The Prince and the Frog

The Prince and the Frog

A Story by Chris Kay
"

Satirical twist on Princess and the Frog, change the protagonist from a female to a male. Same lesson, very different means of showing it.

"

Once upon a time, in a kingdom far far away, there lived a prince.


His father, the king, was very rich and powerful. On his son's eighteenth birthday he presented him with the most excellent sword in the kingdom. It's blade was made from the finest steel the country had to offer and the hilt was made from solid gold.


"Son, you are now an adult. For now I give you this sword. But soon, once you find a beautiful maiden to marriage, I shall give you my throne."


The prince was determined to make his father proud. He practiced day and night with his new sword, so he could impress all the maidens of the land.


One evening, at sunset, the prince was practicing on a bridge. One thing lead to another and he accidently flung his sword into the stream below. He got as close as he could, but then fell to his knees, knowing all hope was lost. His sword was gone forever.


"Whatever have I done to deserve such a fate, oh mighty Lord!" he shouted in anger.


That's when a small female frog approached him and asked, "what seems to be the matter, oh great Prince."


"I lost my sword in the stream," he took a deep breath, "it is forever lost."


"No it isn't, my lord. I can get it for you," the frog said, "but only on one condition. You must make me a promise. When I retrieve your sword, you are to allow me into your house. You will let me eat from your plate and sleep in your bed. Eventually, we shall be lovers and only upon death do us part."


The prince almost laughed at the frogs demands. He was going to be the most powerful man in all of the kingdom. Why would he love a frog? The prince had no intention of sharing his food or bed with this filthy creature, either.


But he made the deal anyway. Because he knew this frog wouldn't be able to reach his palace.


The frog did her part. She jumped into the stream and swam back with the sword in between her teeth.


The prince was very pleased. He was so happy he raised the sword and kissed his own reflection.


He did not thank the frog, though. He quickly departed, leaving the poor frog alone.


That night, the king and his son had a mighty feast prepared. The prince was about to sink his teeth into a mouth-watering steak when he was interrupted by three loud knocks at the door. He then heard the voice of the frog:

 

"Let me in, my love, for you have promised me your heart, your food, and your bed."


"Who is that at the door, my son?" asked the king.


"A mere toad. I promised her that I'd let her eat from my plate and sleep in my bed if she retrieved my golden sword from the stream. I only did it because I thought frogs couldn't make their way to our palace."


"Son, you will honor thy word. Let her in."


The prince had never felt so embarrassed in his life. He was to have any lady he wanted in the kingdom. Not some frog.


But he did as his father commanded. He let the frog in.


"Would you be kind enough to place me on the table so I can eat from your plate," she asked, "I haven't ate in days."


The prince was enraged. He picked the frog up and put her on the table without saying a word. She ate a few pieces of steak and then asked, "if it's not too much of a problem, could you please bring me to your chambers." Once again, without saying a word, the prince complied.


The frog slept for only a few hours and then left the prince to sleep in peace. He was happy that she was finally gone and believed she would never come again.


But the next evening, during supper, he was interrupted as he was about to eat a delicious pork chop by three loud knocks. And once again the frog said:


"Let me in, my love, for you have promised me your heart, the food on your plate, and your bed."


The prince opened the door. Once again she ate from his plate and once again he took her to his bed. After several hours, the frog left the castle. In the dead silence of the night, the prince could not sleep. His eyes were wide open and he spent the entire night fantasizing about the frogs demise.


The next evening the prince went into the grand kitchen. He emerged with a huge plate of lamb and a wicked smile. Three loud knocks sounded and the frog said:


"Let me in, my love, for you have promised me your heart, the food on your plate, and your bed."

The prince let the frog in and placed he on the table while giggling to himself. The frog ate the meal and then he took her to his quarters. But he did not leave her alone. He sat on the bed, watching her.


"Is there something the matter, my prince?" she asked.


"No, my dear. For the first time in three days, nothing is wrong."


The frog began to grow suspicious of the prince's mad smile. That's when she finally began to understand as she slowly felt the life slipping from her.


"I am sorry, dear, but I poisoned your food. I am royalty. I can't be married to a frog."


"But prince..." the frog said as she died.


The prince then walked out of his room to inform his servant that there was a dead frog in his room that needed to be removed. When the prince and the servant walked in they were to see something that would change their lives.


A dead girl was lying on his bed.


And it was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen.


"What?" the prince shouted, "impossible, she was a frog! she was a frog!"


The prince fell down to his knees and cried:


"Lord, what have I done to deserve such a fate?"


*** The End ***

 

 

© 2014 Chris Kay


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm sorry but I have read or heard a version of this before.
You could figure out what was coming.
You need to hid it a little better

Posted 9 Years Ago


This certainly is differet. The prince deserved what he got, but the frog didn't deserve her fate. I only wish it had ended more happily. I like happy endings. But of course that would have just been a cliche in this case.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 1, 2014
Last Updated on October 1, 2014

Author

Chris Kay
Chris Kay

Montreal, Canada



About
While I don't have much skill, I see myself as creative. I'm actively writing, trying to get better at it, and I thought: hey, why not Google search a place where I can post all that crap. So th.. more..

Writing
We Fade We Fade

A Story by Chris Kay