The Chronicles of Desala Sneak Peak

The Chronicles of Desala Sneak Peak

A Story by Charles K.
"

A Sneak Peek into my developing masterpiece.

"

It was a dark and ominous night, where the rain was pounding heavily as it fell to Earth, and the aroma of a fireplace filled the air through the chimneys of the old stone houses. The sound of restless horses echoed through the cold night air and everyone was indoors trying to stay warm around the open fireplaces. Well, almost everyone. The sound of running feet startled a family hidden in comfort within their homes not because the sound of someone running was startling, but the fact the noise was coming from above their rooftop.

Above their ceiling, a young man was running from roof to roof as fast as he possibly could while trying to maintain his balance along the slippery tiles upon the house. He ran and ran as though he was being pursued by someone however from the normal eye it would appear as though he was making a dashing escape from no one. But in reality, this man was running from what people fear the most particularly as a child. The man wasn’t running from another human, beast or life form known on this world but something more scarier than anyone could ever imagine.  The young man kept running and running until eventually he stopped to look around as he held what appeared to be a thick book in his hand. The sound of his pursuer had ceased and the only sound left was the sound of horses and the rain hitting the ground but it still did not calm his senses. He took a step back as he observed his surroundings only to step on a loose tile and slipped off the roof. As he fell he dropped the book he was carrying and grabbed hold onto the railing of the gutter on the on the house. Holding on tightly, he slowly raised his head to find a dark figure standing above him. The dark hooded figure leaned over, grabbed his hand and pulled him back onto roof.



“Well, Alric. It seems you have got yourself into trouble again.”

“No! No! Get away from me! You betrayed us all! Stay away!” Alric replied.

“Betrayed is such a harsh word. I would like to think of it as more of a- well- a reward more than anything else m’dear boy. Quite simple in fact. All they ask is for you to co-operate and hand over the book and no one has to get harmed.”


“I can’t believe we trusted you. Don’t you know what they will do once they have the book? They will kill everyone! Me. You. Everyone! And you’re going to let this happen?”

“Of course. The world needs change. This world is nothing but full of savage apes that do nothing but fight each other like animals. Disease and nothing but dirt between our toes. They promised a lot more then what we have. Look around you Alric. What do you see? You sure as hell know we could have so much more than this.”

“You’re wrong, Sigherd.”


 Sigherd grabs Alric by the collar of his shirt and  holds him close to the edge of the rooftop.

“I am not... WRONG! I will promise you this. This is the last thing you will ever see. Now, join me my brethren as the last of the Covenant shall fall to his death!” Sigherd said as dark figures emerged from the shadows. Sigherd lets go and Alric lets out a scream as he falls to ground. There lied Alric upon the cold hard ground barely conscious with the book laid out next to him. Alric reaches out to grab the book he had for such a long time protected only to breathe his last breath. The night had became quiet and the only noise left that could be heard was the sound of rain and a slight wind blowing a gentle breeze. The book then opened and suddenly glowed with writing being inscribed into the parchment which read:


 

17 September, 1450

‎"Forget me, the lone soldier in the midst of the cold rain that falls upon my face. As my heart bleeds in pain, with a hope that there is much more to gain. Oh how I wish I could leave this place but I know that I must stay & fight this never ending war. That is the fate of the lone man."

 

For this book, wasn’t like any other book anyone had ever encountered before. Not only did the book record specific dates in time but also had the ability to tell what was, is or going to happen.  The Book of Oracles, as some had came to call it, only ever chose two people in certain points in time. As a result, the Book of Oracles also records their life stories, from the past, present and future.  A book with that much power could turn out dangerous and if it ever got into the wrong hands, would end life as we know it.


Since that cold and rainy night, no one has ever known what happened to the Book of Oracles. It had became lost throughout the many years with not even a reference of it even existing. That is, until now...

© 2011 Charles K.


Author's Note

Charles K.
Thoughts on my writing?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on December 12, 2011
Last Updated on December 12, 2011

Author

Charles K.
Charles K.

Toowoomba, QLD, Australia



About
I believe I am somewhat of a wordsmith. Words are an art-form that defines a generation. From the people of the past, present and future, nothing but words are what can turn a country into turmoil or .. more..

Writing