What If

What If

A Story by Christopher Walker

Gossip is a cocktail.
Made of one part self hatred, one part boredom with a splash of a secret longing for more in life.
Fear is the glass into which this vile combination is poured and just like a glass that controls the shape a liquid will take likewise fear controls the shape of our lives.
The fear of making mistakes of our own and thus providing others stories to gossip about is often the subconscious reason for us iving vicariously through the mistakes and experiences of others instead of living our own lives.
Where did this idea come from?
You are not completely to blame the idea of living through others is something that has not only been made acceptable but is encouraged by the entertainment industry.
Film is a way for you to escape your current reality.
A way for you to be able to see life through someone else who is more then often more interesting then you.
Not because you don't have to potential and the ability but because it has been programmed into your mind that a film is just fantasy world.
So when you leave the theater or turn off the power on your television you give up on the same feeling that the motion picture inspired in you and return back the quote unquote real world.
But what if you didn't let that feeling go and weren't controlled by the fear of what other might think.
What if you didn't use media as a means to escape from your reality but instead used it as a catalyst of inspiration to turn your fantasy into your reality.
We often allow music to control us.
We allow someone else's formation of words and melody to express how we feel.
Thats why you cant remember the name of the clerk at the super market but you can remember every lyric to a song you haven't heard in years that you associate with an emotional experince.
You let the song describe how you felt in a particular moment instead of expressing your own emotions and creating your own description you lazily relive moments in your life through the experiences of others.
We do this because of fear of how our expressions will be received.
We live in a world where we want to live out our lives through pictures on tumbler and pinterst.
We say "look at her, she looks so cool" which often translates into i want to be her but i am to scared of everything that would imply so i will just live out my fantasy through this picture.
But what if we all just lived our lives to the fullest and weren't held back by fear.
What if we never had dreams because we lived them out everyday.
If someone else can do it why cant you?
We all have different talents.
Some would say that their aren't enough fans out there for everyone to be a star and i would agree.
More then likely most of us wont be stars becuase for one person to famous millions have to take on the role of being "average".
So why don't we just stop caring about how many facebook likes we get or how many people download our song and just worry about the quailty of the expression.
I believe that everything is an art from the way you dress to your word selection in a conversation.
So if we are all artist shouldn't our only concern be the art of life and its quality.
Not how it will be received and what judgment it will endure.
Imagine the world we would live in if everyone just gave everything their best and didn't worry about how it was be received.
A world not held back by fear.
Man can accomplish anything if he doesn't care who gets the credit.
So the question isn't whether or not can you change the world but if you are not going to simply because you want the credit for doing so?


© 2012 Christopher Walker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You bring up some good points about life within fear and fear within life. Fear is one the most powerful gods in existence and has been for sometime. But, if we were not afraid of anything then there would be no risks to take and therefore no need for the reward of accomplishment.
A lot of people walk around acting like they are better than everyone else, but these are the people that are the most insecure and afraid of all. Fear has taken full control of them so they must try to spread it to as many people as they can.
The key to this whole thing, and I think you are getting close to it, is to be content with yourself and know who you really are.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
1 Review
Added on November 28, 2012
Last Updated on November 28, 2012
Tags: Life, gossip, hate, change, media, music, film