an ever-shifting mosaic of plants and mushrooms, and wherever she lingers, seedlings sprout and mushroom patches erupt.

Alignment: C/G
Titles: The Maiden of Copses, Lady of the Faerie Rings, Loam Princess

Tiak - God of Suns
Tiak is a huge plasma elemental who is the god of stars that support life. He has brightly glowing yellow skin, long fiery hair and is extremely heavily muscled. It is said no one can best him at wrestling. He sees all that transpires on the worlds that orbit Kor Tiaki Alpha and Beta, but has a suspicious attitude toward the star Proxima Tiaki.

Alignment: L/G
Titles: Lord Tiak, The Star King, Lord of the Suns


The Second Generation of the Dynasty
The following were the gods and goddesses of the second generation of Hutharc and Ferylindine's union.

Siujuar, Crown of Bricks - God of Nobility and Honor
The god of true nobility and honor, Siujuar (pronounced see-you-are) is a titanic god who, in his ornate platemail and stone helm, looks like a living castle. He prefers to be a diplomat, and will always opt to talk things through rather than fight. If pressed into combat, however, he becomes a truly fearsome warrior, and will cut down the treacherous and dishonorable with his greatsword, Final Verdict. He is delightful in times of peace and is beloved by the other gods for his fairness and virtue.

Siujuar is ever the enemy of those who claim nobility, such as aristocrats, for exploitative purposes. At times, he will grant divine inspiration to an especially worthy warrior, filling them with the desire to battle the false nobility.

Alignment: L/G
Titles: Crown of Bricks, Skysunder
Realm: Siujuar is master of Sky Bastion, an impenetrable castle on the Positive Energy Plane that stands to guard the newborn souls of the living.

Kolus - God of Indulgence, Luxury, and Aristocracy
Kolus is the embodiment of smugness, condescension, self-indulgence, and elitism. He considers himself an aristocrat even among gods and is always working to gain an advantage over others. No other god understands the intricacies of self-satisfaction like Kolus, who knows the location of the single bottle of the world's finest wine, the single most perfectly heated natural spring, the bolt of the world's softest silk, and the world's most gifted courtesan. There is no denying that Kolus is a connoisseur, but he has a mean streak when any should dare challenge his superiority or get between him and his next delight. It is rumored that Kolus has an infatuation for his sister Z'i.

Alignment: L/E
Titles: Lord of the Apex, Master of Masters, His Immaculate Supremacy
Realm: Kolus is master of the Apex, a palace of unimaginable splendor, opulence and excess.

Kultrus - God of War
Kultrus is a god obsessed with warfare and conflict. He loves nothing more than to feel his blade, Redwinter, cut through the flesh of the living and gods alike. Peace is an abomination to him, and suffering is simply one more wonderful facet of his life's passion: war. He is embodied as a titan who always travels with an army of men wielding magical blades and wearing magical armor. He is never alone on the battlefield, and is a master of military strategy. His greatest delight is to defeat an overwhelmingly large army with a force of fewer numbers. Kultrus has no value for life except for the living who are currently engaged in warfare. Clerics of Kultrus can only heal soldiers on a battlefield.

Alignment: N/E
Titles: Supreme Battlemaster, Prince of War, Old Bloody Footprints
Realm: Kultrus is at home only on the battlefield, which sadly for humanity, is all the world around.

Yemili - Goddess of Songs, Poems, and Fantasy
Yemili is a god who is very close to her mother, Ferylindine. She can never learn enough about the composition of songs, poems and works of fantasy, and is ever asking Ferylindine to teach her more. Physically, Yemili is embodied as a young woman with pale skin that glows like the full moon through thin clouds; sultry eyes of deepest, darkest blue; and a slightly pouting demeanor, all of which combine to make her one of the most comely and enchanting of the gods. Her yellow-blond hair is ever neglected because of her constant distraction, being bound back and never worn in splendor; but lovely it is nonetheless, reaching down below her shoulder blades. Yemili will often inspire mortals with the desire to write novels, poems, plays, or imaginative settings for the playing of arcane games.

Alignment: C/G
Titles: Lady of the Ivory Pages, Lady of Sweet Nothings
Realm: Yemili can instantly create a demi-plane by touching a book, poem, or song. The demi-plane that is created perfectly represents the setting of the chosen artwork. It is within these demi-planes that Yemili rests and entertains.

Morrog - God of Undeath
Morrog is a dreadful and dispassionate god who is the source of the undead energy that powers all of the undead in the universe. The formerly living are as clay to Morrog, who takes a joyless satisfaction in devising new forms for the undead. Morrog is a tall man with a massive jaw and cranial ridge. He is expressionless and his skin is ash gray. He never smiles and speaks with a low voice that is most unsettling.

Alignment: N/E
Titles: Gravespiller, Master of Exiles, The Grim Returner
Realms: Because of his nature, Morrog tends to live alone in his fortress, the City of Graves.

Vetti - Goddess of Jealousy, Revenge, and Lightning
Vetti is a bombastic and perilous goddess who never forgets a grudge and exacts revenge whenever she is (or imagines that she is) slighted or scorned. In her mind, rules simply do not apply to her; and she will do whatever it takes, including playing the victim with subtle whispering campaigns, to attain the object of her jealousy or indulge in her vengeance. Vetti is said to be desperately enamored of Weerg; though as cruel irony would have it, he has no interest in her whatsoever. His constant deflection of her affections fills her with rage, and so she wars with him until she cannot bear to be angry at him any more, at which point she begins trying to win his affections anew. Vetti wields a pair of whips called Tamer and Shamer that call down lightning bolts on her foes.

Alignment: C/E
Titles: The Dread Queen, Miss Sunshine, The Eternal Backstabber
Realm: Vetti is so jealous of the beautiful palaces and castles of her brethren that she neglects to care for her own home.

Thrac - God of Metals and the Forge
Thrac is a consummate workman who delights in forging mountain chains, asteroids, meteors, and continents. It is said that all the metal of the world once spilled from his forge. He is embodied as a large man with dark bronze skin who stands naked at his forge, even as suits of armor surround him.
He is worshiped by miners, blacksmiths and farriers.

Alignment: L/N
Titles: Master of Thunderforge, The Hammer, The Hammerer of Starfall
Realm: Thrac works endlessly at the forges of his home and workshop, Thunderforge.

Nayasara - Goddess of Necromancy
Nayasara is a depraved misanthrope and unpredictably evil goddess who happens to have the outward beauty and grace that rivals even that of Saicha. No one knows why Nayasara's heart became so twisted; but twisted it is, delighting in the destruction of life to raise as undead.

Nayasara is the source of the necromantic magic of the universe. She will often prostitute herself to Morrog for insight into the secrets of undeath. Nayasara is extremely popular among intelligent undead such as liches and vampires, who often form cults to worship her and gain more power for their undead metabolisms.

Alignment: C/E
Titles: The Bone Freak, The Molester of Graves, Harvester of Filth
Realm: Nayasara lives in an unholy stronghold of bloody stone that is often referred to as the Gutpile Citadel.




The Third Generation of the Dynasty
The gods and goddesses of Ferylindine's third pregnancy are too numerous to list, for during her third pregnancy, she gave birth to more gods than all that had come before. They are the gods of barbarians, exiles, elves, dwarves, gnomes, elementals, outsiders, and faeries. They are the gods of other worlds, the spaces between worlds, and all the planes of reality.

Among these gods are Sivra, the elven goddess of the moon; Orossa, goddess of cities; Graemel, the god of workmen, industry and honest work; Grimorg, the dwarven god of gems and jewels; Pinch, the halfling god of burglars and spies; Kurce, the god of gladiators and mercenaries; Jornu, the god of sailors and voyages; and Murlekai, the god of embalming and cremation.

© 2014 Cambion


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 17, 2014
Last Updated on December 23, 2014
Tags: fantasy, gaming

Author

Cambion
Cambion

Amherst, MA



About
I'm a big fan of the English language. more..

Writing
Death Tiger Death Tiger

A Poem by Cambion