Coming Back

Coming Back

A Stage Play by Forgotten and Loved

Have: So, why are you here?

Greer: I need to get some stuff.

Have: Uh huh. Yeah. Okay. Well, I just moved in here so I don’t know where any of your stuff is or if I even have it anymore.

Greer: Well, I need it.

Have: Well, I’m sorry but I might not have it, and I don’t really want to see you right now, so come back when I’m ready.

Greer: Hey, I’m not planning to have some long conversation here and give you any closure… You’ll never have that because you just don’t get it.

Have: Okay. Well, the fact remains I really don’t want to deal with you right now so maybe I’ll look around and in the next few years I’ll give you your stuff.

Greer: We broke up nine months ago. You need to get over this. We didn’t even date that long.

Have: Doesn’t mean I want to talk to you. You lost out on a great friendship because the second a person truly starts caring about you, you just run away and go back to some friends that you can goof around with but will never give you anything real which is what I gave you so many times, but you don’t care about that because I demanded you to care about something.

Greer: All you did was demand things of me. Time, money, we were so inseparable and we didn’t spend time with anyone else. It wasn’t healthy. I felt suffocated and dead and you’re just not the sort of guy I wanted to have anything to do with anymore.

Have: Not even as a friend, huh? We were great friends before we started dating.

Greer: Well that didn’t last, did it?

Have: Well I can’t be the only one trying, sweetheart.

Greer: Shut the f**k up. I really don’t want to talk about this right now.

Have: Of course not. Nothing serious or awkward- you might feel alive and important, God forbid.

Greer: You were far from perfect, a*****e.

Have: I don’t recall ever saying I was perfect or always wise or considerate, but I treated you better than most people in your life ever have, and then you still had the gall to leave me all alone, and head back to the people that will only care about you when they need a shoulder to cry on. If you hadn’t treated me so poorly I’d still do that for you… Actually if you were to come back to me now, as a friend, as a whatever you want it to be, I’d do the same for you, but frankly I’m sick of being the one who cares while the other just finds me to be a pain.

Greer: Well, you are a pain. Help me look for my things.

Have: What things? I don’t want to help you look for them. I don’t want to help you anymore. I’m sick of helping everypone and caring and blah blah blah while I am always…. Never mind. Fine. Fine. I’ll help you. What things/

Greer: Books. Cds. Cards. You know.

Have: I have tried to put it all out of my mind.

Greer: You’ll never put me out of your mind.

Have: And yet I’ve been out of your mind since the moment we broke up.

Greer: That is not true. I thought about you plenty.

Have: Only about how much you hate me. You have no call to hate me but f**k you.

Greer: There’s no call for that.

Have: There was no call for you saying our friendship is over by just ignoring me and not saying anything to me anymore… giving me not even a semblance of closure. Just once I wanted some closure when a relationship ended, and I thought things with you would be different, but apparently I was wrong… I was…. Forget it. Fine. What Cds?

Greer: Elton John. Bob Dylan. Marilyn Manson. Alice Cooper. Coldplay. Billy Joel. Damien Rice. Barry Manilow. Cake. Elvis Costello.

Have: Yeah, well, I probably have all those anyway. We always had everything in common.

Greer: It wasn’t enough.

Have: Obviously not. So, who are you with these days? Which person is completing your life? Huh? Who is being used to make you feel alive and validated and s**t?

Greer: Shut it, okay? I’m not going to talk to you about my personal life. It’s none of your business. You and I have nothing now, just accept it.

Have: I don’t do accepting well.

Greer: Believe me, I remember.

Have: We never argued while we dated. Something was so different then.

Greer: Sure we were stupid and we both thought we had found something that would actually work.

Have: Or maybe it was real, it was important, it was special and we should have kept it going, no matter how scared of awkward or uncomfortable we became… it’s not as though either one of us are doing much better now.

Greer: That has nothing to do with the fact that we never see each other anymore.

Have: Who gave you my address anyway? I hardly told anyone since no one bothers to write or call me that I’m living here now.

Greer: Stop it. I found it. That’s all you need to know.

Have: Sure don’t tell me something specific or give me the sense that I matter… wouldn’t want me to feel human or anything. I’ll go on feeling like s**t.

Greer: You’re not making any sense.

Have: Probably not. I really should have gotten some help through counseling and medication… and all… but, well, that;s not going to happen.

Greer: So you’re choosing to remain miserable and friendless and all?

Have: Why not? Okay. Well I don’t feel like finding your stuff. To tell you the truth I probably got rid of it on one of my bad days, when I didn’t want to think about you anymore.

Greer: Obviously that didn’t work out too well for you.

Have: Well it was fantastic seeing you, but let’s not do it again.

Greer: Let’s look for my books.

Have: Let’s not. I turned them all into my church or the library or the used book store. I got rid of a lot of memories since I couldn’t get amnesia.

Greer: I really liked those books.

Have: Guess you should have come a long time ago, huh? Can’t say you didn’t have time. I just did it a few weeks ago, thinking for certain I’d never see you again. Oh well. Your loss. As was the relationship and the friendship. So are we done here?

Greer: I don’t know why I ever felt anything for you.

Have: Because you were human for a little while and when I’m nice I’m, nice and when I’m funny I’m funny, but if you hurt me like you did without caring at all about my feelings or how the memories would affect me, I can be very cruel, very cold, but I didn’t think you’d even notice since I didn’t think you’d ever come here.

Greer: How about the cards?

Have: I haven’t a clue. I don’t care either. I finally don’t care at all about you. Get the Hell out of here.

Greer: You’ll never be happy.

Have: You made certain of that. But, you know? When I forget all about you, I’ll be happy. I know I’m a good person. I’m good-looking, I’m intelligent, I’m talented, I’m funny, I’m charming, I’m likeable….. Yes, I know I have my faults, but after I forget about the narcissistic, self-absorbed women I have liked in the past, and realize what great things I deserve, I’m sure I’ll be okay because I deserve to be happy, I deserve to be with a person who cares about me as much as I care about her. So, now if you would be so kind get the Hell out of here.

Greer: I don’t think you believe anything you’ve said.

Have: You’ll never know and that’s fine by you, I’m sure.

(Curtain.)

© 2010 Forgotten and Loved


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on July 1, 2010
Last Updated on July 1, 2010

Author

Forgotten and Loved
Forgotten and Loved

Jackson, MI



Writing
The Clown The Clown

A Stage Play by Forgotten and Loved


The Call The Call

A Stage Play by Forgotten and Loved