Jumping In The Pool With Zeal

Jumping In The Pool With Zeal

A Poem by Chris Taylor
"

A poem about getting our zeal for life back

"

Jumping In The Pool With Zeal

by Chris T.

Many children pack the city pool like scurrying ants in a colony.

Each child with an expression of joy, of glee.

Some dive head first, some cannonball,

But all get wet and tread water with zeal.

I can see a cautious little one gather up courage.

Her tiny toes inch closer to the edge of the water.

A deep breath and an encouraging word from mom

Brings the eyes to focus with a sparkle of fun in their corners.

Not everyone came with the same agenda.

Susan came to wade in the jungle pool,

And Matthew wants to shoot the tube.

Marcus bobs in the wave pool

While Olivia drifts in the lazy river

Not one child can hear their parents, or maybe want to, at the pool.

None will worry about chores, little brothers or school

Every kid will smile and every one will squeal,

And the level of bedlam is now related to show of their zeal.

© 2012 Chris Taylor


Author's Note

Chris Taylor
Boy, nothing got me more elated as a child than the coming of summer and that delicious three-month break from school. Obviously, summer brings the axe on all those school deadlines and strictures; but most of all, the thing that whet my appetite for summer was: The City Pool. The pool was a place that a kid could cut loose. A spot where a kid can push some boundaries and let go of those inhibitions. I could remember saying to myself: “Is this the year that I dive straight into the deep end? Will I finally be able to hold my breath for one minute underwater? Will all my buddies from school be there?”

When we get older, we eventually start to fall in line. We will keep to our schedule and try not to rustle any feathers, yours or anyone elses. Most people lose their zeal for the chaos of the pool when they start college. Why? Where did it go? How did we lose this?

This year I really enjoyed watching my little guy at his swimming lessons. All of the children in his group really looked forward to the daily teaching. Some kids were scared to go to the deep end. Others, were afraid to jump straight in. A few felt skittish about holding their breath underwater; but ALL had smiles and enjoyed every minute of the time in the pool.

A good amount of us people lost sight of what God’s overall plan is for us. We let the business of our over-complicated lives rule us. When we do, it robs us of the joy and zeal for life that the Father intended for each one of us. Don’t let this happen anymore. Slow your lives down. Find ways to make the little things you do, count for much in the lives of others and your families; and take back the zeal for living, that Jesus had, Paul had and David as well. Will you have hard times? Sure, but how we react to them, how our attitude is during them, can be chosen every morning. Remember the days of your youth and, the next time you are by a pool, beat your kids into the water; by balling up and hitting that pool with the most magnificent cannonball ever done. Your twinkle will come back and God will be magnified in your actions.

Here is a bible verse to get you on the right track. Romans 12:11 “Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.”

Please look to God to revive your zeal, if you have lost it. Why not take the plunge again into life.

Feel free to comment, subscribe, repost and most of all, tell others what you have read here today.

The Great Plains Poet, acceptor of God’s rich zeal and fully living in His grace and Joy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This brought me back to childhood, I also liked seeing your parental perspective. I am not there in my life yet and you gave me a very clear window into the feelings and observations of a parent. This piece is vivid and tangible. A very excellent write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love how children are so easily distracted from any problem they may be enduring because as we grow up it becomes harder to distract ourselves so a child playing in the pool is ecstatic and joyful and all they are concentrating on is the fun they are having but as adults we play in the pool and we smile but only to disguise the inability to push dark thoughts from our minds

Posted 11 Years Ago


Chris Taylor

11 Years Ago

That is very correct sir. We adults get so wrapped up in our problems that we have a difficult time .. read more
A delightful read. You perfectly capture the feeling of glee at going swimming. It is such a total joy for kids. We still love swimming when we plough up and down doing lengths like caged tigers pacing cages, but nothing matches that innocence of childish glee. I don't think we can ever replicate it as adults, but we can make sure that our kids can enjoy it to the full.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This brought me back to childhood, I also liked seeing your parental perspective. I am not there in my life yet and you gave me a very clear window into the feelings and observations of a parent. This piece is vivid and tangible. A very excellent write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great poem....sometimes we forget zeal in our life's thanks for reminding us :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Best days of life are free time and water. I like the poem. To hold on to the joy and happiness of a child. Leave us to celebrate being alive. Thank you for the positive poem this morning.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

514 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 14, 2012
Last Updated on August 14, 2012
Tags: : cannonball, Children, Christianity, City Pool, God, Jesus, Joy, Jumping in the pool, poetry, prose, Romans 12:11, summer, The Great Plains, Zeal

Author

Chris Taylor
Chris Taylor

Sioux Falls, SD



About
I am a writer, poet, musician of 30 years, husband, father and follower of the Most High God. I try to let my writing point the way back to a relationship with Jesus. When I am not writing I am probab.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..