Sleepy Hazel

Sleepy Hazel

A Story by FrikinFrancesca
"

A girl has been staying with her best friend Reed has she suffers from haunting nightmares each night leaving her screaming at hours of the night. With the comfort of her friend she can manage some hours but with the stress of her family and enemies will

"

Chapter One.

 

Timed Out.

        The girls body jerked forward harshly as she let a scream escape from her throat. It echoed  through the pitch black halls. The dark haired girls petite body covered head to toe in sweat as she began to stare through the shadows.  She pulled the loose covers from her body. She shook her head opening her piercing green eyes. 

 

"Another nightmare?" Reed's voice broke Alice's concentration. She turned her body to face him quietly. She stood in a black, short nightgown that hung slightly on her form. Her black shoulder length hair is disaray. She parted her pale lips to speak but her voice cracked at the attempt. She just nodded her head realizing she couldn't form the words together. 

It's been like the same thing for two months. The same nightmare always slightly different each time. The nightmare haunting her. 

        Reed walked forward and wrapped his long arms around Alice as she flinched at his touch. She soon began to relax in his tight embrace. His scent was so gentle and sweet as it encircled her. She smiled trying to calm herself. It has been the same too, Reed here holding her till she fell back asleep.

Each month the nightmare got worse, like a new piece of a horrible puzzle was being added and she was watching it form together. Alice sat up in her bed, she rubbed her eyes the sun peeked in through the window on the roof of her room. She brushed her dark hair out of her face with her hand. Reed was no where in sight but that was to be expected. He'd always leave when she fell back asleep. He'd always gently kiss her on the forehead with his soft lips before departing her. The nightmares had brought them closer together, that was the only thing that seemed slightly likable. She still felt compelled to love him, even more as a friend. Such a bold feeling she had developed for him.  She wasn't the one holding his heart though, or from what Alice knew. She was just the best friend, who apparently suffered from nightmares each night. Reed was the only one who knew how she was like, who understood. She offended stayed with Reed, his place had the feeling of a safe, peaceful home. 

        She pulled herself away from the warmth of the covers with the black and red striped pattern printed on them. She walked across the door into the hall. Immeditely she heard Reeds soft, polite voice. He appeared to be on the phone with someone. Most likely speaking to Nina, the beautiful blonde who gets whatever and whoever she wants. Alice walked into the room, her green eyes tracing up to the plate of steaming food on the glass table over near the huge window that gave you a view of the city down below. Reed turned to Alice who had placed the phone in the receiver. 

"Good morning, Alice. Made you some food." Reed smiled as he spoke, his dirty blonde hair shining as the light from the window near him hit it. Alice leaned against the wall playing with the bow on her nightgown. "Nina?" She simply said bitterly. Reed's smile quickly disappeared from his face, "She is coming over to pick up a book. Don't get into a fight. I can't afford to have another broken chair, Alice." He warned her eyeing from across the room. How come her name seem to sound special every time he said it? Alice walked over to the glass table, Reed pulled the chair out for her like the gentlemen he was. She starred down at the plate of food. Figured, knowing Reed. Eggs with a few slices of bacon and small pancakes with not to much syrup. Breakfast food, no pop-tarts or greasy food. One word could explain Reed, health fanatic. Reed slide his hands into his pockets of his jeans his black hoodie hung unzipped on him over his tight grey shirt. He was staring at the clock when Alice stared at him. She frowned as she began to pick at the hot bacon down on her plate. "Psh, So Nina is coming over soon?" Alice slide a piece of hot bacon in her mouth not bothering to look and read his expression. It was obvious but she couldn't stand the silence between them. She never could, expressially with him. She would always play cd's of soft melody's before she tried to sleep drowning out the silence and her thoughts. They didn't work in the sleeping department. Nor did the sleeping pills, or fancy water bed. Those ended up getting flushed straight down the toilet, the other a nice little flood at 3 a.m. Reed sat down beside Alice and placed his head in his hand. He nodded, " Yes, she is." "What book?" Alice glanced searching for some kind of book near her. "Health for the Dumb Blondes Blank Mind by I Can't  Do Anything Right?" Alice smiled as Reed's lips curved into a small smirk. "No, Alice. Funny though, it's Sunset Nights, a mystery book by Micheal Zocuff." "How very un-interesting." "You know your going to have to burn it. Nina will spill her dumbness all over it." Reed rolled his eyes, Standing as the door bell rung through the house. "Be nice!" 

         Reed lived in a pretty big apartment, very spaced out with a amazing view. Alice really loved it here. Reed's parents were over sea's and if you haven't guessed he's a rich boy. Alice let a sigh escape her lips as she nodded pushing her thoughts from her head. She on the other hand didn't have the greatest home. Her step-dad was a crazy work-o-holic and clean-o-holic while her mother was a even bigger work-o-holic. Perfect for each other right? Her younger sister was a spoiled brat and Alice hated them all. Not hate, hate just mild hate. The kind that is in the middle of burning everyone to the ground and just going to a therapist. 

        Alice stained her ears to hear the door open and greetings were made. Alice stepped from her chair to the kitchen, she heard footsteps come close, she turned her head to take a peek at Nina or Reed or both as she reached for a glass. Nina came into view beside poor Reed clinging to his arm like some fangirl. She had her hair up in a barette loosely, wearing a tight pink shirt and even tighter jeans. Nina's expression changed dramatically lying her light blue eyes on Alice. 

"I see you have the homeless bunny over, Reed. How predictable." Nina scowled looking Alice up and down. "Past noon and still in a faded out nightgown, ew." "Sho-" Reed raised his hand cutting off Alice giving her a stop now before it gets ugly look. "Nina, please make yourself at home. I'll be right back." Reed left the room his eyes fixed tightly on Alice with a concerned look. Alice rolled her eyes as she pulled a carton of orange juice from the fridge. "Why are you always over here?" Nina's tone was full of annoyance. Alice smiled knowing how to bug Nina with the littlest effort. Not having to raise a finger came to her advantage. "Why should I tell you, Nina?"  The words slide from Alice's mouth so smoothly. Nina eyed Alice and spoke softly, "Curiosity." 

"Nah, I don't think I will tell a airhead like you. You wouldn't get it, to slow." Nina glared at Alice who simply took a sip of her orange juice, not caring her glare pierced though Alice. Alice was enjoying this, Nina walked forward and swung her hand out with force slapping Alice across the face. A shatter seem to ring in their ears forever as the orange liquid splattered and smeared all over the ground. Nothing but silence for a long time. The sting from the slap began to seep in.

        Reed walked in setting his eyes on the scene. His expression changed to a what people would think as started.  Alice stood backed up against the counter, her hand was clamped tight over her cheek which was a bright red. Then there was glass scattered on the tiled floor of the kitchen with a orange liquid smeared all over the black and white checkered tiles. Nina took a step away from it all her eyes staring at the ground then flickered to Alice then to Reed. "Oh..I am sorry, she just kept saying such horrible, horrible things over and over...I never knew she had a mouth like THAT, Reed." Lies lies and MORE lies, each one spoon fed so easily to Reed who was taking it all in. He sighed handing the book to Nina who was staring at him. "I'm sorry Nina, Don't worry about the mess. I will clean it up, enjoy the story."  He saw her out of course. Alice counted the steps with each passing second. Would he believe her? Does he believe the lies? Alice brought her gaze up to meet Reed's as he stared for a moment. His eyes were showing exhastion, not phyiscally but mentally. He pulled a rag from the stove kneeling down to the floor. 

"Reed, I'm sorry..Nina was lying. Honestly." She began to fiddle with the hem of her gown. Reed didn't speak a word for a few minutes. 235..236..237.. Alice counted the seconds in her head waiting for a answer. It didn't have to be a answer just anything really, "Alice, I know. Nina isn't the very nicest person to deal with but I told you to be nice, God..least I didn't have another smack down in the living room like last month..I guess I shouldn't of let her come in." Reed muttered quietly letting a sigh of relief escape his tense lips, he stood himself up from the ground. Alice opened her mouth to say something before he turned to go. She reached her hand out for him taking a step forward away from the counter when a pain slithered from her foot through her body She stumbled falling forward quickly as she winced out in pain. Reed noticed quickly his blue eyes went wide, He stepped forward throwing his arms to catch in his arms before she fell and hit the ground. He held her in his arm staring down at Alice who was staring back at him, the silence seem to carry on forever, "I am sorry, Reed." Her voice was weak as she whispered loud enough for just him to hear. Reed ignored her apology, "You stepped on glass.." He sighed softly closing his tired eyes. "First your cheek and now your foot. I really suck at protecting you, huh?" Alice bit her lip trying to smile through the pain pulsing in her foot. "You get a E for effort." Reed simply smirked down at Alice in his arms. 

End of Chapter One.

© 2008 FrikinFrancesca


Author's Note

FrikinFrancesca
Comment please?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

it was an interesting read, and i can't wait for the next chapters to come. okay, first off, i was a bit confused with some of the words you used, like "offended" i think you meant often stayed? anyway, looking past those, i loved the story, and can't wait for more!:)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Chibi! That was awesome! Kinda funny too. As da person before me said, 1 small mistake in the text I found:
...durn I lost it... ._.;

Posted 15 Years Ago


Sugoi ^^ It was great

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

384 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 13, 2008
Last Updated on November 14, 2008
Previous Versions