No title yet

No title yet

A Story by Coco_Marie22
"

This is the first part of a longer story.

"
     The building was hot and over-crowded. Apparently 6:45 on a Friday night was the unspoken time for every New-Yorker to convene in the lobby of the post office. Kelsey Scott looked over the sea of bodies and spotted the counter she needed to get to and once again wondered why she was doing this. Of course she knew why she was at the post office. She was there to get a package for her boss. But she didn't know why she was doing a mail run for her boss. She was his secretary, not his personal assistant. But because it was the only job she could get, she knew she really shouldn't complain.
     She pushed some strands of hair out of her face and started making her way through the congregation of people. After making it through the majority of the crowd, Kelsey sighed when she saw the long line at the pick up counter. She had planned on being done with work at 6:00 and going home for a relaxing glass of red wine and a bubble bath but somehow her boss had roped her into running his errands for him. As she stood in the barely-moving line, Kelsey noticed a man leaning against the wall about twenty feet away. It didn't take her long to realize why he had caught her eye. He had to be at least 6'2 and his shirt was tightly stretched across his muscled chest. Her eyes traveled up to his face and took in his slight five o'clock shadow, his strong cheek bones and tousled, black hair. When his head turned her way and their eyes locked, she felt like she was falling. His eyes were so memorizing she thought she would never be able to look away. That was until his lips curled into a devilish smirk and Kelsey realized she was probably openly gawking at him. She snapped her eyes away from him, blushing furiously. Well that wasn't embarrassing at all, thought Kelsey. He's probably over there laughing at me. Oh well, its not like I'm ever gonna see him again.  Kelsey finally made it to the counter and waited for the attendant to bring up her boss' packages. He returned with three large parcels and she stifled a loud sigh wondering why the hell her boss couldn't get his own damn packages. It took her a couple of minutes but she got all three packages and her purse balanced in her arms. She turned, gritted her teeth and began making her way back through the crowd. She was almost through and could see the doors when someone turned right into her. Both her and the packages went flying. She looked up angry and ready to give the person a piece of her mind about watching where they were going when a husky voice came from above.
     "I'm sorry! I didn't see you there!"
     Two large hands gripped her arms and lifted her to her feet. She looked up and there he was. It was the same man who had caught her staring at him earlier. Well this is just great! First he catches me practically drooling over him and then he has to see me fall and throw my stuff everywhere. Graceful Kelsey. You are on the top of your game.
     "It...its okay. It was probably my fault. I wasn't really paying much attention" sputtered Kelsey as she she stooped to pick up the closest package, attempting to hide the red rushing to her face. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the mystery man lean over and pick up her purse and one of the other packages. After she grabbed the last package, the man held the items out to her,
      "You didn't hurt yourself did you? That was quite a fall."
     "No I'm fine. Thank you." Kelsey took her purse and the package, "I'm sorry I ran into you. It was my mistake". With that she turned and hurried towards the door. The fresh air felt good on her warm cheeks and she took a deep breath trying to calm her beating heart. She usually didn't get that flustered around guys so she chalked her awkward encounter up to her long day of work.

     Finally home, Kelsey shed her jacket, kicked off her heels and placed the packages on her counter praying to God that nothing in them had broken during the fall. She couldn't wait to get out of her work clothes and into a bubble bath. In the hall on her way to the bathroom, Kelsey did a three-sixty and returned to the kitchen to retrieve her purse. She dug through her blue bag, her fingers seeking the smooth feel of her iPhone.  After a couple minutes of searching like this, Kelsey peered into her bag, rummaging past her keys and various makeup items. When this search come up with nothing, Kelsey started to worry and dumped the contents of her purse onto the white counter top. A handful of coins clattered on the counter's surface, a tube of rose colored lipstick rolled off the side and bounced onto the wood floor and a couple of stray bobby pins spilled out. But there was no  phone. Kelsey gave the bag a couple more shakes and then frantically searched the empty bag with no results. She dashed out to her car and searched it from top to bottom, even checking the trunk despite the fact she hadn't even opened it all day. Where the heck could it be? she thought, I know I had it when I left work. Maybe someone took it? After racking her brain some more, Kelsey realized there was a possibility her phone fell out when she dropped her bag in the post office. Thank God this apartment has a landline. Kelsey snatched the phone out of the cradle and called her cell number. She was greeted with three rings and her answering machine: Ring! Ring! Ring! You've reached Kelsey Scott. Please leave a message and I'll get back to you. Beep. D****t! She pulled out an old, dusty phone book and dialed the number of the post office.
    "U.S. Post Office this is Gale. How may I help you?"
    "Hi, my name is Kelsey Scott. I was at your post office earlier and I think I left my cell phone there. Has anyone turned in a lost iPhone?"The attendant answered with
     "I'm sorry but no. If you leave me a number, I'll give you a call if we find anything."
After giving Gale her contact information, Kelsey hung up the phone. What should I do now? she wondered. I guess I can try calling my cell again. Ring! Ring! Too Kelsey's surprise, a deep voice answered,
     "Hello? Who is this?"
     "Hi! I'm the owner of the cell you just answered. That phone has a lot of important work information on it and I really need it back. Can we meet up or something?" Instead of an answer, Kelsey heard a click. How dare he just hang up on me! Who does he think he is?! She hit re-dial, ready to threaten to call the police.
     "You need to stop calling and forget about this phone. Sorry, you're not getting it back" Click.


© 2016 Coco_Marie22


Author's Note

Coco_Marie22
I would just like to know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on March 28, 2016
Last Updated on March 28, 2016
Tags: mystery, story, lost, phone

Author

Coco_Marie22
Coco_Marie22

Moscow, ID



About
I'm a college student who loves to write but I never seem to have the time. When I do write, I tend to write horror or mystery/thriller stories. I also love to read and my favorite animals are wolves. more..

Writing