The Ideal

The Ideal

A Stage Play by Forgotten and Loved

Fiona: The ideal?

Bobby: Yes. The ideal. You’re my sister. So I can tell you all about this.

Fiona: I don’t know. This sounds really old-fashioned and misogynistic. Why can’t you just accept the women of this world? Why must you go looking or creating something that doesn’t exist to please your insatiable needs?

Bobby: Well you’re a woman you could never possibly understand.

Fiona: Please enlighten me, Professor.

Bobby: Oh, no, no, no. Please don’t let me go off here and try to explain the unexplainable to someone who could never even begin to grasp my point of view. I could attempt the impossible,m of course, but you, like most people, have made up your mind about all issues  and  will only believe I am doing nothing more than blowing hot air.

Fiona: That’s what I believe you’re doing right now, yes.

Bobby: Fiona, little sister, just accept the fact that all the women in this world can never satisfy me. I am not to be satisfied by women who have = physical, emotional, psychological and hygienic flaws. And I don’t have time to grow accustomed to all their petty little problems, their nagging, and their constant need for attention, presents, cars, and, of course, the list is endless, is it not? I am, therefore, endeavoring to create myself something that will be perfect, something that will not speak too much or too little. One which will not go on and on about the futile and tedious. One who will love nor too much nor too little, but will be perfect for exactly what it is I crave and desire. I know it still won’t make much sense to you because we have been taught since we were born to get along in this world, and to accept things the way they are in this world, but I cannot do that. I refuse to do that. I was meant for things that do not exist. They were not handed down by whatever threw this world into existence so I must go about creating for myself an Ideal Creation. Something that will satisfy me perfectly, and when this thing is created I will no longer be unhappy, depressed, lonely, and worthless but I will awaken with a new enthusiasm and vigor for life and all the wonderful things that can come with it.

Fiona: Couldn’t you kill yourself and hope that in your next life what it is you’re presented with will satisfy you to your heart’s content?

Bobby: Fiona, don’t be preposterous and juvenile. I would never kill myself. I still hold out hope and happiness for myself, but, perhaps, if this Ideal Creation of mine somehow unexpectedly becomes a great mistake and I find myself still not completely satisfied and happy with it, I will consider the final act of suicide, yes. Perhaps, but perhaps I will try and try until I have created the True Ideal Creation.

Fiona: Do you honestly believe this man-made contraption of yours which is meant to be a woman, not an object, will ever truly be able to bring you any lasting happiness?

Bobby: I will not know until the young woman is completed, will I? Listen, Fiona, oftentimes I feel like a blasted fool for not settling in this universe, but I still many couples every day settling, and I see that it leads them to so many awful things, and frankly I want to stay far away from depression, loneliness, entrapment, possessiveness, jealousy, loss of love and spirit, suicidal thoughts and tendencies. I want to have the ideal instead of falling asleep in the same bed with a person I have merely settled with because I had to accept the fact that a True Ideal will never truly exist. I have been hurt, disappointed, rejected and betrayed on enough occasions in my life that I have become totally weary of having anything intimate or special with another human being. I suppose you would refer to it as fear or as narcissism…. I simply refer to it as the fact that I have finally learned a lesson- the simple lesson that no matter who I am or what I do it is never enough for another, neither is what they do for me enough, so we drift apart until we no longer speak or understand each other, and anytime we see each other we have to pretend the other isn’t there. I believe they honestly don’t realize I’m there…. They forget all about the times we had together…. I, on the other hand…. I can never forget nor will I ever until I find someone I am certain will love me forever and for whom I can do the same. I cannot wait to finally be loved for who I am, no matter how worthless and vulgar and unimpressive that may be. I just want to be loved and love in return. I know I’m asking for a lot here, but it truly is what I have always wanted because I believe in fantasy and fairy tales… and I always will. I can be no other way… at least I don’t know how to be any other way, but I am a fool, a hopeless case in all ways, but I will have happiness- and the only way to achieve such a state is to create someone who would otherwise never come into existence. Damn, I wish someone had cared about me sooner- This will even leave me empty I know that. It’s my last ditch effort to find any way that I could possibly belong or be understood. I’m a damn fool, that’s all there is to it.

Fiona: So you refuse to accept the realities of this world. You truly believe you can create yourself a woman that will be far superior to any woman who is on this earth or who will be on this earth some day? You honestly believe you can improve upon this world? Are you that arrogant and delusional and afraid of the real world to hold such a contemptuous view of all society?

Bobby: As I said this has nothing to do with me feeling that what I create will be superior, nor am I attempting to create a utopia. I am well aware that if I do create a person who is ideal for me, that all the other troubles in this universe will continue. Depravity, loss, death, destruction, suicides, wars, murders, corruption, burglaries, exterminations, espionage and the like will all continue. There will still be people getting their hearts broken daily since they have not resolved to create someone who would be perfect for them, but I know that I must have a soul mate, a confidante, someone I can reach out to and talk to about everything and anything anytime I need to because I have attempted to connect with others and… it hasn’t worked out. Not through fault of theirs nor mine, but simply because we did not connect, it would not make sense for us to be friends and to spend time together- There is simply no spark or true interest before us. Oftentimes no one is to blame, and I can accept that reality. I can accept that people in this universe and me will never feel good with each other since we weren’t meant to. I can handle that fate. I know I cannot try or make others love me, care about me or want to be with me, but with this person I can create I know with utter certainty that I will always have someone to turn to when I most need someone. So that is as well as I can explain it the reason why I am creating someone else to fill the void in my life that has me so alienated. This is why I must create another to give me an actual reason to live.

Fiona: But you have so many who care about you- even if you don’t realize it. You have me. You have your parents. You even have friends, don’t you?

Bobby: True enough. My friends? I have people I speak with from time to time, and people I wish nothing but the best for, but I can hardly say that we’re much more than acquaintances really… because there’s no connection or spark when we communicate. I will say it again I am seeking no pity or sympathy, I realize things are the way they are through no fault of anyone, it is merely fate and I can deal with that, but I also know I must have some form of companionship


Fiona: How about me and our parents?

Bobby: I love you all very much. I do. You know that by now even if I have hidden behind many walls in my life, but I have to have someone outside of my family, who doesn’t yet know so many of the things about me. And as much as I love all of you I don’t feel I can talk about these things with as much honesty since there are certain topics that are never discussed within a family.. No, I have to create another to have what I have always truly needed…. Not wanted… Needed. And I am certain of this.

Fiona: I can’t say I agree with this idea of yours of if you won’t be disappointed when your creation turns out to be less than you expect. Our expectations always ruin us since we’re never realistic in them.

Bobby: Maybe this time things will be different.

Fiona: Maybe or maybe they will be more true than ever before.

(They stare at each other. The end.)

© 2010 Forgotten and Loved


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

Bobby is an idiot haha. But I really enjoyed this. I think in bobby's first paragraph when he was talking about understand the impossible, you spelled impossible like
impossible,m
Just so you know :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a good idea for a play, but there are a couple of issues I had with it. First of all, Fiona's character was very one dimensional and not that believable. Her only purpose was to spark Bobby's long speeches. In fact, it seemed a little bizarre that Bobby would be so forthright about creating a partner for sexual and emotional satisfaction with his sister. Since he's a scientist, it may be better to replace Fiona with a fellow scientist, that way you can still keep the friendless theme in tact. Also, a little action wouldn't hurt the play. You could cut out some of the fat of Bobby's monologues as he tends to repeat himself and actually represent some facet of him attempting to build this ideal woman. But other than that, I thought it was an interesting read. Definitely a clever idea for a play and a concept that has a lot of potential. I just think you need to develop the idea a little more. Figure what it was about the plot that made you want to write it in the first place.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Fair. Not so much a stage play as a circular argument of ideas. The characters seem a bit flat. Other than being self centered I don't get much from them.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 28, 2010
Last Updated on August 28, 2010

Author

Forgotten and Loved
Forgotten and Loved

Jackson, MI



Writing
The Clown The Clown

A Stage Play by Forgotten and Loved


The Call The Call

A Stage Play by Forgotten and Loved



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Rain Rain

A Poem by Alz Alz