Who's Damn Flag is it Anyway???

Who's Damn Flag is it Anyway???

A Poem by T. L. O'Neal

Who’s Damn Flag is it, Anyway???

Written by T. L. O’Neal

 

You sent me hate mail

Over something I said

About seeing a flag

That’s blue, white and red

 

You call me names

And talk about the dead

You never did a damn thing

But b***h over what you read

 

I asked if you ever

Tried to make a change

You just ranted on

Like you were deranged

 

I talked about the soldiers

And how they all died

All you ever said

Was that I should fry

 

You cursed me for caring

For these poor lost souls

They died for your sorry a*s

And countless ones untold

 

It’s your right to say…

Even if it has little appeal

It’s America, you can say

Whatever you think and feel

 

But if all you do is rant and b***h

And never try to make a change

All you’re doing is screwing yourself

And losing out in the exchange

 

You never did a damn thing

So what it all boils down to is this…

If you don’t try to make a change

Ignorance isn’t necessarily bliss

 

I don’t like the way things are

But I know this much is true

I love that flag more than ever

With the red, white and blue

 

© 2008 T. L. O'Neal


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

-salute- May our flag fly high and show that we are free! I liked this poem... my father fought in Vietnam and I have several friends over seas protecting the rights of freedom. I hope every true American reads this and feels proud to be an American... regardless of what we feel about the war or about our government. America is a land of people who share one trait: we are free. And I'm damn proud to be an American!

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i really appreciate your honesty in this ..we all have loved ones that have or are serving in the Military..we need to lift them up and be thankful for them because they are making a sacrifice that most never even realize..and sometimes the supreme sacrifice.....

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this, its honest. Not some drummed up crap to make you seem like you care. But honest to all feelings about your country and other human beings. I think this country needs more people who truly care about what matter, and a whole lot less of people who say things because it sounded good at the time or went along with a movement. Anyway enough ramble good for you. ~Bee

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

LOL nice, I love this piece. So much anger to the "email" and justification towards our flag, hm maybe that wasn't quite the word, oh well anyways, this piece is awesome.

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Terry, to borrow a line from talk radio, " You're a great American!" Seriously bro, this is pure love of flag and country. A very concise and to the point response to your hate mailer. It was said below, but worth repeating. We can't change certain things in this world...there will always be hatred of some type... all we can do is allow them their 15 minutes...thats usually what people like this are after anyway...a moment in the spotlight, a little noteriety....they can't get that by sitting on their lazy asses watching American Infidel...so they stir up the shitpot...I'm with ya Terry...cut this flesh and I bleed red white and blue.... ( though the blue is more of a Kentucky Wildcat blue than the starfield blue of the flag ) =o)

great write Terry!


Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Brother, hatred will forever rage in this country and this world. We cannot change that, nor can we force education or enlightenment upon the ingnorant, and most certainly not upon the stupid. Your work is as righteous as their rights to b***h. However, I prefer critique with content to rant and deranged rave... yet oddly enough, those who "rage against the machine" most often lack intelligible, intelligent, coherent, concrete thoughts. They might help raise righteous quesitons and issues, if only they could contain their rage and find the words. For me, I find your words to be fine... and to touch the hearts of soldiers and patriots everywhere. we don't always love what we are asked to do, but we do it in the hopes of creating a better tomorrow. Why else would anyone do anything? Rock on my brother!

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You are damned straight!! I have lost friends and relatives over the fight for freedom, and I cherrish what they gave - for it is MY loss too. If it were me to die for this Country, I would give what I had to, and then some. God Bless the U.S.A. and all those Brave Men and Women who stand on the line guarding freedom - I owe each of you a debt I can NEVER repay.

As for the poem. I was never much for profanity, but your words are that of a true Patriot. I think that the power of this Country pours through your heart. GREAT poem

PS- I Think anyone who burns the American Flag should use a lot of gasoline, but wrap it tightly around themselves first fiercely before igniting it. (LoL - No I do not really believe in Flag burning!!)


Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

The best defense is a good offense. Your offense is your words, and you use them in the same way a soldier uses his or her courage on the battlefield. You kept your cool and produced an excellent piece. That is what's truly worthy here, not what was said to you but how you responded. Lesser people would've shirked away, but you stood up and responded. Great job!

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Damn straight! Couldn't have said it better myself!
As the last comment states they simply have no heart!
I'm lovin' the comeback!

Typo:
Ignorance isn�t necessary bliss
*Ignorance isn't necessarily bliss

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Nice response to the hate mail. You definitely still have my support. Many good points made in this one. Just ignore them man, they're really just a waste of time and they obviously have no heart and no respect.

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

"Apparently more than you" might've ended it nicely as well. But then, that's just me. Sorry to hear about that ordeal which lead to this, however I like how you've chosen to deal with it. I'll give less comment than inclined, because this is already filled with aggression, and rightly so.

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

709 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 16, 2008

Author

T. L. O'Neal
T. L. O'Neal

In the sticks, NC



About
I started writing as a way to work out my feelings and found that I enjoyed it very much. I enjoy humor and feel that you can find it in most things, even though it may be hard to find at the moment. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..