Mai Part 3 A&B

Mai Part 3 A&B

A Story by Chahklat

I wasn't the least bit interested in Keith's words of comfort. He'd always been the sort of person to make promises he couldn't keep. I didn't view this situation as any different. In fact, I doubted there was anything he could bring to the table. Keith was as much a ladies man as Toby. What could he possibly know about pain and heartbreak? Heartbreak. That was something only I could deal with.

“You do love me right?”

A long time ago I had been hesitant to ask the question. A naive girl, I thought if anything were to go wrong with our relationship, the blame rested solely on me. I was new to romance. To think this fresh love presented to me of all people who was so different from him, with no strings or lies attached, was my mistake.

I hate Toby. Deep, from the farthest cobwebbed corners of my heart, it holds a special hate for him. He damaged my ability to trust, to love. Yet, I continue to believe his horrid actions shouldn't hurt. Why should it? Why won't his sins wash away from my memories? Why must my mind remain constantly on him? If I had to admit that I loved him, even in the past, I could not escape my eternal self loathing. It is the reason I would rather forget.

“Mai, why do you even ask?” He squeezed me tightly in his arms. “It's fate, right?”


Back then, I didn't agree or disagree. I wanted to feel him. I wanted to taste his lips, lock them with mine, because I hoped he belonged to me. But then he would laugh and burst my bubble with his words.

“I'm kidding! I don't believe in fate y'know.” He grinned. “But we're together for a reason, right? I believe that. You're so adorable.” He squeezed tighter.


I would rather forget.
I would rather forget the things which kill me inside.

During school, the rage inside of me blotted my concentration. His stupid face kept appearing in my thoughts. It was all I could do not to storm out of the school and go home. Instead, I wrote in my notebook every little thought that popped into my head. I had 3 pages filled, Toby's name written all through them.

If only I could believe in Karma. Then, all my worries would be laid to rest. But somehow the guy escaped through life with no real consequences. It made me doubt every prayer I had ever sent to God. The last one being, “God, I know I'm praying for the misfortune of another, but could you please do the world a justice by striking him with lightning? I could even settle for an injury. Just please let him suffer for his wrongs!”

I can't figure out the reason he still stands unharmed. I wondered what I ever saw in his deceptive soul and those clear lake water eyes that pierced so deeply into me, figuring the best excuses.

Keith made a compelling point. Why let revenge go to waste? I relished the thought as I trudged onward to the next class. Toby hadn't wasted any time at all. He used me, like a steering wheel, to get where he was going. I'd wasted the last year and a half giving my heart to a guy who gave nothing in return but pain. I would not allow it to continue. Already my anger was resurfacing and replacing any sadness about the past.

I bared with murderous thoughts and shady intentions down to the last bell. My body was exhausted from holding back emotions. I felt as if my energy had been drained, every last drop. I trudged through the narrow hallways as fast as I could. And it wasn't very fact. That old school was a two story building with classrooms bursting at the seams. In the hallways there was barely enough space to move, let alone breathe. I didn't bother thinking about the homework I knew I would not do. My grades were bad enough that I didn't want to tangle with them. I stopped at one of the school water fountains eager to take my mind off all my troubles.

I felt a tap on my back as I leaned in to get the last gulp. I ignored it as I had been doing to almost everyone. I hunched over the fountain, drinking even more, determined not to face the person behind me.

"Hello!" A face greeted suddenly in front of mine. The personal space murderer leaned in beside me, smiling broadly. I almost chocked on water out of surprise.






--Part B---

"What is your problem?!" I wiped away the water on my face as I straightened.

"I didn't scare you that bad, did I?" Romy stood in front of me laughing like a hyena. "Anyway, you deserve it. I hope you piss all over yourself in front of the entire school."

I knew she meant nothing harmful by the statement. Romy was the only person in the world who could say such things to me and get away with it.

"What do you mean?" I asked, tilting my head curiously. "Did I do something bad?"

"Oh, you know you've done Mai. Don't even pretend. 3 weeks without a single phone call or word. We attend the same school and everything. Yet, you've been avoiding me like an ex-boyfriend." I flinched as she pronounced the word 'ex-boyfriend'. "Aren't we supposed to be sisters?" She set her hands on her hips and shook her head in mock disappointment.

"Half-sisters." I reminded her once again. Romy only brought up the fact when she wanted information or pity. Yes, we shared a father, but we weren't really that close. In fact, our relationship could described better as close cousins. In the past our parents weren't on good terms. I was a product of her father's young escapades, an affair he had with my mother 17 years ago while Romy bloomed in her own mother's belly. Growing up under that knowledge and those circumstances had been difficult for me and Romy. But, eventually, we stopped sweating the insignificant stuff and became best friends.

"If you keep saying that, I really will believe it." She laughed. Romy was born with a natural high, confidence, and the smile of an angel. I'm not saying she acted the angelic part, but somehow she knew just when to work her smile.

We were complete opposites, even in terms of physical appearance. No one would ever mistake us for sisters. People often cried out in disbelief at the shocking news. She was a short, light skinned black person with dark oval eyes, a thin body like a supermodel, and dyed blonde hair. I was tall, dark chocolate with narrow brown eyes, a thicker build, and chin length brown hair. Both of us reflected our perspective mothers, even in personality.

"Lend me a ride home and I promise to catch you up on everything." I bargained. I wasn't one for smiles and small talk. Yet, I had so much to tell Romy. The whole Toby incident had sucked me dry of any time to catch up with any of my friends.

"Yea. You better." She laughed once again as we walked along. We slithered through the hallway like snakes, searching for every crevice in which to enter. Though the hall was crowded, I was still in a bad mood. Every time someone accidentally bumped or touched us, I cut my eyes at them giving them a look of death. Eventually, we reached the senior lockers on the second floor. I'd planned to go straight home or either chill with Romy. I wasn't allowed back at her house. Our parents still had a bit of drama. Though, sometimes she snuck, as best as she could, to mine. There was not another second I wanted to spend in a place that brought upon me such strong emotional turmoil. I just wanted to release my anger. I felt that even a little pressure would be relieved in talking to Romy.

As I finished closing my locker on the homework I didn't plan on doing, I turned to join Romy at her locker, around the corner, and there he was. He was standing to the side of me smiling his crooked and phony smile. It was him.

© 2020 Chahklat


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on December 12, 2020
Last Updated on December 12, 2020

Author

Chahklat
Chahklat

SC



About
My name is Chelsea. I'm 32 years old. I've been in love with writing since I was 10. I have gotten better at it in some ways, but I'd like to go back to my passion when I first discovered my talent. .. more..

Writing
Mai Part 2 Mai Part 2

A Story by Chahklat


Mai Part 1 Mai Part 1

A Story by Chahklat