The Switch Up

The Switch Up

A Story by Chris Parker
"

The Story Of Eric and Christina

"

The Switch Up

Includes a special surprise ending.

 
 
Eric
        Christina wasn’t perfect and she made sure everyone knew it! She had medium length hair pulled back at the nape of her neck, boys jeans, a sea green top, and sneakers her all time favorite shoe. I was reminded of her appearance as I stepped into her room and dropped my bags on the floor.
            I looked around her room “It looks pretty perfect to me.” I grumbled. Her books were stacked on a table along with her bird McSpuakers, Her shoes were either lined up in a row or in the shoe cubbie. Her bed was on the opposite wall it looked soft and comforting but when I sat down it was hard and uninviting, at the foot of her bed was her dresser, I resisted the urge to go over and sneak a peek at what was in her sock drawer. Next to her bed was her bedside table on top was a little book with the words Diary printed on the front. I opened it to the only page with writing on it. It was apparently new.
Dear Diary,
Eric is the best boyfriend
in the world and I thank
God I have him! He is
also a great kisser although
I think he doesn’t listen
Sometimes. All well! Got to
run write later. Christina
The entry didn’t interest me so I went over to sneak a peek at what was in her vanity drawer. All that was inside was like 17 bottles of lip gloss, 3 tubes of lipstick, and some white square things. Christina’s mom interrupted my search. I shut the drawer and went to see what she wanted.
Christina
            I stepped into Eric’s room, well more like fell into Eric’s room. “ I can’t believe I agreed to stay here all weekend! Its a mess!” I sighed as I thought of the “Get to know your boyfriend/girlfriend” group Eric and I had decided to join. It had gotten me into this mess. I looked around the room, it was defiantly his. Everything was messy just like his curly light brown hair, and goofy skater clothes. I placed my bag on his bed, it sank. I now knew his bed wasn’t firm like mine. I looked around, he had at least picked up the clothes on the floor.
            I started to pick up all the junk on his floor. I picked up one of his skateboards only to find a picture of me and him from the first time we dated with my head in a heart. “Oh how sweet!” I found a tack and pinned the picture on the wall above his bed. Then continued my cleaning.
Eric
            As it turns out I had to do chores which included dishes, washing the table, counters, stove, sweep, make coffee, and feed her three cats. I was tired and all I felt like doing was sleeping but I still hadn’t done homework or eaten, and the bad part is I had to cook. Luckily Christina was kind enough to leave me a book of recipes. At about 6:30 I had set the table and gotten dinner on it. After I cleared away the dishes, washed them, done homework, bathed, and taken the trash out, I was exhausted and immediately crawled into bed. It was 8:30.
Christina
            We had a fairly nice dinner and I was able to relax after I took the trash out and gotten in the shower. I braided my damp hair, finished up Eric’s room, played a game of Monopoly Golf Edition with Eric’s sister Courtney and her boyfriend Steven, then went back to Eric’s room to watch my favorite movie. I crashed at 10:30.
Eric
            I woke up and forgot where I was. I walked over to the dresser to grab a pair of boxers only to find an almost purple pair of panties and a matching bra. “ I’m gonna kill Courtney!” It wasn’t until I noticed the pink walls and black and white spring dress hanging on the door, then I remembered. This is Christina’s room I’m in her house. I found my bag, got dressed, then went to eat breakfast.
Christina
            I woke up with a sore back. A reminder of what I had gotten myself into. I changed, brushed my hair, put on what little make-up I own, thanked God it was Thursday, then headed to wait for the bus.
            I was glad my friend Jessie rode Eric’s bus because the only time I had ridden a bus was on school trips. It was loud and disgusting. I got there before Eric knowing my family he would probably be late. I went to my locker, said hi to Mr. Ellis my math and science teacher, then went to talk to Katie and Nicole.
Eric
            We got to school late because of Sarah, Christina’s little sister. She couldn’t figure out what to wear how to fix her hair. I rushed to my locker ( Of course I couldn’t get it open!), then rushed into my Homeroom only to hear Mr. Ellis giving us the answer to our locker problems. I looked around for Chandler.“ Crap he’s not here. Now I have to work on our project alone!Is there a problem Mr. Hays?
No sir.” I answered and began scribbling Lesson 9-4 Circumference of a circle on my paper.
Christina
            I stared at the clock slowly ticking away time. I wasn’t waiting for the clock to strike 10:10. I had health and I had hated going ever since me and my bff got into a huge argument just because I stood up for one of my good friends Clarence when they were talking about her behind her back. The bell rang. I rolled my eyes and groaned as I remembered the horrible glare Kim had given me yesterday when I walked by. I shook my head trying to shake the image away. “Are you coming or not?" Haley asked.
"Oh yeah health.” I answered as convincingly as I could.
            I was walking with my head low and a frown on my face. I must have looked pretty pathetic because all of a sudden I felt an arm slip around my shoulder. It was Eric. “ What’s wrong?” He asked pulling me into a one armed hug. “Nothing." "You just lied to me!” I couldn’t help but laugh. I had always been a wonderful liar, its like he just knows when I lie.“I’m worried about what Kim will say to me."
"Don’t worry she can’t hurt you your tough.” I gave him the best smile I could muster then turned into Mrs. Denim’s health class.
            I had to beat Kimberly to class. I gave a shy smile then went to sit next to Emily. I was deep in conversation with Jenny when Haley looked over at me “ Kim alert.” I thanked her then went on with Jenny. I was able to avoid her glare until the end of class when I made a mistake and looked over at her. She was wearing a black and white baby doll top with jeans and skater shoes like Eric wore. When the bell rang I jumped up and headed out the door without waiting for Jenny or Haley.
Eric
            After a brutal basketball game I was tired and ready to go home. I sauntered back to my class only to find Christina with head bowed so you couldn’t see her face. I was watching her from the door way and that’s were I saw the first tear fall. I started to walk her way, she had apparently heard me coming because she picked up the tissue on her desk, wiped her eyes, and put on a smile faker than pants that could hang themselves. I lowered my voice to a whisper and said.“ Don’t give me that I know you’ve been crying." "I guess there’s no point in arguing with you.” She sniffed.“ Nope. Now what happened?"I just can’t...""Eric Hays go to your next class!” Christina nodded for me to go. I went off still wondering what was going on in her mind.
Christina
            At lunch I did my best to stay away from Eric, I didn’t feel like telling him my problems. I was successful. I went back to my class only to remember I had my last class with Eric. I listened to the science lesson closely, not wanting to look at the clock. The bell rang. I flinched knowing Eric would be waiting to walk me to Computer Skills.
Eric
            As I waited for Christina I wondered what I had done wrong, she had ignored me all through Lunch. Lunch was the only time we got to spend together besides when my family and hers ate breakfast at the Blessed Sunday mornings. “There you are!” I exclaimed enthusiastically. “Hey.” She answered in a flat tone. We walked to Computer Skills with only the noise of other people
            We walked in and took our seats across from each other. I tried to pay attention to the Computer Skills Jeopardy game but I was more focused on Christina then how to type a neat paragraph. My team lost. Christina was in what I call her “moods from hell” when we got outside to wait for our cars. I left her alone and waited for her dad to pick me up. Christina was still at school when I left. I gave her a small hug then left.
Christina
            I had no idea how late Eric’s parents picked him up, so I stood there clueless of my surroundings until finally the shiny black truck pulled up in the school car line. Thank gawd it was Eric’s mom. I climbed in the back speechless, listening as Courtney went on about her day.
            When we arrived I announced I would be doing homework in Eric’s room, no one seemed to care. I walked in not tripping on anything except my heart. I locked the door, then through myself on the bed and began to cry. I just couldn’t grasp the fact that Kim was mad at me and it was tearing me apart. I wanted to call Lindsay my other bff, but she had moved to Kentucky and I wasn’t supposed to call her until the 25th. It was the 2nd. After an hour of tears I dried my eyes, fixed my make-up, and went to join my make-shift family for dinner.
Eric
            Dinner that night had been a roast that simmered in the crockpot for eight hours. It was good but for most of it I was to focused on Christina to tell what I was eating. “So Eric what happened at school today?” Mrs. Park interrupted my thoughts once again. “Nothing much.” I answered not wanting to revile that their eldest daughter had been caught crying by her 5 month old boyfriend. “Any news on how Christina is coping?" "She said she was doing fine.” I answered then asked to be excused. I walked down the hall and into Christina’s room. I wanted to call her but it was against the rules. “Stupid know your girlfriend s**t!” I mumbled. It was then I remember that there was a meeting Monday night. The night of the switch back.
Christina
            I did the nightly chores then went to shower, hoping all the bad thoughts running through my head would disappear. I still couldn’t believe all the things Kim had mentally done to me. I got out, dressed, and had dried my hair when Courtney asked if she could fix it. I think Courtney enjoyed having a little sister instead of a little brother. I let her pin my hair up as much as she wanted but when Steven came over she stopped. I didn’t care, my head hurt anyway although I couldn’t tell if it was from Courtney or all the tears I was trying to hold back. Either way I went to bed. It was only 7:30.
Eric
            I HAD to play with Sarah. She wines, complains, threatens, and beats up alot and all we did was ride bikes! “No wonder she doesn’t like you.” I mumbled to myself. I was sore and tired by the time I got inside. I decided to play with some of the webkinz Christina had on a shelve. I was getting real into the game when Abbie Christina’s seven year old neighbor Knocked the door. I was forced to play with her to, and I couldn’t believe it she was worse than Sarah! I absolutely hated her! She finally left at 10:00.
            By 10:30 I was tired but I still stayed up long enough to hear my phone go off. the LCD screen read Christina so I immediately answered.
“ Eric I just wanted you to know that I was crying the other day because... Wait. Yes Ma’am? OK. Eric gotta go bye.
Wait.” I screamed into the phone, but it was to late. I closed my phone and fell asleep.
             I woke up the next morning and hit my head on a shelf. I watched as a black and white box with what looked like a secret compartment toppled to the floor. I walked over and picked it up off the floor. “ What the...”
Christina
            I flopped down on Eric’s bed. I had to go play baseball in Eric’s place. Luckily it was just a practice. It was a team of boys from my school. I was wearing a Las Vegas T-shirt, jeans, and one of Eric’s baseball caps with my hair bunched tightly underneath. Apparently I couldn’t pass for a boy or Eric. Juan greeted me first then told me I was up to bat. I was left handed so when I stood on the “wrong side” of the base they all looked confused. “Maybe I’ll just sit on the bleachers and watch.” The guys where actually pretty good. the practice ended at 12:30. It was only an hour and afterwards Juan and I played on the playground. We left after Courtney’s 1:30 softball practice.
Eric
            I opened the box to find a bunch of notes with different guys names on them. The only thought running through my mind was “ Is she cheating on me?” I opened the note with Dustin’s name on it. Dustin had been the guy she had dated before and after me. It read
Dustin,
Cowardly and such
a worry Willie never
went for what he
wanted a really
bad boyfriend
didn’t last but for two
weeks all well
It made me happy to see Dustin trashed by the girl that dumped him. I was feeling confident so I opened the one labeled Eric 1.
Eric,
Best boyfriend in
the world! I’m am
idiot for breaking up
with him.
“What are you doing?! Your in Christina’s secret box!!
I am not!
I’m telling her!
You wouldn’t dare!
Bet on it!” I placed the note with my name on it in the box then ran after Sarah. Luckily her parents were at the neighbors.
When I finally caught her Christina had just answered.
“Hello?
Hey babe look I got to go I’m beating up your sister.
Have fun love ya! Bye.
Bye.” I hung up then went back to beating Sarah up.
Christina
            “Well that was weird.” I said hanging up the phone. I had been in Eric’s room for hours doodling and listening to music. I had managed to draw two crappie skaters holding hands that said Rolling On Home. I tore it out and placed it on his dresser. I then noticed a green bottle full of liquid, and smelled it. It was Eric’s cologne I dabbed a little on my wrist, it smelled wonderful so I dabbed a little on the other. Then Courtney called me.
“What?
You want to walk down to the park?”
I said yes and off we went. My friend Jordan and her boyfriend Zack where there so I went to hang out with them.
Eric
            I spent the day keeping the phone from Sarah and e-mailing Christina, who wouldn’t e-mail me back. Finally Sarah went to spend the night with her bff Morgan. I watched Deal or No Deal at 8:00 then went to play Sims 2 at 8:30. I had made my own family. Me, Christina, Skyler, Rocky, and Seattle. So far I had only had to restart once and my teenage daughter Skyler was pregnant. At about 8:50 Kim called! I had half a mind not to answer but I did.
“ Hello?
Hi Marshmallow!” Marshmallow was the name Kim and Christina made up so they could talk about me all the time and no one know what they were talking about. I hadn’t been called Marshmallow in months! I was starting to wonder what she wanted.
“What?
Is Christina around?
No.
Where is she?
My house.
Why?
Its to help her understand me and for me to understand her.
Oh. Well Ill call later. Bye Marshmallow.
Bye.” I hung up then checked my e-mail, one new from Christina!
Hey!
Sorry I didn’t e-mail you earlier
Courtney took me to the park we
just got back. Hey I g2g we are
fixin to eat. Bye!
 
Hi!
Its OK. I don’t care. How was the
park? Enjoy your meal we had
Mickey D’s. See you at the
restaurant tomorrow!
 
PS How was baseball practice?
 
Christina
            As I shut off the computer I heard Mr. Hays call us to dinner. Meatloaf, greenbeans, and rice. It was what we had the first time I ever went to Eric’s house. That night I was up until 12:30 when I finally crashed.
Eric
            I woke up to a cat clawing me in the head. “Good morning Miss. Kitty.” Miss. Kitty was Christina’s cat. I pulled on some sweat pants and went to sit with Mrs. Laurie. She was watching the Early Show. We sat quietly watching the stuck-up host talk about some new fashion frenzy in teenage girls. It was 9:00 when finally Mr. Jamie got up. We were dressed and ready to go eat by 9:15.
Christina
            I sat on the end of the table. I don’t eat breakfast. I just come because I like the atmosphere and the workers. I waited for Eric to walk in with my parents. Finally I saw the bright red Ford Edge pulled up. Trying to seem like it didn’t feel like hours since the Edge pulled up I stayed in my seat and when finally (Finally) the walked over to our table I gave Eric and one armed hug and when my dad wasn’t looking a kiss on the cheek. “Good morning!” I said cheerfully.
“Morning!” He looked tired and kinda sick.
“Feeling OK?” I asked alittle worried.
“Yeah fine.” He took a seat in-between me and his mother.
“Remember we have a meeting tonight at 8:00.” I answered taking a sip of milk.
“Wait I thought we had one tomorrow?
No that’s the switch back tonight’s the meeting.
Oh.” We ate in silence then left.
Eric
            I climbed into the back of the Edge thinking about how stupid I had sounded at breakfast. All well. She wouldn’t remember anyway she had a horrible memory.
“Eric your mighty quiet today. What’s wrong?” It was then I noticed I hadn’t said anything the entire ride home.
“Just a little homesick.” I lied. Mrs. Park gave me a pathetic look. I got out of the car and headed to Christina’s room and closed the door. I was going to pack and clean up alittle.
Christina
                At 6:00 I showered, fixed my hair, put on a tab bit more make-up than normal, pulled on a flowery blouse, and a long black skirt, with black, boots, and some orange jewelry. I was ready for the meeting. Since the meeting was at the old Girl Scout Hut at Erwin Park I could walk down. Courtney called Steven told him to meet her at the park then we headed out.
Eric
            I pulled out a wrinkled blue polo and some khaki dress pants at six so maybe the wrinkles would come out. I knew Christina would be all dressed up and pretty so I didn’t want it to look like she was in love with a slob. We finished eating around 7:30 and I had to rush to get ready. We arrived at the old Girl Scout Hut at quarter to eight.
            When I told Mr. Park what time to pick me up I walked inside. The meeting hadn’t started yet and everybody was up talking. I spotted Christina talking to a girl named Cassidy. I went over to Christina and Cassidy to day hello. They were talking about Patrick Dempsy. “Hello ladies.” Cassidy just looked away but Christina gave me a kiss and a one armed hug.
Christina
            “All right everyone its time to begin our meeting.” Mrs. Russell called. All the girls sat on one side the guys on the other. I sat beside Cassidy trying to remember what today’s lesson was. Teenage pregnancy and how it effects you. The lesson was boring and Cassidy and I spent half the time whispering. At about 8:45 Mrs.Russell stopped the lesson and the guys had to go around the room and compliment their girlfriend. “Christina you are more beautiful than Mother Nature in the summer time.” The compliment was stupid but it still put a smile on my face. At about 8:58 Mrs. Russell reminded us of the switch back and how we were supposed to meet back here at 6:00. I said good-bye to a;; my friends and went to find Courtney.
Eric
            “God I hate Mondays!” I groaned as I rolled off Christina’s bed. The day was like any other day you had to take a practice EOG. By the time I got home I was almost to tired to pull on anything better than holed clothes.
            I got to the hut about 5:55. The sound of an ambulance was giving me a headache. About 6:15 Christina still hadn’t showed. I stood up when I saw the red Edge pull up. Mrs. Park got out, tears streaked her face causing her mascara to run.
“W-what’s wrong?” I asked almost to shaken to get the words out. 
“Its Christina. Her and Courtney where hit by a truck on the way down here. Courtney’s OK just a broken arm and some minor knee surgery, but they think Christina’s gonna d-.” I waited for her to finish but when she never did I kinda figured out what was gonna happen.
            I sunk to the floor and began to cry. About five minutes later we were at the hospital. Courtney was in surgery so we went to see Christina first. She was laying in bed asleep. She had been tied to the bed. She didn’t look like her normal self, her hair had all been cut off reviling huge gashed and pieces of glass the doctors had either missed or hadn’t bothered to get out, her normal rosy skin tone was as white as a ghost, her perfect face covered n scratches, one leg hoisted in the air, both arms in cast, and on one side where the gown and sheet were no more was a huge set of tire tracks and what looked like third degree burn.
            I couldn’t resist the urge to run over and give her a hug. When I did she snapped awake. She tried to take a big breathe of air but the oxygon coming from her mouth and the oxygon feeder in her nose was to much to handle and she began to choke. When the fit died down, she finally spoke.
“Who’s there!” She sounded angry.
“its me Eric?” At first I didn’t realize it but when she turned her head her blue green eyes stared at nothing and looked glazed and glassy. She was blind!
            Right before I could ask her if anything else was wrong a doctor walked in. “It’s time for Christina’s heart transplant.” I was to shocked to say anything so I just back out of the room slowly, keeping my gaze fixed on the little bundle being carried away on a bed. We went to visit Courtney who was know next door to where Christina was. She had a pink cast on her knee and a black one on her arm. She was screaming at an invisible truck. The doctor said it was normal so we all agreed and went on with our lives.
Christina
            I lay in bed my sightless eyes staring at nothing, pain pierced my new heart and i started to squirm. Everything hurt and the only thing I could remember about my injures was a big green truck and mine and Courtney’s screams. It was terrifying and it kept replaying in my mind. The last thing I heard was the crunch of bones and muted screams. I wanted to sleep hoping it would put the horrible images out of my mind, but I stopped myself as I thought of the words the doctor told my mother when he thought I was asleep. “Your daughter will most likely die in her sleep.” Although dying sounded like paradise right now I knew it wasn’t my time. The door opened disturbing my thoughts. I thought it was my mom so I didn’t bother moving, it wasn’t until I felt small arms hugging me and heard the stupid words of Jeff Dunhams Achemede the Dead Terriost did I know it wasn’t my mother. It was Kimberly! I rolled my head toward her ignoring the pain in my neck. I heard a startled sigh jump from her mouth but I had no idea what had startled her. “Y-your going to die?” She choked out the words and began to cry. It reminded me of the day her dad died and how it would be harder on her than anyone else if I died.
            I opened my arms blindly and she slipped in and gave me a hug.
“L-look I made you a picture frame, it has our old fifth grade field trip bus picture in it.
Kimmy I’m blind.” I heard her drop the picture frame and the glass shatter all over the floor. I then felt her fingers going across my face seeing if my eyes would follow. She was seeing if I was lying! “Christina your not kidding.” She began to cry again. I felt her arms slip around me, and her tears soaking my gown. I whispered silent words of comfort then closed my eyes.
Kimberly
            As I whispered my sorry’s to Christina I felt her body go cold, the slight rise and fall of her stomach stopped completely. A buzzer was going off as I said my final good-byes about ten seconds later fifteen nurses where pushing me out of the room. Some of them had the little reviving machines others where checking for brain or heart activity. Although all of this was going on around me I heard and saw nothing for my entire world was crashing down around me.
Eric
            The words coming from my mom’s mouth seemed unreal as I was given the news of my girlfriends death. I was so stunned I began to laugh but when I saw the seriousness on her face I began to cry. I couldn’t stop and I felt like I did the day my Nana died. To stop myself from crying I called Kim to tell her.
“H-hello Eric, did you hear the news C-Christina’s d-d-dead!
How did you know?
I was in the room when she d-died!” Kimmy was crying I knew she didn’t want to talk about Christina so we said our good-byes and I went to try on my tux.
Kimberly
            After a sad depressing funeral, nothing like Christina would have wanted was the Will reading. I had worn jeans and a blouse. Everyone else was wearing black dresses and tuxedos. I stayed behind to look at Christina’s body. Eric and I did. She was wearing a little green dress and her wig was pulled back and curled. I could hear Eric start to cry. It was like one tear filled with love would awaken this forever sleeping soul, but it didn’t. I took one more look at the cold body, wiped my tears, took Eric’s hand and went to hear the rest of the Will reading.
Eric
            I wanted to jump in the coffin and be with her. I couldn’t imagine my life without her. I loved her and I barley ever got to say it. Now she’s dead. In her Will she left Kim forgiveness and her memory box. She gave me a future wife and a forever love that would never die. And now in these sad, sad moment’s I knew everything was going to be OK.
 
Surprise Ending!!!!!!!
Getting Over It
 
Eric
            Two months after Christina’s death had been asked out seven times but I turned them all down. I still hadn’t quite grasped the fact that she was dead. I would look over at her locker hoping to see her smiling face as she got her books, but all I saw was her school picture and flowers people had placed under the picture. I think people really do miss her. In the morning if you brought flowers to put on her school grave they would let you go out and place them in the vase. Every day I met Kim by the grave and we'd pray together. Sometimes I think I can hear her saying thank you and wishing us well. Although its upsetting I still enjoy the company.
Kimberly
            As I prepared to go pray I see my boyfriend. He knows the whole deal about Christina and sometimes he comes to pray wit us. This time he didn’t. As I walk down the hall I see Eric leaning against the wall. He stood up when he saw me. “ Hi.” He said tears streaking his face. We walk down the hall to her locker, bowed our heads, and prayed.
Eric
            When I looked up Kim was crying. I slipped my arms around her in a tight embrace unwilling to let go. I spoke softly so only she could hear. If it wasn’t for Mr. Ellis I probably would have stayed right there same position same spot forever. I said good-bye to Kimmy then walked back with Mr. Ellis.
Kimberly
            As I looked longily at Eric I wished for his warm body and soothing words. I wanted to be wrapped in his arms away from all the sadness and anger. I wanted Eric to call me every night make me laugh and listen to my problems. That’s when I noticed. I was falling in love with Eric!
Eric
            I was trying so hard to focus on science that it wasn’t funny! All I could think about was Kimmy. Her long blonde hair, pretty blue eyes, and tall slender body. I tried to shake her image from my mind but it wouldn’t leave. Finally I gave up and went on thinking about her. Bye the end of the science lesson I was so engulfed in my thoughts I ran into Elvia going out the door. Was I falling in love Kimberly?

© 2009 Chris Parker


Author's Note

Chris Parker
Its really boring so if you read this your brave!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! This was good. Many people don't have the patience to read lengthy writings, but this one was worth the read. I wish the ending was different. I kind of wanted Christina to live lol. But this was good. Well written.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 1, 2009

Author

Chris Parker
Chris Parker

Dunn, NC



About
Im writing sad depressing things now a days so dont come looking for happy! more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Chris Parker


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Chris Parker