Night

Night

A Story by Chance.Baggett

The air was laced with silence; a tether that would only be broken by the gentle footsteps that padded against soft grass. It was dark, far too dark to see a thing, yet we were still guided along by nothing but each other, and the sense to explore the grim atmosphere that awaited. Darting eyes would be met by the vague outline of a tall, man-made hill, and, without a sound, we made our way to its top, at last resting the weary legs ached with the burden of travel. We both sat, watching the empty particles of darkness dance in our vision, seemingly awaiting for… anything at all. But that hope was met with disappointment. The silence was nearly unsettling, and eerie. So I turned. I managed to smile, in spite of it all, as my eyes were met with the silhouette of my apparent companion. There wasn't too much I could make out of her, nor much that I could remember. She did however, give me an odd feeling of reassurance. Reassurance that there was indeed someone else there, waiting and watching alongside me. There was much I wanted to say, and countless things I wanted to ask. But silence held its tight grip, and I didn't dare disturb it. Not yet.


She was close to me. I could feel the warmth of her amidst the cold night, something that was welcomed, and perhaps needed. It was the only thing I could focus on, now that I noticed it. It began to consume my mind, which was now in a furious state of wonder. It longed to study her every movement, every feature, but I simply could not see. I turned back to my front, and surprisingly saw a faint light in the far, far distance. It was in a rectangle, most likely an illumination from a room in a tall building. It was nice to see after all this time. However, the great many of lights that soon followed it was much more pleasing. Almost in unison, the dead city that was silent in front of us roared in resurrection. I could see at last; countless structures brilliantly glittering in the distance across a midnight blue river.


The lights brought surprise, though the vision that came from them led to an inevitable fear. I could see her in my peripherals, watching along in silent admiration. I was frozen, hesitant to even breathe. Streaking colors raced across the sky, followed by a noise that could only be compared to thunder. Of course, fireworks had completely painted the picture of the landscape around us. It would have been breathtaking, if it weren't for my breath already being gone. I couldn't help but take a glance to the side, finally reaching a shaky inhale. Emotions were continuously packed downward, and the anticipation for action was inevitable. I eventually had to look to the figure sitting beside me. My head turned, and, with an instant, my breath caught. Her. She was there. Of course she would be. It wouldn't have been anyone else. My cramped emotions still lingered, but were now eased down to a sense of joy and relief in one. She sat, here with me. And that alone, was enough. The simple sight of. . . Her.

© 2017 Chance.Baggett


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on July 20, 2017
Last Updated on July 20, 2017
Tags: Psychology, Romance, Silence

Author

Chance.Baggett
Chance.Baggett

Chattanooga, TN



About
I want to know. More than anything; I want to know. more..