Disco Moon

Disco Moon

A Story by Chris M. Monks

Maren stood off to the side of the dance floor watching the bridal party follow the dance instructions to the 'Cha Cha Slide'. She was never the type to dance to such silly songs. A slower paced love ballad was more in step with her style. Hand to hand with her husband was what she desired and was patiently waiting for.

"Here's your drink."

"Thanks, honey."

Maren's husband turned to gaze on the dance floor for a moment as he sipped his drink. As the floor and walls sparkled from the disco lights he said,

"This has to be the worst party song ever."

"Oh, it definitely is! No doubt", Maren replied. "I've never understood the love for it."

"I've never understood the math of it."

She gave him a quizzical look. "Math of it? What do you mean?"

"I mean, why say 'One stomp now. One stomp now'? If you want them to stomp twice, just say 'Two stomps now.'"

Maren grinned. She'd always loved his stupid humor. She "got" it when others failed to.

"By the way," she said, changing the subject, "While you were getting the drinks I discovered how Dylan an Amy met. They were camp kids. Met each other one summer a few years ago."

Her husband sighed. "Camp? Wow! I haven't thought about camp in years. That's thousands of memories and hundreds of miles from this side of Michigan. That seriously makes me feel old. And they're how young? Twenty-three?"

"Tell me about it! I don't even remember much about the one summer I went to camp other than I had one friend I swore would be my best friend for life. Never stayed in contact. What about you? Stay in contact with anyone you met at camp?"

He thought a moment. A quick reminisce. "Nope. No one. I did have a girlfriend one week of camp. I was probably fourteen or fifteen at the time. When camp ended we never saw each other again. Neither one of us were old enough to drive. She lived an hour or so away. Pre-cell phones, if you recall. I don't even remember her name."

Maren swirled the ice in here cup. "One more drink before this stupid song is over?"

"Yes. Please."

*********************************************************************************

Same Night

Joseph swallowed the last bit of his drink and set the glass back down on the table. "Thanks for meeting and talking with me tonight."

"Any time," she replied. "Sometimes it feels good to reminisce."

He nodded his head in agreement. "What have you got planned for the rest of the evening?"

She gave him an "are you kidding me" look. "My life's boring, Joseph. I'm probably just going to feed the cat and kick back in the bed and read."

"Sometimes it's good to reminisce. Sometimes it's good to escape into a good book," he said.

She smiled. "You should write that down."

Joseph contemplated a moment. "I think I will," he replied before chuckling.

They walked out of the restaurant together. As they said their goodbyes and were about to go their separate ways Joseph said out the clear blue, "Wait! Let's go swimming!"

She turned around and laughed. "Are you crazy? It's getting late."

"I know that sounded pretty random but it would do us good to live a little. It'd be fun! When's the last time you went night swimming?" 

"Geez, Joseph. You're asking me to think back pretty far." She sighed. I guess it would have to be a summer back at camp twenty to twenty-one years ago."

"Really? You were a camp kid?" Joseph said quizzically. 

"You seem surprised. I loved that type of thing back then."

"I am surprised. What else don't I know about you?" he asked laughing.

"Stop! Those were some great times. I met some great people."

Joseph said, "Come on! Really? Still talk to any of them?"

"Actually, no," she answered. "But I remember one week of camp I became close friends with two boys that let me tag along to every event with them. By the end of that week one of them was basically my boyfriend. Just a camp thing."

"What happened after that week?" Joseph asked, interested now.

"It was never going to last. I was fourteen or fifteen. Neither one of us could drive. We lived a bit too far from each other. I don't even remember his name."

"Hmm. Meet at the lake?" Joseph asked bringing her out of her moment of reminisce.

"Sure, yeah." She opened the door to her car and climbed in. As she closed the door she caught a glimpse of the moon. It was going to look great sparkling like a disco ball among the stars over that Indiana lake, she thought.

© 2015 Chris M. Monks


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on June 20, 2015
Last Updated on June 20, 2015
Tags: summer, Indiana, Michigan, camp, camping

Author

Chris M. Monks
Chris M. Monks

New york, NY



About
Massive Testo What is the estimation of this supplement one needs to eat up in one day? One compartment of Massive Testo contains 60 cases and as appeared by the check, one needs to gobble up two pil.. more..

Writing