Calypso

Calypso

A Story by Ancient My Enemy
"

For those who wonder. A prologue to a fantasy story about a shape-shifter and a strange girl.

"

 

CALYPSO

 

Calypso’s growl slowly died in his throat, the deep rumbling of a departing storm. With effort, he turned his back to the angry cloud of black smoke far upstream, and the stench of evil that surrounded it. Dropping down on all-fours, he took stock of the girl in front of him, wondering if he would regret having saved her. The odor of evil emanated from her as well in small, painful waves that invaded his nose and weighed down his heart. Yet she smelled of evil in the way that one smells of smoke after a night spent around the campfire - it was not her natural scent. It was this fact alone that had urged him to action.

The girl's cry of agony didn't startle him - the smell of her blood was thick in the air, speaking to him well of the several injuries he now saw upon her. The worst of these appeared to be one of her feet, a good amount of skin having been shorn off somehow during her escape.

She lay in a crumpled heap now, softly whimpering. A rock tumbled from a limp, outstretched hand. She'd meant to defend herself from this creature before her, but her injured state kept her from it. Calypso let out a deep huff, almost a sigh, creating a large cloud of breath that hung about his massive head. Poor thing. Poor, fragile thing.

Raising up onto his hind legs once more, Calypso surveyed the island. Another huff escaped his long muzzle, this time in frustration. He hadn’t wanted to bring them to this small scrap of land in the middle of the river, but the current was strong, and his present form wasn’t well-suited for swimming. Had the girl not blindly lashed out and caught his arm, his rescue may have failed altogether.

But this island would never do. With no trees or cover of any kind, they were completely exposed. Anyone from upriver could-

Calypso smelled it before he saw it, his muzzle high in the air. Sifting through dozens of scents, he found something new: charred flesh, burnt hair… and evil blood. The sight that followed moments later warmed his heart.

Bodies floated toward the island, the bodies of the evil men from upriver, as well as their horses, all of them parting around the island as they came. Bloody, mangled, some just pieces, they drifted swiftly by among a continuous soup of detritus. The still-smoldering lumber of boats and rafts, broken oars, smashed barrels of flour and sugar, battered chests of clothing and equipment - all and more littered the water’s surface. The only commonality in all the carnage was the insignia - a black flame on a field of maroon. It adorned everything, from the corpses’ livery to the tattered banners announcing regiment and unit.

The numbers were surprising, so much so that Calypso eventually sat back on his haunches, enjoying the gruesome parade from a more comfortable position. If there were this many of the non-armored men dead, then two or three times as many of the armored variety must have met the same fate. The thought of so many of the armored soldiers with their shields and helmets lying at the bottom of the river far upstream brought a wicked grin to his face. The evil ones must have also lost a great deal of valuables and supplies - not to mention reserves of weapons and armor - to the river’s depths.

However it had occurred, this was a fine victory. And however fragile this girl appeared, she was resourceful and brave. As she began to rouse, Calypso looked upon her with new eyes.

Walker Kornfeld

12/19/07

© 2015 Ancient My Enemy


Author's Note

Ancient My Enemy
Comments welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Is it just my computer no displaying something or did something get accidentally left out right here?----"But this island would never do. With no trees or cover of any kind, they were completely exposed. Anyone from upriver could-"

I'd like very much to pick out a line and say it's my favorite. However, all the lines are my favorite. You're writing is so textural. I can see and hear and smell everything you are describing So, don't leave it hanging too long! I can hardly wait to read the next installment.















'

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I read it twice, it was amazing! :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


Is it just my computer no displaying something or did something get accidentally left out right here?----"But this island would never do. With no trees or cover of any kind, they were completely exposed. Anyone from upriver could-"

I'd like very much to pick out a line and say it's my favorite. However, all the lines are my favorite. You're writing is so textural. I can see and hear and smell everything you are describing So, don't leave it hanging too long! I can hardly wait to read the next installment.















'

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Muzzle high in the air, Calypso smelled it before he saw it. Sifting through the dozens of scents he detected, he found something new. -- Very descriptive and quick in the way you changed up...nicely done.

As she started to awaken, Calypso looked upon her with new eyes. -- SO, there is MORE then???

Please do send me a note and let me know what I should read next, as I would be most interested in doing so! Thank you for writing this.
All my best, G.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautifully written with great descriptions!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 6, 2008
Last Updated on April 11, 2015


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Leaving Leaving

A Poem by Windy


ROSES ROSES

A Poem by Windy