Change vs Celexa

Change vs Celexa

A Story by Laylani Mullane
"

An essay written about how the best way to treat depression isn't medication, but life changes

"

What disease is one of the leading causes of suicide, affects over eight percent of Americans, but is also one of the most highly treatable with over eighty percent success rate?  Depression is something not taken seriously enough in today’s day and age, too often referred to as the common cold of mental disease.  It is a highly prevalent factor in many lives, regardless of age, sex, gender or race.  If left untreated it can become quite dangerous with symptoms ranging from trouble sleeping to loss of appetite to acute feelings of guilt and hopelessness.  However, this is also a very treatable illness.  There are a variety of treatment options out there, ranging from the medicinal to the metaphysical.   Depression can be overwhelming, but the most effective means of treating it is not simply a regiment of medication, but a change in lifestyle to gain the knowledge and tools to help deal with the underlying cause of the illness.


Depression is not always taken it seriously.  However it is dangerous if not treated properly, leading to much more serious symptoms down the line.  Too many believe that depression is something to simply ‘get over’ and not a serious mental disorder.  If left untreated it can lead to serious issues such as fluctuation in weight, loss of sleep and even heart disease.  It has even been known to cause the loss of over 200 work days and $43.7 billion in absenteeism from work, lost productivity and direct treatment costs. (Chang, 2011).  However the number of ways to treat depression is as numerous as the people that currently suffer from it.  There are two specific ways, the first being antidepressants that are the most popular choice, but more often than not do little good.  The other way is the patient under goes life style changes.  While these do take longer, they are more affective in and longer lasting because they treat the root of the depression and not just the symptoms. 


Medication is thought to be the cure-all end-all, but often the relief they grant is temporary, if they grant any at all.  Antidepressants are the third most common taken by eleven percent of Americans, aged twelve and over. (Pratt, Brody, Gu, 2011).  They can offer relief, but more often than not they have little more than a placebo effect.  There is an active debate going on currently if this medicine is effective due to active chemicals or just the mental expectation that they are supposed to work.  All too often the success rate is no greater than 70 percent.  (ConsumerReports.org, 2011)  Another thing to keep in mind is that in this economy and with so many without insurance the cost of trying to acquire the needed medication can create their own type of anxiety.  The monthly price range of the pills are exceedingly expensive, some going for almost over a hundred dollars.  (ConsumerReports.org)  While many might consider medication the best way to treat depression, too often it only treats the surface of the problem.  For longer lasting effects changes in lifestyle and breaking destructive habits are effective, sometimes alongside medication, but can be a powerful tool on their own.


The underlying issues and not just the symptoms must be dealt with by changes in lifestyle to achieve longer lasting relief from depression.  While depression can be described as an imbalance of certain chemicals in the brain, it’s much more complicated than that.  Widely considered to be a chronic disease, such as diabetes, depression needs to be treated by changes in the patient’s lifestyle.  It has been shown that people who burn over a thousand calories a week, obtain a decent night’s sleep and have a good nutritional diet have much lower risk of depression.  (Kotx, 2009, April)  Psychological help is also highly beneficial, treating issues such as self-esteem, anxiety, and PTSD, all of which one of main symptoms is depression.  These do take longer to take hold, especially the psychological help.  Dealing with past hurts can often heighten anxiety, but putting to rest past trauma and breaking destructive habits is more beneficial than the strongest medication.  All together medication is good for short term, but a larger scale change in the patient’s life is needed for the most effective treatment of their depression.


Treating depression is by no means an easy task.  Many do not take it seriously, not understanding that this often isn’t something to just ‘get over’.  If left untreated serious health problems can arise.  To treat this disease someone can try a wide variety of pills and life style changes in any number of combinations.  The most popular option is often medication, but too often they cost too much or their effects don’t last long enough, if they occur at all.  To fully get a handle on depression a change in life style is recommended.  This way a person’s destructive habits can be curbed.  Depression can be overwhelming, but the most effective means of treating it is not simply a regiment of medication, but a change in lifestyle to gain the knowledge and tools to help deal with the underlying cause of the illness.


Chang, L. (2011, March). Untreated Depression. WebMD.  Retrieved from: http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/untreated-depression-effects?page=3

Pratt LA, Brody DJ, Gu Q. (2011, October) “Antidepressant use in persons aged 12 and over: United States, 2005"2008.” Retrieved from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db76.htm

ConsumerReports.org. (2011, April) “Best Buy Drugs.”  Retrieved from: http://www.consumerreports.org/health/resources/pdf/best-buy-drugs/Antidepressants_update.pdf

Kotz, Deborah. (2009, April). “Depressed and Coping: Treating Depression When Medication Fails”.  Retrieved from: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/brain-and-behavior/articles/2009/04/24/depressed-treating-depression-drugs-medication-treatments-antidepressants

© 2013 Laylani Mullane


Author's Note

Laylani Mullane
I mainly wanted to put this here because its kind of an important piece for me. I'm currently going to school for a degree in psychology and counseling. Treating PTSD and depression are two things I'm interesting in learning more about. So any feedback would be great.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
Added on February 2, 2013
Last Updated on February 2, 2013
Tags: depression, PTSD, treatment, essay, versus, antidepressants

Author

Laylani Mullane
Laylani Mullane

AZ



About
For me poetry is about emotion, and most of the time when I write I try not to edit too much, if at all, because I believe that it'll only dimish the emotion. For the last few years writing has helpe.. more..

Writing