White Picket Fence Effect

White Picket Fence Effect

A Story by Charlie - Marie
"

There was a switch in my brain; a something or another that allowed me to remember...

"

Safety

Chapter 1

I woke, suddenly, out of another Crapshoot. My clothing, bed sheets, and body were all covered in sweat. This was an unholy act. My pupils were wide for I was still a bit disoriented from the short lapse of reality I had encountered. My peers in the Arena have never experienced these Crapshoots, strictly forbidden in my Union. I was away from my family and banished to the horrific corridors of my room in the Directorate Building. There must be something wrong with me. I’m isolated from the rest of my Union. I am bad. I am dangerous. I am unsafe. I bring havoc to the world we live in. I refused to bask in my own failure. I didn't want to be with the group of Arena. They said this was a gift. They said they were trying to help me, but all I witnessed was death and suffering.


I looked out of my one and only window, shared by an Arena of three. We were the only ones left in this… this… this place. I think I found Hell. I sometimes fantasized about being back with my family and living a life of simplicity and blissful ignorance. We were the only three that could handle bearing the truth of the New Order we live under. My room-mates were Elders, but I have barely stolen half the oxygen they have. No one asked any questions. Long ago, in the time of utter perfection, everyone was free. They did not have to breathe the air we had to breathe, drink the water we have to drink " and all because we aren't like the others. We are the ones who remember.


I could recall, clear as crystal, what happened seven years ago at 2:12 A.M. I swear to all things holy that the voices would not… shut up. The Directors said this would give us love, but this isn't lovely. What they told us was not beneficial; it just made it harder to breathe. All of the others had dull, blue eyes and white, blonde hair. Every last one of them. I was smart, nevertheless, and didn't think twice about the Injection not affecting me. I figured our Directors would be too lazy to continue this on every generation, but I was sadly mistaken. Mothers and fathers who conceived after the Injection was given had no choice than to genetically engineer the living being inside of the mother’s body to fit strict demands. The child must have perfection seeping out of its veins. No mental hiccups, personal thoughts and opinions were aggressively restricted, and any imbalance or unfair advantage on the child’s body or mind must be eliminated or Handicapped.


The rest of the robots continued their everyday chores, like they would do before the Injection. I didn't understand their behaviour. I vividly remember the feeling of being afraid. I wasn't scared for myself, as some might think, but I was absolutely terrified by the possibility that somebody else might take my place. If I was alone, I would be afraid of everything. I owe my life to the two remaining Elders that keep my heart beating. I see no point in continuing life when life is nothing but a toy soldier. Sometimes, I truly lose my sanity and ability to speak, only able to repeat the words my brother told me so very long ago. He wasn't a soldier. I don’t know what he was; really, besides that he was the wisest, bravest person that has ever graced this Earth. 


Envy

Chapter 2

It was the early morning hours or the incredibly late night hours of the day. One of the Directors gave me some sort of medicine and watched my every muscle until the pill traveled down my esophagus.  He continued to sit with me for another three minutes, and then took his leave; even upstairs, I could still hear the rubbing of his old leather jacket. I made it a habit to never look in the face of one of the Directors. This was not because of respect or fear, but more out of sheer disrespect and the possibility that I will not be able to control my actions.


I was daydreaming of all the things I never had, and never will, until I heard one of the Elders whispered in a sing-song tone, “Caspian, your eyes �" they’re brown.” I didn’t know what was going on, even though this has happened before �" two occasions. All of the Elders looked tremendously worried. I felt a film cover my iris and I knew that they were once again the blue that I was born with. There was no hiding my shaggy black hair, though. I would never be like them and before the Injection, I didn’t have to.


I watched the cold, dark walls shift back and forth. I could feel the Earth’s tilt, moving, moving, stopping, continuing. I never told the Elders. I knew they couldn’t feel it. Not only was I physically isolated, but my mentality was godforsaken, as well. I was a criminal, vandalizing myself; I knew I wasn’t bad or dangerous or horrible, but that’s what I forced myself to think. The unknown was in the hands of fate; I had no control over what could happen to me. Maybe if I force false information inside of my mind, I won’t be different. Maybe if I am the same, I won’t be a threat to the safety of the Union. I was only 12, so how could I cause chaos to echo through the town that I loved? I didn’t want to rebel. I didn’t want to change the world. I DIDN’T WANT TO BE DIFFERENT. I knew what I had to do. This will stop. The Directorate gave me no other options. The choice is clear.


The sun had done its job and the moon was undressing for all of us to see. I was vulnerable like that sweet moon, once, too. Not anymore. The wax of our pumpkin coloured candle was overflowing its jar, and the light that I had yearned to stay, was out. I was only to sleep for two more hours, so that the Directors would still be awake. I would take the wrong path and get caught on purpose to fool them when I make me true escape. I wasn’t scared of their wrath anymore. They needed me and wouldn’t dare kill me. One week from today, everything would change, and the robots would have me to thank… or me to hate.


I began changing from my pyjamas into the clothes of the robots. I always wanted to feel how they felt �" now I knew they felt nothing �" and be what they were �" they weren’t people. I never fathomed that they would want to be like me. I was in a horrible situation, but I was free and they weren’t. If they had the chance to be a little boy, scared to breathe, they would take it. That’s what our world has come to today.

 

I constantly overheard the Directors speaking of all this war, famine, poverty, and greed of the Old World, but they didn’t even know themselves. They couldn’t remember what I remembered. They were as ignorant as the robots. Were they being ruled by a hierarchy? No… impossible. All my life, I knew the Directors to be the most powerful rulers who ever existed. More lies. Don’t they realize that this is the worst fate imaginable? They took away all of our Sins, but every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction. They took away all of our joy.


My realization was cut short as I heard the rubbing of leather up the stairs. I crept out of my chamber and met eyes with the most traumatizing thing any person could see. What was he doing here? I remembered that ghostly look… 

© 2015 Charlie - Marie


Author's Note

Charlie - Marie
How do you guys like the first chapter? Should I continue?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed this so far, but I'm still pretty lost to what's going on. I know you'd probably shed some light as you went on, but right now, it's hard to see what's going on or what you're talking about. Maybe more detail and feed more info, but not as forcefully? Great idea and I can't wait to read the rest of this!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 1, 2015
Last Updated on February 3, 2015
Tags: dystopian, perfection, immorality, adventure, survival

Author

Charlie - Marie
Charlie - Marie

Rome , Italy



About
I'm just a teenager who was born with a pen where my mouth should be. I don't like using the word "love" loosely and somehow I manage to find the audacity of courage within myself to write the very wo.. more..