"It's Always Hard Letting Go"

"It's Always Hard Letting Go"

A Story by Cody Williams
"

It's Always Hard Letting Go! But now, Tyler doesn't need to.

"

“It’s Always Hard Letting Go”

By Cody Williams

 

            “Hey Gabe! Come on in!” Tyler said as he opened the front door and moved to his side allowing Gabriel to enter his house. Tyler shut the door behind the two of them and led his best friend into the dining room. “Have a seat Gabe! The food will be ready in a bit!” Tyler said as he left the dining room and walked down the hall to the master bedroom. Gabe sat there in silence for a few moments waiting for his good friend to return. But to tell you the truth, he didn’t really want to be there. He almost felt uncomfortable being there.

            After all, this was the first time he had seen his good friend in almost a year. In fact, the last time they did see each other was at his mother’s funeral. Tyler always has been a momma’s boy and her sudden death from lung cancer was enough to knock him off the wagon. He showed to the funeral completely hammered and wracking havoc. When Gabe went to go calm him down the two had a fight that eventually led to the parking lot.

            Gabe was stricken speechless when he received a phone call earlier this week to have what Tyler called a “catch-up dinner”. Gabe continued to look around and sit impatiently for his friend to return to the table. As he looked around the place he began to realize that not many things have changed since he had inherited the house from his mother. Her stuff was still everywhere. Her glass duck figurines still sat in the window seal and her rooster themed cooking utensils remained the same.

            Gabe glanced back down the hallway at the door that Tyler went into and just stared at it. All was silent for a moment and then he began to hear the door slowly creek open. The door just opened slightly and Tyler just squeezed out of it before quickly shutting it. It was as if there was something in there that Tyler didn’t want anyone else to see. Gabe quickly turned his attention away from the door and Tyler reentered the dining room. He walked over to the oven and put on a pair of oven mits. He opened the oven door and then reached in pulling out a pan of Hamburger Helper and quickly setting it on the table. He pulled back the chair at the opposite end of the table and then reached back to the sink grabbing a plastic spatula. Tyler got back to the table and sat down.

            “Long time no see huh?” Tyler asked as the reached and grabbed a while glass plate and slid it over to Gabe. Tyler took the plastic spatula and shoved it into the Hamburger Helper. He cut out a perfectly square slice and placed it on Gabe’s plate. He did the same for him and then handed Gabe a fork.

            “So, why did you invite me here Tyler?” Gabe asked him what he had really been thinking all week. Tyler giggled and looked up at him.

            “Why not? We are best friends aren’t we?” Tyler asked him with a welcoming yet somehow creepy smile.

            “Yeah…I guess we are.” Gabe said as he tried to pretend that everything was all right. But the awkward silence still fell over the two. They ate there and occasionally looked up at each other.

            “So, how’s your dad getting along?” Gabe asked Tyler. Tyler stopped eating for a moment and just sat there.

            “He’s doing great! Better than ever!” Tyler answered enthusiastically.

            “Well, I’m glad to hear that he’s doing better. Where is he?” Gabe asked.

“Why, he’s in the basement! I’ll take you down there and you two can catch up!” Tyler promised. Gabe nodded in agreement and the two sat in silence again. After finishing their dinners Gabe just had to ask again.

            “So, why did you really want me to come here? I mean, we haven’t spoken in almost a year!” Gabe wondered. Tyler laughed and then turned to Gabe.

            “Why don’t we go down stairs and have a poker game with dad? Then I’ll explain everything.” Tyler said. Gabe agreed. “Great, you go on down the stairs and I’ll be down there in a second. There’s someone…I mean something that I have to check up on in the bedroom first!” Tyler said. Gabe nodded and then walked towards the basement door and then walked down the stairs.

            A strange odor came across him as he reached the halfway point. The smell was foul. The foulest thing he had ever smelt. It nearly made him sick to his stomach. He reached up and placed his hand over his mouth and nose and continued to walk down the stairs. Gabe reached the basement floor and looked around. The only light that was shining was hanging in from the ceiling over a wooden table with three wooden chairs sat around it. Gabe began to make his way towards the table when he began to hear movement from upstairs.

            “I guess Tyler’s on his way.” He said to himself. He heard the door open and Tyler appeared from the darkness. He was holding a knife along with a needle and some thread.

            “What are you doing with that Tyler? Where are the playing cards? Where is your dad at?” Gabe asked with worry.

            “Why, dad’s right over there.” Tyler said as he pointed into the dark corner. Stepping from the dark corner was Ray, Tyler’s father. But something was different. Something was wrong. He looked paler than usual and he had stiches covering his entire body.

            “Good God! What the f**k happened to him?” Gabe asked with shock.

            “Why, I had to keep his skin together somehow!” Tyler replied. Stepping out from behind Tyler was Marry, his mother. Gabe’s mouth dropped open with disbelief. She looked exactly like she did when she was buried except her nose showed signs of rotting and there were stiches all up and down her body as well.

            “What did you do to them Tyler? What in God’s name did you do?” Gabe asked him.

            “Isn’t it great? I took it very hard when mom died. So bad to the point to where I checked out a Voodoo book from the library. It was all quite simple. I just dug her body up and went to work. It took a little bit longer with her though. Her nose began to show signs of rotting but I was finally able to do it.” Tyler told him.

            “Do what? What the f**k did you do?” Gabe shouted.

            “Why, I brought her back from the dead my boy! That’s exactly what I did!” Tyler said proudly. “Remember when I used to hunt and stuff my own animals? Well, it was pretty much the same principal.” Tyler said with a sick sadistic grin on his face.

            “But what about your dad? He didn’t even die!” Gabe argued.

            “That’s true! But was going to ruin everything. He was going to tell the cops! So I killed him! I killed him with this knife!” He said as he held up the knife. “That’s when it really occurred to me. If I did the same thing to him, he’ll be with me forever. So that’s what I did! I stuffed him two and now we’ll be together forever!” Tyler explained.

            “But why Tyler? Why did you bring me here?” Gabe asked.

            “Because I didn’t want things to be weird between the two of us anymore. I just want things like they used to be. And I want it that way forever! And there’s only one way to do that!” Tyler said as he began to make his way towards Gabe with the knife. “You see Gabriel, it’s always hard letting go…and now I don’t have to!” He said happily as the knife slid into Gabe’s torso.

 

            “Royal flush!” Tyler said happily as he laid down his hand and began to rake in the poker chips.

            “Damnit!” Tyler’s dad shouted as he threw down his cards.

            “Anymore chips boys?” Tyler’s mom asked as she placed them in the center of the table. “And here’s a few more beers too!” She added.

            “Now isn’t this what we always wanted Gabe?” Tyler asked his now smiling stuffed friend sitting on the edge of the table.

            “Absolutely!” He said as they continued to play poker.


Copyright 2014 by Cody Williams

Courtesy of TRUE TERROR PUBLICATIONS

A division of TTP Entertainment

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected </p><p class=SH82-VQX6-XCKN-VFSU" title="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 

SH82-VQX6-XCKN-VFSU" width="150" height="40" src="http://static.copyrighted.com/images/seal.gif" />

© 2014 Cody Williams


Author's Note

Cody Williams
I have always been a fan of the 1950's EC comics and the TV HBO adaptation of TALES FROM THE CRYPT. I went out to see a musical the other day called 'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street' As soon as I saw "Demon Barber" promo poster I was hooked.

Anyway, the show was great and it was put on at a local community college called Walters State. The thing I remember the most about that ending was how much the ending reminded me of TALES FROM THE CRYPT. That's when I began to think. TALES FROM THE CRYPT somehow always had that cheesy, but at the same time cool, title and all of the episodes ended with a macabre twist. I decided I wanted to write a story like that.

Then my favorite country music star, Ronnie Dunn of Brooks & Dunn, came out with his second solo album. The fourth track on the album is a song called "Heart Letting Go". Just by seeing that the title of that song "It's Always Hard Letting Go" popped in my head. That's when I had my title...and then the story just began to write itself.

I hope everybody enjoys it! It was a blast to write...especially towards the end.

-CW

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The story was amazing. I didn't realized what type of story it was till the end. I like the description of the characters and the situation. From the funeral to the surprise ending. You kept my attention. Thank you for the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reading Coyote!

-CW



Reviews

The story was amazing. I didn't realized what type of story it was till the end. I like the description of the characters and the situation. From the funeral to the surprise ending. You kept my attention. Thank you for the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reading Coyote!

-CW
Liked comics, as a kid we were divided into two camps, DC or Marvell, but their magic has been destroyed by a huge number of junky action films..

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Agreed Leslie! Thanks for reading!

-CW
I didn't think 'stitching' was what 'family togetherness' meant; excellent story!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Michael!

-CW
Well, thisis really gruesome. I thought something was going to happen with the mother, and then I realized something bad had happened to the father too. But I never saw the end coming as it did.

It's really neat how they were able to sit around the table and play cards.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Marie! That's what I like to call a 'TALES FROM THE CRYPT' type ending. I'm glad .. read more
A love for mother ... that has crossed the ability of the son ... to deal with it. Its a sad moment ... and is certainly an affirmation of our own sympathies for the mother's passing. But digging it up ... and dressing it to sit in the game room is new. But so is burying the mother in the graveyard ... compared to the days when man used to bury the deceased under the bed ... in the bedroom.

We therefore ask ... what is normal? ... and realize that its dependent on the way love moves our heads and in some cases ... our minds. Nice.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Dayran!

-CW
This is amazing story keep up the great work and keep them coming you should turn this into a book.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

This really means a lot! Thanks for reading Melissa! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

-CW
melissa

10 Years Ago

Your welcome
A bit of the danse macabre. Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Jon!

-CW
Jon Roggie

10 Years Ago

No problem. My pleasure.
Another one of your wonderful stories. You are ever the creative...:)...............

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Many thanks Sami!

-CW
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

Many welcomes...:).....................

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

272 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 19, 2014
Last Updated on April 20, 2014
Tags: horror, shock, suspense, short story, crime, thriller, Cody Williams, gothic

Author

Cody Williams
Cody Williams

Elizabethton, TN



About
I am in my second year at Carson-Newman University in Jefferson City, Tennessee were I major in instrumental music education and minor in English. My passions include playing the trombone/euphonium an.. more..

Writing