Not You

Not You

A Stage Play by Forgotten and Loved

Dan: Do you think my plays have any meaning?

Violet: (Again? How many times have she and Dan had this conversation?) I don’t know, Dan. You write them.

Dan: Yeah. Yeah. Hey, get off your butt and read this scene with me.

Violet: You’re such a charmer, Dan.

Dan: Hey, I never said I was any white night, Vi. Now move it over here.

Violet: Could you be any more self-absorbed? (As she crosses over to him to read his latest disaster)

Dan: I’m much better than I used to be. I used to be so much more of a whine.

Violet: So much like Woody Allen without the success and intelligence and all, right?

Dan: Okay, sweetie, you play a vulnerable girl, young, pretty, scared, frightened, weak and clinging to…

Violet: You don’t like women very much.

Dan: Don’t be silly. I like women fine as long as they don’t say much and as long as they don’t think they’re smarter than I am.

Violet: Most of us are though. I know I’m smarter than you are.

Dan: I’m getting irritated here. I need to go watch some TV. Do you know what’s on this afternoon?

Violet: How about this scene?

Dan: Huh? Oh, I don’t know. I think I’m going to trash this one.

Violet: Can I read it first?

Dan: You won’t like it.

Violet: Let me read it anyway.

Dan: No, give it to me.

Violet: I’m gonna read it, Dan. I want to see what else you think of women.

Dan: Hey I’m with you, aren’t I? We’ve been dating seven weeks now. We get along pretty well, right?

Violet: Well, no. We have nothing in common.

Dan: Well, that’s weird. I think we have plenty in common.

Violet: Such as?

Dan: Well, I don’t know but there must be some reason we started dating in the first place.

Violet: Do you think this might be why your relationships never go anywhere?

Dan: Don’t be silly, sweetie. (Tries to kiss her)

Violet: Uh, no. Just no. Not right now. Maybe never again.

Dan: Oh, geez, are we breaking up here?

Violet: Well can you give me any reason why we should keep dating?

Dan: Well, I like you.

Violet: Are you sure?

Dan: Sure.

Violet: I don’t think you’re serious.

Dan: I might be. You’ll never know.

Violet: Okay. We’re through.

Dan: Hey! I was joking! I joke. You know that. Come on. I’m just in a little rut right now

Violet: You’re always in a rut. You’re always having writer’s block. You’re always depressed. You’re always complaining of how you stepped in dog doodoo in the morning. Amnd ypu actually use the word doo-doo.

Dan: I doubt I do.

Violet: I can get the tape recorder out.

Dan: Okay. Okay. I’m a little annoying and immature but that is no reason for us… to… well…

Violet: Oh, you break up with people all the time, don’t you?

Dan: Sure, but I don’t like doing it.

Violet: You’ll be okay. You’re a nice, cool, talented, smart, funny guy, but I don’t think you’re cut out for dating yet. You’re…. your anxiety is out of control.

Dan: Oh no it isn’t. It really isn’t…. I’m just well…. I’m neurotic probably.

Violet: Well, yeah, that’s why we’re breaking up.

Dan: Huh. Can we be friends?

Violet: You know we can’t.

Dan: Well, that’s strange.

Violet: No, it isn’t and you know that, Dan.

Dan: Yeah. I guess not. I don’t know… I do care about you, Violet.

Violet: I know you do and I’ll always think and remember you, Dan. Please know that and maybe sometime we can grab lunch or something.

Dan: Okay. Sure. Yeah. Have a nice life, kid.

Violet: You too. (Exits).


Dan: Ummm… Yeah…. Obviously the breakup wasn’t that nice…. A lot of explwetives we’re said, and she called me selfish and mean and self-absorbed and a freak and a loser and a nothing, but I think this scene I wrote leaves things on a more hopeful note, and that maybe people don’t hate each other when they break up. Obviously that’s a lie, but, hey, wouldn’t that be fantastic? Yeah, that’s the end.

(Curtain.)

© 2010 Forgotten and Loved


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on June 23, 2010
Last Updated on June 23, 2010

Author

Forgotten and Loved
Forgotten and Loved

Jackson, MI



Writing
The Clown The Clown

A Stage Play by Forgotten and Loved


The Call The Call

A Stage Play by Forgotten and Loved