The Alley

The Alley

A Story by Chicagolights
"

A short story about a man full of regrets and repressed feelings from his past.

"

     It really was like any ordinary, brisk, November evening in the city-when David Blake decided to go for his nightly saunter.  He put on a pair of old, worn out jeans, brown construction boots, and his favorite black pull-over hoodie and headed out for the night.  

   Only 2 years ago, he had decided to make a major change in his life; and so, he put his fast paced, lucrative job as a nightclub bartender in the rearview mirror and pursued a career in the thank-less field of community organizing. Pouring drinks and engaging in nightly, shallow conversations just wasn't challenging anymore, and David had grown tired of feeling alone in a room full of people.  He had always wanted to make a difference and in some way and experience that sort of meaning in life which so few people are able to find.  His life was different now: less stressful an much less exciting....content.   

   The leaves rustled up and blew gently, from the now nearly baron trees, as he stood outside of his apartment building.  It was the kind of quiet, still night which only comes around a hand full of times in one's life and isn't easily replicated. The sort of evening where one feels completely apart of every living thing....but not really.

About 2 blocks into his walk, he approached a familiar alley which he had passed a thousand times before. However; on this evening, something was quite different. He wasn't sure what it was, but this lifeless, city alley called out to him in a strange way. David stood at the top of the narrow, typical alley and waited. It was cold out, but in this place, the wind picked up steam, and blew softly and warmly over his olive skin in the form of a subtle grey mist. Almost as if he were in a magical zone, he stood there, and listened for the ally's breeze to send its strange message.

   He closed his eyes, and a large, silver movie screen appeared in his mind's eye. David was allowing himself to go back in time...to remember her. He could see her come into focus in his mind. And for an instant, David truly believed he had traveled back in time. It had been 2 years earlier, and his first date with her began to move across the screen. She was breathtakingly attractive, with long black hair, soft skin, and dark, almond shaped eyes. She was the most beautiful woman David had ever known. In fact, if he were talented enough to draw a picture of his idea of a perfect woman, he would have sketched her. It was there first kiss, as he watched the screen. He remembered thinking, “I’m the luckiest guy in the world right now. It doesn't get any better than this!" He had fallen in love with her long before their lips ever touched. More than infatuation, it was the kind of love in which only comes once in a lifetime...if you're lucky! 

  He could experience his deeply supressed, once ignored feelings, as he watched that first date with her on the screen in his mind. David cared for her in such a complete and deep manner of which he could never really describe.  She was smart, artistic, young and beautiful...and most of all... she was David's.  The screen flickered and flashed toward another scene from his relationship. This time, it was the day she said goodbye. David had taken her for granted. He had put so much time into earning money and moving forward with his own life plans, he had forgotten the gift in which he had been bestowed and ignored the one thing in his life that what good, and made him happy.  She was such a simple gal, all she ever wanted was his love and attention. He had foolishly neglected her for so long; she had no other choice but to leave. He watched himself stand there as she gathered her belongings. Her beautiful eyes swelled with tears.  "SAY SOMETHING, TELL HER NOT TO LEAVE", he shouted at the screen. But, as he vividly watched the movie in his mind, he said nothing. She was gone, and life would never be the same.

    David opened his eyes, and the warm wind had stopped blowing through the alley. He had spent years trying to force any memories of her; and their relationship out of his mind. Thinking of her was so painful, too much to take. But on this evening, while standing alone in front of the alley, for the first time, he allowed himself to cry. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2009 Chicagolights


Author's Note

Chicagolights
Ignore grammar. It's the first time I've written anything in months.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on November 24, 2008
Last Updated on March 16, 2009

Author

Chicagolights
Chicagolights

Chicago, IL



About
I hail from Chicago, the windy city. I enjoy creativity, art, reading, writing and hearing the true life stories of others. Currently, I'm a social worker, completing my grad program in the field of.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Chicagolights