Naïvetivity

Naïvetivity

A Story by Cris Gregorio

The smell of the crisp of autumn's leaves and the aroma of fabricated clothes were present that day-- it was Friday. The morning dew dropped onto Greg's face as he was trying to wake up. The illusories of his dream reminded of what he was planning to track in his life. "Bunso, gising na. Maaga pa pasok mo."
The words that came out from her mom's mouth became a recognition of a slap from reality, that dreams are only dreams unless you combine reality to it. Greg belongs to a nuclear family, and they immigrated to Missouri after Duterte was elected by the majority of the Philippines.
"Mama, why can't we go back to the Philippines?"
With an ambient sigh, her mom replied
"It's dangerous na, anak. Delikado na sa Pilipinas."
"Why, Mama? I have friends in the Philippines and they tell me na everything's been the same."
"No, anak. Panget na dun, and besides, we are in the U.S. na. Better opportunities will come in our way. Kalimutan mo na muna Pilipinas. Babalik din tayo dun."
Greg had no other choice but to live the moment. He was still nauseous from his sleep. He was quick to prepare to go to his new school. It was his second day of schooling, and he has yet to feel the presence of the camarederie from his new school, since he was unable to make friends. After his arrival to school, a black teenage girl told him that Asians and Blacks are oppressed in the country. When he asked why or how, the girl replied
"Because that's just how it is. White Supremacy is still rampant in U. S. and it sucks."
The girl walked Greg to his classroom and there, he was being stared by his classmates. He remembered that Asians are oppressed in America, and he assumed that he was a victim of Asian oppression because of the glares. During lunch, the same girl who informed him about oppression approached him.
"Hey, we are planning to have a protest in the University of Chicago, where Ben Shapiro is planning to host a talk. It is right to protest since it is basically practicing our right to free speech. We'll be in charge for the transportation."
"Who is Ben Shapiro, and why should we have a protest against him?"
"Because he's a racist white male."
"How was he a racist white male?"
"Because that's that. He is against us and he will be against you too."
"I have to ask my mom first, then I'll inform you."
Greg quickly walked away to not have a discussion with the girl. He was amused by her persevarance just to invite people to protest.
When he returned home, he told his mom of his day, and reiterated that he wanted to go back to the Philippines, since he doesn't like the vibe he is getting in America. Again, his mom told him
"We won't be going back now, not when Duterte is still the president. I don't want you to see what you don't want to see."
"But mom, what is it that makes you despise the current state of the Philippines?"
"Nak, siguro bata ka pa kaya hindi mo pa naiintindihan. Maiintindihan mo rin yan kapag lumaki ka na."
With a botheredsome face, he headed to his room and had a conversation with his friend, Amy, who was living in the Philippines.
"Kumusta kayo dyan? Ano nang nangyayari sa bansa natin?"
"Okay lang naman lahat. Sa ngayon, actually. Takot na ang karamihan ng Pilipino ngayon. Hindi ko alam kung bakit. Siguro dahil sa social issues like EJK, Duterte's criticisms to the Catholic Church."
After thinking, Greg understood why his mom doesn't want him to go home.
"Thank you, Amy!"
After that, he thanked his mom for being careful of his son, and decided to join the protest, since he is against racism and bigotry.
"I am always caring for you, anak. Remember that, and thank you for believing in me."
From that day on, Greg was a different man, upholding changed ideologies and different preferences when it comes to societal issues.

© 2018 Cris Gregorio


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

62 Views
Added on August 12, 2018
Last Updated on August 12, 2018

Author

Cris Gregorio
Cris Gregorio

Philippines



About
@imcjgregorio more..

Writing
Deader Deader

A Story by Cris Gregorio