Inspiration

Inspiration

A Story by Jacob Clifford
"

Writer's block!

"

It happens to everyone: the dreaded writer's block.

            I've experienced this beast before, but never in such a concentrated dosage. Before, I would just have to push myself a little harder to force out what I want to say. It created difficulty, but it was mortal; I could stuff it into a box and stow it away in the darkest corner of my mind--out of sight, out of mind. But this time. . . I am physically pained by it. I feel the words coursing through my veins, looking for any chance to escape and find a blank sheet of paper. They press against my skin. My brain churns, trying to find a way to make physical the aimless words banging around in my skull. I am only certain of one thing: I will explode if I can't open the gates.

            In hopes of freeing myself from the river of damned souls, I'm creating this "story". It seems every writer who ever lived has made something similar to this work. I don't think it has ever worked, but hey, what have I got to lose if it goes bottoms up? It's not like I'll get extra writer's block. . . right?

            I don't quite understand why I can't get out any words. Just an hour ago, I was struck by a crackling lightning bolt of inspiration. My eyes turned electric blue, and I started twitching.

I was prepared to write the poems to end all poems. I was going to start writing and not stop until I created a masterpiece. I was going to draw tears, both from the writer and reader. I was going to tap into my well of emotions and manifest them into text. And it was going great. Until I started. I stared at my monitor for ten minutes, my jaw slowly going slack. My fingers locked into place above my keyboard. Eventually, my brain started bleeding and I had to stop.

            And with that, my dear reader, this experiment is drawing to a close. I'll say a word of thanks to those of you who made it through the previous 300 words. How many of you have experienced writer's block? I would assume each and every one of you. Did you simply wait it out, huddled in the corner and sucking your thumb? Or do you have some magical hoodoo trick to unclog your creative arteries? I would love to hear the stories, good or bad.

            Anyway, how are you doing? Pretty well, I hope. In any case, should my affliction takes me later this night, I leave everything to my six cats.

© 2017 Jacob Clifford


Author's Note

Jacob Clifford
I'm sure many of you can relate. Please, let me know of any methods you have of defeating this monster.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Happens to everyone but only few can fight it and make their way out of this block...I am not one of them...for sure :) , but I know some friends who know the art to tackle this problem, they just take it easy and write the story in a casual way not adding too much details, they just try to build the structure of that story and after sometime when they feel normal they add details and everything necessary to write a good story.
Your story seems more realistic to me. Anyhow how I am supposed to believe that you were going through a block while you have written this masterpiece :) .
Your writing has a different perspective and it helps me to find new ways of story writing.
Well done friend you are doing great.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much for reading, Usman. I am a bit surprised by the positive feedback this piece has.. read more



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Hahahaha. It looks like i might have infected you, Clifford! Is writer's block contagious you think?
This is a smartly written piece, regardless of your dilemma.
As you knew, i was suffering from the beast not to long ago. The ideas were there, but the words just would not come out in the order that i wanted them to.
That Is why i went back to basics. Try a simple sextet or quartet. Just to get something on to the page. I did It with my poem, "The Poet", and It seemed to unclog the river in my mind. Just a thought.
I enjoyed this piece though! And six cats! Damn! Six too many!
Try not to overcomplicate your work. Then the words will flow again. Good luck! It's a nasty beast!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Mhhm. I had you in mind when I wrote this. I did try to make my poem natural and simple, but my gear.. read more
love it! very true :)
it is very hard to get rid of writers block, I'm fortunate enough that I have other creative outlets I can turn to. That seems to help me with it, once I get the creative juices flowing its easier to use them in my writing. :) or you can just do something more technical, like map out the story and its characters, so on so forth. :)


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Yes, having multiple creative outlets is great. I do have a few other options aside from writing. I .. read more
Sarah Wilson

8 Years Ago

no problem :)
Writer's block? The 'stuff' that's left me in chapter 3 of my novel for the past month? It truly is one hell of a monster. Here's what I do though. I put down the words, no matter how 'nonsense' it feels like...than give myself time and come back to edit..
It truly is a Demon, so do tread carefully friend :D

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

A month! That's quite the struggle you have on your hands, friend. After-the-fact editing has saved .. read more
Haha!! I had a friend and fellow writer here, who, a few days ago challenged me to a short story tournament. One paragraph to tell an entire story with tight constraints about a dragon. I had like two hours to deadline and let me tell you I thought my head would explode by the time I was done! I write long stuff... "Flash fiction"?? New beast to me...

So I think if you are blocked on a poem you want to write, then maybe try what I do. Take paper and a pen to your room. Lights on, music on that draws on the emotion you want to pull out of yourself. Lay on the bed, ignoring the pen and paper while you just..... feel... This ALWAYS works for me.. Sometimes I even think of songs I would like to write, and the poem comes forth that way, and then can be edited into a poem later. Just listen to the music, long if you must... and then draw up those deep feelings... and when the nausea hits you... puke them out upon the paper!! ;)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, it's looking like I'll have to go bulimic to get my words out. .. read more
M. L. F.

8 Years Ago

Ha.. Yes, that is the word I'd use for flash fiction... "different" ;) And please, no eating disord.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

850 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 23, 2016
Last Updated on June 21, 2017

Author

Jacob Clifford
Jacob Clifford

MN



About
Thank you, my Cafe family, for all that you have done for me. This has been a wonderful period of my life. If any of you ever want to reach me, feel free to send me an email at [email protected]... more..

Writing
Cracked Cracked

A Story by Jacob Clifford



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The End. The End.

A Poem by K. Harding


Dark Bargain Dark Bargain

A Story by Aurafiex