A witness to life

A witness to life

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Just words

"
                         A witness to life


I left the Army in 2000. I wanted to see my kids grow-up. Good friends didn't. Old wars didn't effect me. I fought the quick and easy wars. Just clean-up and I went home.  My best friend of 12 year who was from Michigan sharing the same duty stations joined the Reserved.  We had our Summer meetings. Our kids grew-up together. My friend Don went to Iraq for three tours. I send him books and letters. He didn't write back for one year.  I called his parent. His mother gave the phone to his father and the father told me. Don was killed last August in Iraq. I thanked the father and I went to my room. Me and wife cried tears for lost of a good friend.

I found his daughter on a poetry site. She wrote poetry for her dad. I track her down and I kept in contact with her. We did the norm. Facebook. I wasn't right after learning of my friend death. I did research and I found more friends loss to war. Poor wife and family had great concern for me. Wife organized a meeting with Don's parent. I went to their home and I met his sisters, brother and parent. They lived deep in middle Michigan. The parent were very kind and I told them many stories about Don. He was a pure country boy. Strong willed and strong as a horse. I told them how he took on three young soldiers on a bet and won. I told them. He was the instructor for the new drivers and the target range. Don could shoot a rifle and put down a deer at 500 yards. We shared stories and the mother gave me a video of the town grieving for a lost son and a round from the 21 gun salute at his funeral. The parent took me to his grave. Fresh flowers from his daughter lay on the grave. He was buried in a Military location and surrounded by the soldiers loss to many wars. I learn this day. Don was gone. I said a silence prayer for him.
-----
                  
                Dear Don
I miss you my good friend.
You are always on my mind.
I promise to watch over your children and
I will ensure they know.
They were your life and you loved them with all your heart.

---
A few years later. His daughter invited me to her graduation. I was honored to go. I saw his daughter grew-up and
became a beautiful girl. I told her. Her dad would be so happy. She was create a good life. Her sister was marry and had a child. A wild and running boy. I saw the boy and I saw Don. Long and slim. Wild eyes and fearless. I told the oldest daughter.  Your daddy would be so happy. He would of been the best Grandpa. We embraced and I told her. If you need anything. Please call me.

I went to a Memorial day celebration.  I went early. I don't like the military holidays now. Just brought back memories of old friend loss to war. They had the photo of soldiers loss to war from Michigan. I stood with my Grandchildren by my friend photo. Just holding sadness and regret. Maybe If I stayed in. He would be alive. A WW2 Vet and a Vietnam Vet came to me. They both slapped my back and they introduced themselves. The WW2 Vet told me. Son, damn wars take the best from us. We cannot forget our friend. The Korea war Vet asked me would I care If he prayed. He prayed.


                 ---
Dear Lord
Together us old soldiers gather.
We pray old friend are waiting for us in the soldier paradise.
Lord, tell them we remember them and as long as we are alive.
We have a important mission dear Lord.
We are "A witness to a life."
Ensure their family know. Their soldiers were brave and strong men.
We cannot forget.
----
I thanks my new friends. I told them. I needed their words. I learn this. We must not allow old friends loss to war to be forgotten. We became "A witness to life." We must ensure their children know. A father's love is forever.

                                      John Castellenas/Coyote











                          

© 2016 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Just words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

How wonderful you found his daughter on a poetry site....and the fact she writes tributes to him must have warmed your heart. Soldiers see so many deaths.....feel so many attachments that are forced to be severed. Your emotive words are heart-wrenching, John. Wars.....they continue and more people die. Tragic. Lydi**

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are right my friend. War keep coming and our youth are taught war and death before love and dan.. read more



Reviews

How wonderful you found his daughter on a poetry site....and the fact she writes tributes to him must have warmed your heart. Soldiers see so many deaths.....feel so many attachments that are forced to be severed. Your emotive words are heart-wrenching, John. Wars.....they continue and more people die. Tragic. Lydi**

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are right my friend. War keep coming and our youth are taught war and death before love and dan.. read more
A beautiful text about sad things. Plato said it's only the dead that withness the end of a war...I've read somewhere that in the history of mankind there was only a month of peace. A devestating thing to read if it's true. There are no victories in war, no winners. Thanks for sharing these words. :) Rudi

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are right Rudi and thank you for reading and the comment. No winners in war. I agree.
This is a touching story. You are a true friend. Rare are those people who will have concern for the family of their friends like that...
Well-written. Kudos to you, my friend!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Soldiers in the USA have organization for the children. Old soldiers know. Only soldiers know the pa.. read more
A heart felt piece of writing and I say Amen to that. I am a pacifist at heart, but my thoughts go out to those who serve in war. well done for writing this piece.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Most soldiers after seeing war and violence become pacifist. Best book is called "About face". About.. read more
very moving story ... many wise points in your thoughts Coyote Man ... i am with you on this one 100% .. seems like such a heavy load to be "a witness to a life" ... too many lives ... but i am reminded of the words of Jesus "For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." ..hard to believe isn't it! :(
E.
ps .. love the pics ..thanks for sharing this very personal story

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Thank you Einstein. My friend brother painted on his fence. True words. "Freedom is very costly. Som.. read more
The service rendered by soldiers - thank you for remembering and honouring their families.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Thank you Solar. i appreciate the comment. Can't forget. Soldiers are still serving in dangerous pla.. read more
as tears spilled..i also lost my uncle in the army as i cry for him at every thought yet i applaud him for his service and dedication to make citizens happy with freedom....

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Writing Angel

8 Years Ago

and women.
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

Yes women too. Women and men serving for a long time. Since the Civil war for the USA.
Writing Angel

8 Years Ago

yes they have as i have administered the idea for marine

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

554 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 21, 2016
Last Updated on February 21, 2016

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing