Theorised Magic

Theorised Magic

A Story by ChaosRising
"

A short description of the basics of magic in my Volumes.

"
The Aspected Levels
All mages know that cast magic is aspected magic. Each mage draws their power from a seemingly infinite source, like a mosquito draws blood from a cattle-beast. This stage in magic is known as the "source", and each magic has its own form of source, usually tied indefinitely to a realm.
When pouring the energy through the barriers of a realm, the source power is fractured and diluted, creating a power less so raw and uncontrollable. This segment in the wellspring's life is the "essence" magic.
The final composition of magical power is the common usage of an aspect's form, when the power is fully aspected and is altogether a new material. Humans are capable of using this magic easily because now the energy is malleable, and this is known as the "element" magic.
Distinctions between the three entropic levels of energy can sometimes be difficult to perceive, let alone understand. A simple example of clear borders is the changes in energy through shadow magic.
The source of shadow magic was long considered to be the being of shadow himself, the menace Sythain, but during the events encompassing his return, it became clear that there was a new factor. Voithrae is the name given to the source of shadow, or void. A hungry, clawing, and malign force that verged on Chaos. Subsequent dilution of this force led to the essence form called Naephet, terrestrial darkness. Characterized by a brooding black flame that sought to engulf the old order returning, Naephet acted as the hammer by which the element was battered, the element being Sythis, the element of shadow.

The Wellspring
Now, the magical energy is drawn from a source, which is in turn taken from another, larger source. Over three-hundred years ago, this Origin source was coined as the "Wellspring". Theories began arising as to the formalities of magic and this Wellspring's properties. Tying this source's entire being to a single realm was considers ludicrous, and so it was believed to be an infinite web, and human actions both take, and in some ways give back the energy. Reciprocity among all cycles ensures equilibrium in continuum.
Druids gave us the "All-Heart" theory, analogizing this power source as a heart, to all living things and terrestrial existence. Taking even the smallest amounts of energy to create medium to large scale spells is the opening of a wound, and the process from the "artery" to the caster is a hazardous thing. When large amounts of energy are released, the danger comes from a "capillary reaction" in which the flow cannot be stemmed and the caster will subsequently die. These "veins" that support the energy are called voidstreams, or voithestren in the elder tongue.
Another theory originated from the Korseki mages, they called the All-heart a star, using the same basic principles as the All-Heart theory, with some small exceptions. They preferred to believe that the star was a being of Chaos, and the power itself was malign. It was from these mages that the term voidstream was taken.

Binding Of Power- Spells and Rituals
Magics are reserves of power given animation within the laws of restraint and imagination of the caster. All power originates from raw energy, and the careful dilution over space and time is essential for humans. Refined, maneuverable magic is what is commonly used for spells and rituals.
When a spell is cast, it takes the form of a simple animation within a burst of energy, like a manifestation of fire. Sometimes a mage will employ the use of baubles to aid him during casting, and to allow smooth reaction. During battle, a sorcerer will use small blasts of harmful energy without much thought as to the preparation. These are spells. Spells can range in complexity and enormity over three simple classes, lesser, basic, and great. Each requires small amounts of energy and this power need not be bound.
A ritual is a complex and large-scale binding of energy to one or more command. Since energy is a free-flowing and difficult substance, the magic requires binding.
Through the use of words, especially in elder tongue, the animation is given a stronger impression over the power, much like pressure unto a mold. Glyphs or arcane symbols are different, easily trapping the power necessary for the ritual's needs. Gems or chains are much the same, holding or absorbing power. Preparation is usually required of curses, and so most curses are generally accepted as rituals.

Mages and Priests
Mortals cannot use Source magic, and would probably die in it's presence. As for Essence magic, it's still very dangerous- only a few humans in all of history could possibly wield it. The Element of a magic is its lowest form- the only kind used by mortals, and still not a gift given to everyone. Using magic drains a mage, however. They can only cast so much before the trauma kills them.
Priests take their power from a deity, which means that the costs are far less weighty for them. On the other hand their magic is far more… narrow-minded.
Here are a list of the four common Elements:
Fryth- Fire, most common.
Zyhr- Water.
Reth- Air.
Roth- Earth.
Whereas the clever mage could use Zyhr to breathe underwater, and tamper with Reth to create Leht- the form of Ice- priests cannot be so creative. They must follow the magic of their deity and cannot deviate. Should their god die- a thought so ridiculous before the Shadow's return- then their use of magic is terminated.

© 2012 ChaosRising


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on September 9, 2012
Last Updated on September 9, 2012
Tags: magic

Author

ChaosRising
ChaosRising

Ontario, Canada



About
My favourite books of all time were Steven Erikson's ten glorious volumes of The Malazan Book Of The Fallen. Now that's what I aspire to! more..

Writing
Falling Falling

A Poem by ChaosRising





Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Love Me Not
1986, Penny Herrera falls into the predatory clutches of Matt, an older man who has no other intention than to alter Pen