My Favorite Authors

My Favorite Authors

A Poem by MajesticGust
"

A poem about my favorite authors, in the style of an Epic Poem

"

Sing, O Muses, of the epic poet, who witnessed the fall of great Troy. The siege lasting over ten years and the war won by the Greeks, yet both sides suffered miserable losses, for the blessing given upon the prince Paris by Aphrodite also resulted in the jealous fury of Hera and Athena.


And who was this poet who wrote such events as if he himself was there to witness it all? Who can it be, but the great Homer? Though yet unsure if he was one man or a group of many, because of the lacking trails he has left behind after these years, he is remembered as the center of Greek culture.


Tell me, O Muses, of how even after 3000 years, his writing was kept and prized over all the classical literature, and even now he is worth being read in class after class, his epics still sold worldwide. Many cultures did his writings visit; for no one can resist the greatest epic written.


“Listen,”  he called through writing. “Listen, all those who witness the writings of Homer. The gods themselves given me the ability to see the events of Troy and how it fell; the goddess Athena herself showed me Odysseus as he traveled the seas of the Mediterranean, and the trials he had to overcome throughout ten years to return home to Ithaca. Listen, read and think. Those who prize literature above all, witness true great writing!”


Tell me, too, about these things, O daughters of Zeus, and the stories of history written so intriguing that it becomes like an amphorae full of wine for the thirsty. Sing of another great figure of history who changed and still yet affects us in present times. Speak of his parables and of how he called those who had ears to listen.


And who was the zealot determined enough to scribe these events down though it costs it his life? None but the tentmaker, who was called to repentance of his evil deeds; for he was trusted the Son and has seen life. Called to spread the word of the Son of Man, he reached as far as Rome to Asia, and still his written letter is called the greatest written letter in all of literature.


From Corinth to Ephesus to Rome to Thessolonia, he traveled and wrote sharing the news of the one he calls Lord. The Apostle who goes by Paul continues his influence; for, by Isaiah’s words, “the word of the Lord endures forever.” Even now, the effects of his writing is seen throughout the world. Even to his death, the apostle spoke of the truth he believed.

© 2018 MajesticGust


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on November 1, 2018
Last Updated on November 1, 2018
Tags: epic, homer, paul

Author

MajesticGust
MajesticGust

Alpharetta, GA



About
I specialize in what my professor calls "twisted reality". I only write short fictions, though that may change later on. more..

Writing
Snip Snip

A Poem by MajesticGust