Carton Church Tokyo Japan - Nuclear Energy: What's True and What's Not

Carton Church Tokyo Japan - Nuclear Energy: What's True and What's Not

A Story by Carlton Church
"

Nuclear warfare strategy is a set of policies that deal with preventing or fighting a nuclear war.

"

Since Nuclear Energy is very rare and movies used to describe it as a weapon for war, there are little known fact about this discovery while ideas are formed on how it really is. Carlton Church International Movement to Abolish Nuclear Reactors and Nuclear Weapons, a non-profit organization aiming to provide awareness on the effects of nuclear energy and nuclear fission would want to provide fair treatment on the perception of the matter involved by bringing facts to our members and readers and letting them judge the seriousness of the use of nuclear.



MYTH: Radiation is man-made


Radiation is the term used for energy in motion. There are many natural sources of radiation that we live with safely every day. The sun also emits cosmic radiation while uranium’s, one of the many naturally radioactive elements, comes from the rocks.


The radiation from the nuclear energy industry contributes to less than 1 percent of the radiation we receive from other sources. Nonetheless, since it’s very high power, it is still considered very dangerous to live near areas where nuclear plants are. That is the reason why many nuclear plants are located in desserts or isolated places being a warning and danger zone.



FACT: Nuclear energy is rapidly expanding on a global scale


Yes, you read this right. Reviews state that there are a lot of countries which use nuclear energy despite its dangers. Therefore, we are fighting off a battle with the giants.


• 29 countries use safe, clean nuclear energy to generate electricity

• 441 nuclear energy plants generate 14% of the world’s electricity

• 16 countries rely on nuclear energy for at least a quarter of their total electricity, including:

• France 78%

• South Korea 39%

• Japan 30% (despite the Fukushima explosion which caused a great impact not only in Fukushima itself but also in Yokohama, Hirojima and even on the country’s capital, Tokyo)

• USA 20%

• 61 new plants are under construction in 15 countries

• The IAEA expects at least 70 new plants worldwide by 2030



MYTH: Anything Nuclear is Safe


Despite proponents’ claims that it is safe, the history of nuclear energy is marked by a number of disasters and near disasters. The 1986 Chernobyl disaster in Ukraine is one of the most frightening examples of the potentially catastrophic consequences of a nuclear accident. An estimated 220,000 people were displaced from their homes, and the radioactive fallout from the accident made 4,440 km2 of agricultural land and 6,820 square km2 of forests in Belarus and Ukraine unusable. It is extremely difficult to get accurate information about the health effects from Chernobyl. Government agencies in Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus estimate that about 25,000 of the 600,000 involved in fire-fighting and clean-up operations have died so far because of radiation exposure from the accident. According to an April 2006 report commissioned by the European Greens for the European Parliament, there will be an additional 30,000 to 60,000 fatal cancer deaths worldwide from the accident.

© 2015 Carlton Church


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on May 5, 2015
Last Updated on May 5, 2015
Tags: Carlton Church, Carlton Church Tokyo Japan, Tokyo Japan, Tokyo, Japan

Author

Carlton Church
Carlton Church

United States Minor Outlying Islands