The word-man

The word-man

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Know the truth. Open your eyes. Don't be fooled by naysayers and liars.

"
020_20

The word-man.


(Need men of woman to write the truth. Thank you for Hemingway, Kosinski, Twain and Nevil Shute. They wrote about the truth. The word-man must leave the truth behind. Maybe someone will pay attention and learn a better way. If we had no Alice walker or Helen Hunt Jackson. History would false truth create by opinion of the men in-charge. Hiding weaknesses and mistakes.)


The word-man


I brought coffee to the old Poet at the boardwalk park bench in Monterey in the early morning. Every Saturday and Sunday I could find him staring at the sea and writing. I brought my chess board. I hope for a game of chess and conversation.


He greeted me with a smile. I shook his hand and offered him the coffee. He took the coffee and asked. “What the payment. A game of chess or words?”


I requested both. He smiled and looked at the sea. Told me. ” You will learn to accept your life for what it is. We are, just pebbles in a pond that rarely moved. No-one can do much to change life.  We are, just fools waiting for death and peace.”


I looked at his sad eyes. Today they were filled with sadness. I asked him. “You are the Monterey word-man. You share and help us young writers. Do you really believe all life is useless and life had no purpose.?”


He smile strongly. His hazel eyes watching the waves dance. He told me. “I came here to died and to write my last poetry. You brought me into the poetry readings and pretty Poet’s. You gave an old Poet a reason to laugh and learn. Young minds and new dreams give hope to the old dreamers. I will be okay my friend. Just becoming afraid death is near. Cancer is almost done with me.”


I know he was sick. He left his family to keep them free of watching him dying. I knew death and I told him. “Let’s me be a friend till the end.”


I asked him. “Was the life worthwhile. Do you hold regret?”


He stood up and started to dance on the sand and then he ran into the Monterey bay cold water. I watched him while I  walk along the shoreline. The old Poet taught me. Life is long and to laugh. Even at death.


He came back to me. Gave me a journal. He told me. “This is for you. Remember the old word-man. Keep the poetry and story alive. Death will come. All we leave is the love we shared and kindness give. We need a million word-men to keep the truth alive and tell the world about the sweet and good possibilities of a life.”


I came back the next week. He was gone. I open the journal. I read his first poem.

Blind man


Bear the fruit of love said a blind man to his son. His father looked at his father. Spoke in pain.

Pa, you live without seeing. You live in a world of darkness?


The old man looked at his son. Told him. “I lived without my eyes for 50 years. I have known great joy and happiness.”


With a smile he whispered. “I lived a thousand days without seeing the world I know is so beautiful to see. I never saw the sun fall into the ocean. The moon rise up to light the darkness of the night. But my son. I’m blind.”


“I see a world for you to be happy in. A world with no limits, no boundaries without knowing the beauty of sight. I learn life is good and days are long. In my mind I can see all the beauty surrounding me. With each word spoken, I have learned life can be good for even a blind man such as I.”


“So my son. Forget your sadness of my lost sight. Because I’m happy. Just to be a man. Knowing you my son.


                                     Word-man 1992


He left me a note. Never give up. My Word-man friend goes forward with hope and no fear. Only blind men are the men and woman who cannot open the door to laughter and friendship.

         Coyote

© 2013 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
A old story. I believe need more writer's and reader's. Can fool a man who can see the truth.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There is so much wisdom in your story Coyote. Sometimes, blind men can see more than those with eyes. They see laughter, happiness, joy, friendship and love in a way that is internal. Perhaps if we could see life in that way we would all find the wisdom the Word man spoke of. Great writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Thank you Tim. I appreciate the comment.



Reviews

Your story(journal) is a life lesson to be learned. You are a wise man Coyote. I find your work breathtaking. Absolutely beautiful.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

that is a beautiful and moving story... I had tears in my when reading this story, this story shows beauty in life, friendship and power of writing... truly amazing story

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a fantastic story & man !! Both Men..one to reach out and listen...the other to dance & speak ..
Thank you Coyote !!!! For sharing this beautiful lesson in friendship !

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very sad tale in some ways and hopeful in others. Often times when life is short people look back at their life and judge it. Those who write about their lives often are the truth tellers, not the history writers. Reading journals from people who lived in the past is how we really learn about the truth of history.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such a kewl write Coyote, shows something I and we have known about you , a man who has compassion, empathy and one who feels. We all seek the truth, that is what makes us learn, some just choose a different path and that is okay to,. That my friend is acceptance, something we all strive for. An old scribe but jus as valuable today. thank you my friend

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote this truly verifies what I say so often. We can choose to be happy, we have a choice........This is incredible. I am sharing this one, I hope you don't mind.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Reading this, I have many of the same reactions and feelings of it that I see reflected in the reviews already submitted, so I will just echo those and not be repeditive. Additionally, my only comment would be that we often "see" more when somethings are not visible, and "hear" things in words that are silent until read. Thank you for sharing this experience.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Holy, tears and goosebumps. What a moving write. So much beauty and truth around us that we are blind to...truer words were never spoken. Thanks so much for sharing this, it's a timeless, cherished read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This brought real tears to my eyes!

The inevitability of death and the purpose of life...
Love to share and kindness to give...how often do we remember that?
And therein lies the sadness of it all...

And beauty is all in the mind...remember Hellen Keller?
Now..I am becoming really sentimental!
Coyote...this is going into my favorites. And you my dear are a very blessed writer! dIVYA

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

11 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind words. We can learn from anyone if we desire.
DIVYA

11 Years Ago

I understand that and this was the best lesson learnt here!

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2003 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on January 12, 2013
Last Updated on January 12, 2013

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..