Accident

Accident

A Story by Carolyn0621
"

bus accident

"

Removing the earbuds from my ears, I smile and look over at the three girls who have interrupted my song. I'm really annoyed at this point. I have been answering questions about competition all month long. We have perfected our routine and I'm ready to return and prove once again why our quad is number one. We are returning champs for the fourth year in a row.

"Yes ladies" I smile politely trying hard not to show my annoyance with them for interrupting my song.

I'm only half listening to them as they go on and on about how excited they are. Out of the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse of Rachel. She is up and dancing around. I roll my eyes at her attempt of trying to be the center of attention. She drives me nuts. I know she hates me because she wanted captain so bad. Still, I try my hardest to be friends with her and not let her snideness get the better of me.

Before I can get the words out of my mouth to tell her to sit her a*s down, my head is slammed into the seat in front of me and she is flying forward. The tires screech and the sound of the impact is deafening. I hear the girls screaming. Some are screaming in pain, others are trying to get someone's attention to make sure they are all right. Everything goes black.

When I come to, there is a heavier set woman who looks to be about in her early forties that is looking me over. I scan the area trying to get my bearings and see what is going on around me. I see Rachel on the floor. A firefighter is giving her CPR. I can give a small chuckle as I think of how bad she is going to freak out because of the amount of mud and dirt that is collecting in her hair.

The firefighter checks her pulse, he shakes his head and his face is over come with determination. "Come on!" He continues pumping on her chest.

A second firefighter comes up to him. "Johnson?"

The first firefighter shakes his head. There is pain in both of their eyes. I realize what they are saying to each other. Rachel is dead. Only eighteen years old. She will never get to go to college, start a career or a family. I feel a tear make its way down my face.

The EMT that is checking me over has been talking away to another EMT. I assume giving her stats on me as they check my blood pressure and my eyes to see if they dilate. I look over to my right and I can see out the window. Already, they have about a third of the squad off the bus. I can see some of them hanging out in the ditch far enough from the busy road. They are huddled together, hugging each other, crying. A few of them are in arm slings, covered in blankets and drinking water.

"What's your name sweetie?" the EMT asks me trying to give me her best smile.

"Casey," I tell her.

"Such a beautiful name" she smiles, "Can you tell me how old you are?"

"Eighteen" I respond.

"Ok Casey, all I can see is a bruise on your forehead from hitting the seat in front of you. Does anything else hurt?"

"No." I tell her. I am being honest. I look down at myself thinking how strange it is that I'm not in pain but I shrug it off as adrenaline and conclude I will be sore later.

"Casey, we're going to get you off the bus as soon as possible. Currently both directions are blocked." she explains.

I look around scanning the inside and the outside of the bus just by moving my head. I don't want to be any problem for the EMTs that are working on me and around me. At the front of the bus, there are 3 firefighters lifting the bus driver. They are being cautious with his right leg. Out of the corner of my eye I can see a little bit of what is happening behind me. Beth is answering the same series of questions that I have been answering. She is wearing a neck brace.

Outside the bus, I am able to see three ambulances. At each station there is a few of the girls getting checked over. Some hooked to IVs already. I hear the sirens as an ambulance out of my sight takes off. I assume one of my girls are in it. It's almost my turn to get off the bus. Returning my attention to the EMT that is with me she starts explaining what to do after I get off the bus. 

"When I get you get off the bus, we are going to head over to one of the ambulances where they will look you over more thoroughly. They will determine if you have to go to the hospital or not." She explains. Then looks over her shoulder where she receives a nod from an older looking gentlemen that is dressed exactly like her. She looks back to me.

"Ok Casey were going to take you off now. I want you to stand very slowly." She smiles.

I go to reach for the seat in front of me to help brace myself. My arm doesn't move. I attempt to lift my left leg to move it towards her to try and turn my self. It doesn't move. I look into her eyes as mine begin to water. "I can't move"

 

© 2018 Carolyn0621


Author's Note

Carolyn0621
This is my first attempt at writing. I know I have a long ways to go but I would like some feedback. Am I going in the right direction? Tips. Thank you

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
Added on March 24, 2018
Last Updated on March 24, 2018
Tags: cheerleading, first attempt, beginner, accident

Author