Arkansas Travelers

Arkansas Travelers

A Story by Clem
"

Two Birds On A Roadtrip

"

It's spring 2008 and we are preparing for a road trip while the temperatures are still cool. We've covered all the bases, including having someone care for Barb's two parakeets. Then comes the surprise - our bird watcher backs out. Our plans are coming unraveled. However, Barb, my problem solver, offers a solution.

Take them with us.

Well, we've taken kids, dogs, and cats on road trips, but never birds. I go into wait and see mode.

We have air conditioning, so the birds will be comfortable. The back seat folds, providing a flat surface for the cage. Still, what about the bird seed and water getting into the crevasses?

Not a problem. She has a huge beach towel from our last trip to North Carolina's Outer Banks. She folds it several times puts it beneath the cage, and then pins it a few inches up on the sides. Handled!

I asked about lunch. "Will we need to buy cold cuts from a deli and then eat in the car? We don't dare leave them in the car while go into Denny's?"

"We'll buy cold cuts if you like, but I'm suggesting we bring along the propane camp stove, a tea kettle, and a gallon of water. Most towns have a city park with picnic tables. We can stop somewhere and each have instant soup."

So the trek begins.

The parakeets are better travelers than we ever dreamed. In fact, we both forget they are in the car until I roll down the window, letting in the highway-speed wind.

"Good grief! We forgot about the birds," shouts Barb.

No worries. They are clinging to the foreword perch, their neck outstretched like a pair of wind surfers.

By this time we're in Arkansas. When we stop for fuel the two chat with each other in quiet undertones, but when I start the engine they screech at the top of their lungs as only a parakeet can and then leap to that favorite perch.

Shortly before noon Barb buys cold cuts from a deli. At the first park and we have our soup and sandwiches. just as Barb has predicted. Everything is a marvelous success, until a stray cat leaps in through the offside window. An alarm is sounded. The cat is quickly discouraged.

When I start the car the birds voice their approval. Indeed, the Arkansas Travelers are ready to roll.

© 2018 Clem


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So far so good for the parakeets Clem. It sounds like you have more to tell. How did the trip go? I wasn't too sure what Denny's was or the crevasses were. I thought your image of the birds like windsurfers was great. Good to read something a bit different.
Regards,
Alan

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

So far so good for the parakeets Clem. It sounds like you have more to tell. How did the trip go? I wasn't too sure what Denny's was or the crevasses were. I thought your image of the birds like windsurfers was great. Good to read something a bit different.
Regards,
Alan

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

With this story, you give new meaning to the term, "Arkansas travelers". When I was in the Navy and drove back to Arkansas with a cat in the car, it didn't go so well. Now I know I should've had parakeets. A well-written story.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 1, 2018
Last Updated on May 1, 2018
Tags: Birds, Soup, Travel

Author

Clem
Clem

Crossett, AR



About
I write fiction. more..

Writing
A Band of Gold A Band of Gold

A Story by Clem