One Soul

One Soul

A Story by ChasingTheDark
"

A man about to be hanged begs to see one friendly face before death embraces him.

"
I looked down toward the ground as the guards practically dragged me down the corridor, my chains scraping the whole way. They finally caught me, after all these years of running, this was my end. It wasn't me that started this though, it was them. They said I did things I didn't, convinced others the same, backed me into a corner. I reluctantly walked up a small set of stairs and raised my head, the noose hanging right before me. A large crowd jeered at me, screaming all manner of things, mainly variations of "How could you?!" and "You deserve this!" I sneered at them all; they made me into this, the things I had to do just so I could survive another day.
A rock flew through the air and cracked my right in my skull, throwing me off balance and knocking me to the ground. The guard chuckled to himself and hoisted me up, straightening me in front of the rope again. They all had condemned me without even asking why or thinking twice, the people I used to call my friends and family. Doubt never entered their minds, that maybe I was innocent and they were wrong. No, there wasn't an ounce of remorse in them, after all, it was their hate and accusations that led me to where I am now. Whether I committed the crimes was irrelevant now, I would die for them either way. 
I was hated with every fiber of their being. I did many terrible things on the run, trying to live to see the sunrise another day, but never until the false accusations began flying. They hunted me down like an animal, in their eyes that is all I am, an animal in need of being put down. Another man approached and wrapped the noose around my neck, securing it tightly. The crowd still screamed at me as they announced to the world my crimes, and that ultimately I was sentenced to death for them. I smiled as he named them off, one by one, chuckling at a few simply because of the ridiculousness of their accusations. Of course the angry mob took this as nothing more than a lack of remorse on my part.
All I wanted is for one person to see me for what I truly was, and not what this witch hunt has made me out to be. I scanned the crowd looking for a friendly face, or at least one of sadness or remorse. Just one soul who knew me for the person I was... The crowd cheered louder as the executioner approached, ready to drop me to my death. I looked down, tear rolling down my face, when I noticed in the back, there she was. Her eyes were filled with regret and sorrow, even this far away from her it was unmistakable. We locked eyes and I smiled at her, letting her know that I would be fine, to worry about herself, I got my one wish. She mouthed the words "I love you."
Ending 1

The guard made sure the noose was secure, backed away and began to pull the lever. I looked into her eyes, "I love you too." She turned away before I finished and the floor beneath me gave out.

Ending 2

The guard approached me, readjusted the noose to make sure it was secure, and backed away. As he signaled the execution, I turned to her and smiled grimly. "I did it all.." The floor beneath me gave out.

© 2017 ChasingTheDark


Author's Note

ChasingTheDark
Tried something a little different here. I wanted to try both endings, tell me which one you guys like better.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on October 21, 2016
Last Updated on May 23, 2017
Tags: death, sad, prisoner, hanging

Author

ChasingTheDark
ChasingTheDark

TX



About
22, Gay Male, Loves writing, video games, nature, etc... Lonely. Send me a message if you wanna talk. :) Please review/rate/comment on my writing! Anything is welcome. more..

Writing