The adventures in Nevada

The adventures in Nevada

A Story by Carmen
"

I went camping in Nevada and I had so much fun. This is basically my perspective on the whole experience.

"

This all happened in Nevada. I was in Sacramento before I drove to Nevada. I was grabbing my chevron blue Jansport backpack as I was organizing my clothes to head to a campsite in Nevada. I was gonna go with around 10 more families that we all knew very well. They ranged from  relatives to really close family friends and this is just like being neighbors with all of them. I was very excited because this was gonna be my first time in 2 years going to camp because I always went to Mexico during the summer. Me and my brother wouldn’t shut up for weeks because we were just too excited for this trip. Although we were gonna stay there for 3 days and 2 nights it was gonna be a whole lot of fun. I was also excited because this was gonna be my baby brother’s first time camping and I’d like to see how he would adapt to a new environment. So I was putting some lotion and sunscreen in my makeup bag as my mom was telling me to finish up my packing. So I was walking around in the hallway as I see my mom and my dad almost finished up. I went back and saw my brothers watching SpongeBob so I assumed they were actually finished.

                               I walk down the kitchen to the garage and saw our family car and it was an 8-seater Nissan Armada which had plenty of space to fit everything but there was a change that would make everything more full…...the blankets. Since we knew that in Nevada it was insanely cold, we brought A LOT of blankets which toke up a lot of space in the car but it wasn’t THAT MUCH.. It just toke �" of the space. So I was being in charge of the bag that had our lake essentials, since we were all gonna swim in the lake. So I was checking the list my mom had prepared for me the night before and before I knew it… I was done. I doubled check and I was pretty good so I went to my backyard and fed my dog some food and went back inside. I saw my mom and dad loading random crap into the car in garbage bags so it would all avoid getting dirty at the camp.

                So I was walking to my mom as my baby brother started crying. I was like ,”He's gonna make my mom slow down and she is really busy and he had just been fed.” So I told my mom that I can take care of him so she gave my me 3 month old brother and I headed to my room to add some last items on my bag. I had my brother laying on my bed with his  pacifier on his mouth and he was as quiet as a fish. I started adding my nighttime robe and my sandals in the bag. I imagined that I was already finished so I started finding my lunch bag in the kitchen as I give my mom my brother.

Mom: Are you finished with your clothes?

Me: I think so

Mom: Ok good want to help me with the sebastian's (baby) clothes?

Me: Sure let me just grab some snacks for the road

Mom: Ok.. Make sure to grab some snacks for everyone

Me: Ok and I'll bring some water bottles

Mom: Don't forget to grab some napkins

I head to my mom's room as I see my dad grabbing some Pajamas from the closet. I step aside and pulled out the cabinet with my baby brothers clothes. I decided that my brother should bring something comfortable but not too soft because it would be hot during the road. I saw this perfect onesie that wasn't too thick and it seemed as if it would be perfect for a car trip that lasted for more than an hour. As my family was finishing up their packing, I decided to change my brother so my mom didn't have to waste her time. As I went to the living room.. He was already changed into the onesie that I choosed. I looked around and saw that my dad had already changed him that quickly. So I went to the truck to see that it was already filled up with crap and we were all almost ready to go. I change into the most comfortable clothes and wore a hot pink sweater. I saw my 12 went old brother wearing some jeans that personally looked uncomfortable.

Me: Why would you wear THOSE on a car trip?

Brother: They are actually comfortable

Me: Are you serious because we are gonna spend a long time in a car and even my mom is wearing Jeggings

Brother: The thing that is weird about me is that I found jeans comfortable to sleep in.

Me: That's gross

Brother: Aren't we about to go to the car?

Me: Yeah in a bit

I left my brother and went to the kitchen as my stomach was growling. I grabbed a nature valley granola bar and ate that as fast as the Flash. So I saw my dad starting up the car as my mom was putting my baby brother in the car seat. So then, my dad put the stroller, tent box,and other big items on top of the car and he tighten It up pretty well with a rope used for the car roofs. I get in the car with my luggage as me, my dad, mom, 2 brothers, and one baby brother get in the car. I started having mixed emotions because ... I haven't been camping since forever. I was gonna miss my house because I won't be there for a whole weekend and It has all the access to the wifi but this will be a whole lot of fun. As we starting leaving the house, I saw the beautiful views alongside the street. We barely talked much because my mom was calling my grandma because she wouldn’t have time to call her during the time at camp. I saw the freeway exit and I was ready to leave Sacramento for the better. Once we past Roseville, there was amazing views of the trees and there was also a giant castle, which caught my attention. After passing Elk Grove, there was a huge Auto Mall and I remember telling my mom that all of those cars were pretty and I’d really like to get the 2017 Nissan Altima once we are in the year 2019. We had pretty short conversations but we did bond over the car trip. I remember looking down at my shoes and thinking ,” woah… these are gonna turn plain brown!” I remember many things like the twisted tree with a bandanna tied on the branch which really caught my attention, but I remember falling asleep. Once I woke up I saw a sign that read “Nevada Irrigation District” I don’t remember if it said irrigation but it sounded like it. I was excited as I was talking to my mom

Me: Are we almost there yet?

Mom: Almost! (With a smiling face of excitement)

Me: Can't wait to get there!

Mom: We are actually nearby the entrance

I seriously did not recognize that we were actually nearby the entrance and I started freaking out even though camping was from saturday till monday. I saw a big sign with a bear and didn't realize that our campsite was right next to the admission office. Everyone came on friday but we decided to come on a friday. I had so many items on my lap since my truck was so crowded till the fact where my legs felt numb. I removed the items and I saw cars that seem as if they belonged to people I knew. I recognized my cousin running around in the dirt so I told my mom that we were actually here. I saw my mom and dad turn to me like I was a freak and they didn’t believe me that the campsite was right next to the exit. We went straight down the road and  turned right 2 times and reverse parked right next to the kitchen. We started by getting off the car and greeting everybody and seeing familiar faces. Then we ate breakfast and went straight to set up our tent which actually fits 4 queen mattresses. Once that was finished, we unpacked and organized the tent. I helped then saw that the adults and kids were gonna play a volleyball match. I decided to play along with my brother and my mom and many other people. Once the match was over, I saw my friends and sat with them to chat.

Me: So how was yesterday?

Friend: It was actually fun but at night… it was SOOO cold

Me: Good thing I wasn't there

Friend: Well at night we played hide-and-go-seek and that was insane and we are all planning to play this game every night we have here

Me: That sounds insane I can't wait to start but I just don't want this night to end!!

Friend: We are actually planning to go to the lake.. Wanna come along?

Me: Sure!!

I started preparing to go to the lake as I notice that I forgot my most favorite towel at home. I started to freak out but then I went over to the tent and grabbed my other towel. Then we headed to the lake and had so much fun. The lake was nice and all but only me my dad and brothers went as my mom and the other moms decided to stay back in the campsite. I returned in the car as everyone went walking. So I went back to grab my new clothes and take a shower. I actually imagined the showers and the bathrooms being super far away, but you only needed to cross a road and walk around 15 steps which isn’t so far away. Once I reached the bathroom there was 4 stalls and 1 shower which was covered up with a stall door and in the corner it had some curtains. I thought that there would be no privacy when you took a shower in camp, but there is a lot of privacy, which was good. I also imagined that the showers in the camp would be horrible, but they turned out to be ok but I mean having the feeling of hundreds other people using this shower can actually freak you out.

We ate hamburgers and hot dogs because my mom’s friend was gonna celebrate her daughter’s and her son’s birthday at the campsite which were delicious and I ate 3 hot dogs and 2 hamburgers. As the day came to an end we all played hide and go seek in the middle of the night which was so fun but it was scary. The following days were the same but I remembered that everyone was complaining on the fact that they did not have any blankets. I looked over at our tent and saw that we had so many blankets till the fact where I was actually comfortable. As we approached the night I remembered we did a lot of memorable things like prank calling,truth or dare, s'mores, corn night, and so much more. I consider myself to be lucky to have these opportunities because I get opportunities to go camping every single year and now that we choose to go this year… this just made my 2016 better. As we approached the last day I remembered that I just didn't want to leave because I was together with everyone but I mean time goes so fast up to the point where you just lose track. We left and during the road, I just felt car sick but luckily, I didn’t throw up.

© 2016 Carmen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on November 8, 2016
Last Updated on November 8, 2016

Author

Carmen
Carmen

Writing
Revenge Revenge

A Poem by Carmen