THE MACHINE

THE MACHINE

A Story by Ceej
"

a science fiction story, about a page and half long.

"

"Imagine. That's all you have to do, really. You just lay your head back, and let the machine work its magic."

 
"Does it actually feel, You know...real?"

"Everything down to the smallest particular."


"Would you like to give it a try?"


"I could explain the science to you, if you'd like?"


"Many would like to believe that our machines somehow merge themselves with the subject's sensory receptors, and that is how we can guarantee such a real and sensual experience, but that is contrary to the truth! to do so would require far too many needles and has been proven to produce unsatisfactory results during our recorded trials. What our machines actually do, is take control of the subject's body's receptors! Brilliant isn't it? The machine feels everything for you! Its genius!"


"Are you the romantic type? How would you like to make love to a different beautiful women every night of the week? or maybe you're the adrenalin junky! drive a car off the moon and sky dive from space! rule the world, raise a family, be rich beyond your wildest dreams! The possibilities are endless... it all depends on what you can... Imagine."


"Does it hurt...?"


"a small incision must be made in the cerebral cortex."
"A small price to pay for infinite bliss..."


"How much?"


" 2 months of Labor in exchange for  2 weeks of Time."


The man stood there, pondering the machines infinite possibilities...


"OK, I'll give it a try..."


They shook hands, and the man was lead to one of the machines...


Humming and rattling with the power of divines, the machine began its process. The man was put to sleep, and the incision was made. The machine was now in control of everything. The man's body remained strapped in, his eyes, now open wide, staring into nowhere, he began to smile, muttering sexual obscenities. He began drooling, then laughing maniacally, then crying hysterically, then staring off again... 


The man stayed like this for fourteen days. Finally, his time had run out. The machine cleans him, disposes of his waste, and injects him with a nourishment protein. His eyes burn from the light as the machine dispenses him into the Labor office. His body aches as he tries to stand. The Labor Office Clerk hands him his pick and helmet, and he is quickly shuffled off to the mines.


That was the deal... Two short weeks of infinite pleasure, in exchange for two long months, of darkness and soot. Sixty days, of hunger pains, and forty sleepless nights. one thousand hours of black lungs, and foot infections. He held strong to his memories of the wonderful days and nights he had spent with the machine, and that would keep him going, he thought. Then, the man thought to himself.. then he could return.   

© 2013 Ceej


Author's Note

Ceej
howdy again :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I liked that. It seems to me that you could probably extend it a little, though.

I think it would benefit from having a bit of a build-up before the guy gets to the machine. Maybe he spends his day looking forward to it? Also, if description was mixed in with the dialogue section at the start, then it would flow a little better (in my opinion); it seems like it's all dialogue and then all description.

The concept is great!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ceej

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your criticism! I was really iffy on the ending, and I sort of got a bit impatient wit.. read more



Reviews

I liked that. It seems to me that you could probably extend it a little, though.

I think it would benefit from having a bit of a build-up before the guy gets to the machine. Maybe he spends his day looking forward to it? Also, if description was mixed in with the dialogue section at the start, then it would flow a little better (in my opinion); it seems like it's all dialogue and then all description.

The concept is great!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ceej

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your criticism! I was really iffy on the ending, and I sort of got a bit impatient wit.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

340 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 28, 2013
Last Updated on November 29, 2013
Tags: science, futurism, dark, machine, robot, short story, fiction, bliss

Author

Ceej
Ceej

MD



About
My inspirations for writing are as follows: Pretty Women Science Fiction Fireball Whiskey Existential Dread more..

Writing
"Love Takes" "Love Takes"

A Poem by Ceej


"Postage" "Postage"

A Poem by Ceej


"Hollow" "Hollow"

A Poem by Ceej